PDA

View Full Version : What is SPIC?

airmiles
13th Dec 2005, 14:08
Can anyone please tell me what the difference is between PIC and SPIC? As I did most of my training in the States, they do not have the term SPIC. I need to know as I need to fill this out for the CPL JAA issuance. It requires PIC hours and SPIC hours.

Hoping someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks

FlyingForFun
13th Dec 2005, 14:24
The answer is in LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS_06_WEB.pdf), Section A, Appendix A, Definitions And Abbreviations:Student pilot-in-command (SPIC)

Flight time during which the flight instructor will only observe the student acting as pilot-in-command and shall not influence or control the flight of the aircraft. SPIC hours can only be accredited for graduates of Integrated Courses for ATPL (A)/(H) and CPL(A)/IRSo, unless you did an integrated course, you have not logged any SPIC time. (If you did an integrated course, your school will be able to help you.)

FFF
-----------------

airmiles
13th Dec 2005, 14:37
I see, so if I am a modular student, that would mean then that I have no SPIC time whatsoever. Supervised solo in the States, does that not count for anything in the JAA system? The school I have just come from in Florida did not help me with any of these questions.

Thanks for helping.

FlyingForFun
13th Dec 2005, 15:27
Supervised solo counts as P1.

FFF
----------------

Stan Evil
15th Dec 2005, 17:42
What do you mean by 'supervised solo'?

Normally only one person in an aircraft can be PIC. The only exceptions under JAA are SPIC on integrated courses and successful flight tests for rating issue where the instructor/examiner claims PIC and the student claims SPIC or PIC u/s respectively.

If you have a licence and someone else flys with you then you are PIC unless he has a licence and he claims PIC; in that case you can claim Pu/t if he's an instructor or nothing at all if he isn't.

It's all in LASORS

BEagle
15th Dec 2005, 18:48
'Supervised solo' is solo flying conducted by a non-licence holder under the supervision of a FI who is NOT in the aeroplane with the pilot.

Edited to clarify that, apart from integrated course SPIC flying at a FTO, there is no such thing as 'solo' flying with a FI on board in the UK civil flying training world.

FlyingForFun
15th Dec 2005, 21:22
Update to my last post. I said:Supervised solo counts as P1Since then, I have an idea that "supervised solo" in JAR-speak and in FAR-speak may not be the same thing?

If you are on your own in an aircraft, the instructor is on the ground supervising you, then you are P1. This is what I understand by "supervised solo".

However, I have an inkling that in FAR-speak, "supervised solo" might mean that the instructor is in the aircraft, but not influencing the controls? Is that correct? In JAR-speak, if you are a student pilot and not on an integrated course, you must log that as PUT. To log it as P1 (supervised solo) would definitely be incorrect, since the instructor, if not captain of the aircraft, would have to be a passenger, and you as a student are not allowed to carry passengers.

Not sure if I've understood the FAA position correctly though?

FFF
----------------

Send Clowns
16th Dec 2005, 00:26
Isn't it an hispanic student pilot? Sorry, someone had to say it. Everyone was thinking it :O

BEagle
16th Dec 2005, 07:04
Perhaps in these more enlightened times it would indeed be wise for anyone visiting Florida to be aware that 'Spic' is a derogatory term for an Hispanic person. So, when talking about SPIC, describe it as 'Ess Pee Eye See' if you want to avoid giving offense.

Fish Out of Water
16th Dec 2005, 12:44
Is 'spic under supervision' still in use. Got to watch these chaps!:suspect:

Send Clowns
16th Dec 2005, 13:45
The point i was making, BEagle, but you are right, perhaps I was not doing so in the politically approved way. :E

BEagle
16th Dec 2005, 14:08
Es igual, muchacho!

Diamond 'katana' geezer
16th Dec 2005, 15:58
So to drag another, "how to log time" question along a bit more....

Lets say you've not got enough hours on type/class to fly solo purely because of insurance reasons. Otherwise you are adequately qualified to be PIC of that aircraft. Insurance stipulates that instructor must come along with you until you have x hours....now is that PIC? or PUT? or PFlyingButNotLogging

Ooh this stuff in scintillating...I’m positively buzzing.

But I do want to know...!

Geez:cool: