PDA

View Full Version : A Thought About our Troops in Harm's Way

SASless
12th Dec 2005, 20:02
I ran across this the other day....and felt it was worth sharing with those that come to this forum. The Thought contained in the video is one that applies to all of our friends and comrades serving in Harm's Way no matter what service or nation they serve.

I hope you enjoy it.

http://soldierworks.com/untilthen.htm

Turn the volume up....the music is especially nice.

Brian Dixon
12th Dec 2005, 20:26
Thank you for posting that.

To all service men and women serving away from their loved ones over the Festive period, please take a little comfort that there are those of us back home who are thinking of you and yours.

Stay safe and I hope you all return home in the near future.

Thank you for doing what you do.

Brian

aytoo
12th Dec 2005, 21:43
SASless,

Thanx for that - a really tasteful piece, despite the overwhelming taste of Spam! Seriously, a sentiment I am sure that is shared by all those of us who have been in harms way, but now sleep safe in our beds while others guard our sleep.

The Swinging Monkey
12th Dec 2005, 21:57
SASless
Just great - respect.

To all those away from loved ones, especially at this time of the year, I offer my sincere best wishes to you all.

I have been there and know what its like, but take comfort in knowing that we are thinking of you and hope you will soon be back home with your loved ones.

Merry Christmas to all our servicemen and women.
Kind regards
TSM
'Caruthers, join me ina toast to our heroes'

Talking Radalt
12th Dec 2005, 22:09
The subtle touches of humour are also very good, (or is that "humor"? ;))
That guy sat with all his kit by the road side as a convoy goes past....holding out a hitch hiking placard.....just says "Florida".
Like it. :ok:

Charlie Luncher
12th Dec 2005, 22:37
Sasless

Respect - it gave some solace to Memsahib as I sit here packing my gear for another all expenses paid trip to the land of sand in a few days.:sad:

Wonder if I'll get mince pies and port this year?:sad:

Charlie sends

snafu
12th Dec 2005, 22:44
A beautifully constructed piece of work.

I've got a lot of friends who will be spending their Chirstmas in the sand pit. To them and everyone who will be away from their families over the next few weeks - have a safe det and try to enjoy as much of it as you can.:ok:

Farmer 1
13th Dec 2005, 07:48
Some excellent photos - the others are beyond my ability to describe adequately.

As I write, I am like photo No. 37, if of a different colour.

nutcracker43
13th Dec 2005, 08:15
Sassles,

As always, another good one! I echo the toughts of JD and all the others who have contributed their thoughts thus far.

A Happy Christmas and a safe and happy new year to all the men and women who make our world a safer one and protect the likes of you and yours and me and mine.

NC43

Rakshasa
13th Dec 2005, 08:19
Very poignant, SASless. Thanks for sharing.

PPRuNe Pop
13th Dec 2005, 08:28
Sasless

Thanks. One of the most moving tributes to the guys and girls in harm's way I have seen.

I will say this, on behalf of PPRune, that we wish you a safe and Happy Christmas and pray that you will keep OUT of harm's way - and have safe return to those who love you.

God bless.

lasernigel
13th Dec 2005, 10:16
Well done SASless as an ex squaddie find it a great shame nowadays that a lot of people take us all for granted.To all forces personnel past and present.Take care and have Happy Christmas and a great New Year.:ok:

SmilingKnifed
13th Dec 2005, 23:53
Best wishes to everyone away and their families behind. Come home safe.

SK and Family

cobaltfrog
14th Dec 2005, 19:27
AWESOME, just AWESOME.

Very thoughtful, very well done

FJJP
14th Dec 2005, 21:41
SASless, thank you.

Be safe my son, take care and return safely to your wife and 2 children.

My hero.

Dad

ShyTorque
14th Dec 2005, 22:43
Very poignant, SASless.

Let's hope they decide to bring 'em home safely soon.

Tigs2
15th Dec 2005, 12:26
Thanks SASless
very moving
Merry Christmas to all our heros

Tigs

WorkingHard
15th Dec 2005, 19:38
From one who has been there and back (a long time ago) and returned completely unscathed, my heartfelt thanks and good wishes to all who serve in far flung corners. May your God bring you home safe and sound.

Safeware
16th Dec 2005, 19:48
SASless,

Fantastic post, esp the 'My Daddy.. My hero', brought lump to throat, for kids are hit hardest with least understanding of why the have to miss daddy, or mummy.

To all who have to serve away from home at this time of year, be it on guard, on QRA or on/supporting operations, my best wishes and regards to you and you families.

sw

MightyGem
17th Dec 2005, 03:34
Thanks for bringing that to our attention SASless. There is an attitude displayed towards the military in the US, that would be nice to see over here.

FJJP
17th Dec 2005, 07:58
Tourist

You are entitled to your opinion; however, do not defile a thread that is there to allow people to express their support for the men and women of the Allied Forces who are in daily danger in the service of their country.

I wish to God people in this country gave our Servicemen the same support as the Americans give theirs.

I found it particularly poignant because my son is on the ground in a war zone and in daily danger in the service of this country. I am looking out for his wife and 2 children until his return next year - they will be without their husband and father this Christmas.

I hope you never find yourself in my position, dreading every news bulletin and praying that that knock on the door never happens.

If you were a half decent human being you would apologise and delete your post.

I pray daily that our men and women in harms way return safely.

FJJP

Clockwork Mouse
17th Dec 2005, 08:11
Tourist

What an unpleasant post that does you no credit! Sentimental, emotional, well crafted and beautifully presented perhaps, as befitting a Christmas message.

Those young men and women are professional soldiers doing their duty and spending Christmas away from their loved ones and in harm's way. Where will you be spending yours?

Show respect and compassion for them.

BEagle
17th Dec 2005, 08:37
tourist, whilst the style of the tribute might not be to your taste, to denigrate it in the way you did, knowing that it clearly provides much solace for many, was unspeakably cruel.

You, sir, are an utter ar$e.

PPRuNe Pop
17th Dec 2005, 08:48
I had a mind to delete his post. However, it is right and proper that he does that himself and we await his apology.

It was a completely unnecessary and offensive remark. The voices of disgust are deserved.

jumpseater
17th Dec 2005, 09:29
tourist, try it without the sound, I can't hear it on this pc, takes nothing away from the images though or the story behind them.

Red Line Entry
17th Dec 2005, 11:23
I think you're being overly hard on Tourist. To me he did not imply that those on overseas service did not deserve praise or our thoughts and best wishes, rather that this particular method of doing so was "vacuous, overblown, meladramatic spew ".

If that was the case, then he is entitled to his opinion. An English "stiff upper lip" in comparison to the more "heart on sleeve" approach of our American cousins.

If I'm wrong, and he was implying that the troops deserve no recognition, then he is, of course, an @rse!

Tourist
17th Dec 2005, 11:30
Red Line Entry, you hit the nail on the head. Glad that not everyone succumbs to such claptrap.
I believe it's just another step to becoming an american, just like all the Diana's Funeral, George Best b@llocks.
Incidentally I'll be spending Christmas in the Persian Gulf. Lovely and Sunny it is too. Much better than that chilly UK winter.:p

PPRuNe Pop
17th Dec 2005, 12:05
tourist

It seems that it is beyond your understanding regarding the offence you have caused. Fair enough. It takes all sorts to make a world, and fortunately not too many like you who have an opinion so diverse from others who have feelings.

I suspect though, since you yourself are in the Gulf, the good-minded people on here will include you in their concerns for the guys and girls out there. Even though you seem heartless. Btw, 'meladramatic' is spelt melodramatic - don't suppose anyone will hold it against you.

Sorry, but I have still deleted your post since it demeans the purpose of this thread and has no place here.

Have a good Christmas.

FJJP
17th Dec 2005, 12:52
PP Pop, thank you.

FJJP

SRENNAPS
17th Dec 2005, 19:25
SASless, thank you.

My wife and I shed more than a few tears when we saw that.

I just wish the British public were made more aware of the dangers and conditions that OUR Armed Forces, across the world, put up with to make our entire world a better place.

Our thoughts go to everbody serving away from home and family.