PDA

View Full Version : The Pointy End

MaxHelixAngle
12th Dec 2005, 02:30
Gday,

I know this may sound like its been done to death but just a quick question to all of you airline pilots in particualr Virgin and Qantas. I am currently a CPL and aspire to be an airline pilot (no surprises). What is your airlines policy on flight deck visits?

A few times before particually on Qantas I have been allowed up front before or after engine start, however some times when I ask I get told its airline policy not to allow this. The visits I have been allowed have been great, it is really motivating to see you guys enjoying your job and get a look of what I hope to be flying one day. Whats the story? Any tips on how to go about getting a peak of the pointy end?

MHA

DirectAnywhere
12th Dec 2005, 03:12
With QF, nup inflight.

Possibly after shutdown but that's a bit boring and all the guys and girls usually want to do at that point is get home anyway.

DOTARS regulations would require a similar policy from Virgin so, I'm sorry mate, but it looks like a no go these days.

DeBurcs
12th Dec 2005, 04:33
it is really motivating to see you guys enjoying your job I could use a little motivation these days.

Unfortunately, Osama Bin Ladin and all his mooso fckuing terrorist mates have ruined it for everyone.

Since Australia has wisely invited half of the worlds supply of these pr!cks into the country, we can now no longer trust anyone... even you!

That said, even in the good ol' days, the guys normally only showed interest in cockpit visitors if they had nice jugs. :p

maxgrad
12th Dec 2005, 07:58
Damn! Knew I should have offered them beer all those years ago:}

ITCZ
12th Dec 2005, 12:42
MaxHelix, sorry to say that as of March 10th of this year, the last nail was driven into the coffin of flight deck visits.

Jumpseat is now only available to company crew, company employees, and CASA surveillance or similar.

My wife, my dad, my youngsters, aviation enthusiasts, aspiring pilots -- not allowed.

Sad day.

You can thank the new Aviation Transport Security Regulations 2005.

4.67 Security of flight crew compartment — all aircraft

(1) This regulation applies to an aircraft that is used to operate a prescribed air service.

(2) If such an aircraft has a cockpit door:
(a) the door must be able to be locked; and
(b) there must be a means for the cabin crew to communicate with the flight crew while the door is locked.

(3) If the aircraft has a cockpit door, the door must remain locked from the time the aircraft’s passenger doors are closed and secured for departure until they are unlocked to allow the passengers to disembark, except:
(a) when necessary to allow a person to enter or leave the cockpit; or
(b) when otherwise necessary for safety reasons.

(4) A person must not be allowed to enter the cockpit after the aircraft has taken off unless:

(a) he or she is authorised to do so by the aircraft’s pilot in command or the aircraft’s operator and:
(i) is a member of the aircraft’s crew; or
(ii) is an employee of the aircraft’s operator; or
(iii) is authorised or required by the Civil Aviation Regulations 1988 or the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 to enter the cockpit; and

(b) he or she holds appropriate identification as a person referred to in paragraph (a).

(5) If subregulation (2), (3) or (4) is contravened, the operator of the aircraft concerned commits an offence.

Penalty: 200 penalty units.

(6) A contravention of subregulation (5) is an offence of strict liability.