PDA

View Full Version : clearance limits-IAF

alexban
11th Dec 2005, 18:01
Hy .I got one question,that maybe some of you ATCO people may answer:
Suppose I am descending ,on route and reach the IAF ,without being transfered to app,or any other further clearance received from ATC.
On such a case,before reaching IAF we've been usually transfered to app who gives us the STAR procedure in use.
So,I'm on route ,No vector,and reach the clearance limit without other clearance or info regarding STAR. What would you expect us to do,and where can I find this in writing.
I,personally,vote for entering hold over IAF,at the last cleared level,but I had an argument with a coleague about this and I want to sort it out.
Thks
Brgds .
Alex

5milesbaby
11th Dec 2005, 19:48
Its a clearance LIMIT therefore you must not proceed beyond if on your own nav without ATC clearance to do so, so basically yes, as you say, you should enter the hold. I'll find the relevent document if someone doesn't beat me to it............

Not talking about a Solent Control inbound route perchance????

Warped Factor
12th Dec 2005, 14:25
Not a document per se, but if you take as an example any of the Heathrow STAR charts in the AIP, it's printed boldly on chart like the BNN one here...

WARNING
DO NOT PROCEED BEYOND
BOVINGDON/BOVVA
WITHOUT ATC CLEARANCE

AFR for one must use something different without said warning though :p

WF.

alexban
12th Dec 2005, 16:48
On some charts it's written,while on others it's not.
This is why I want to know if there is a standard procedure.Why was necessary to be written on LHR charts this restriction?
Recently I had a talk with some ATCO friends,at home base ,regarding this,and it seems they also lack knowledge about it.
I asked them,what should I do,if approaching the IAF ,which is the last point on my flight plan,I receive no clearance for the STAR (it happens often by them to delay changeover to app,then the app may be late on delivering the clearance)?
When I've told them I'll enter hold at the IAF,they were somewhat surprised by that.Anyway,it's homebase,and we are used with the TMA,and no-one entered hold till now.But I would like to know what is the procedure to be followed.
Brgds
Alex

bookworm
12th Dec 2005, 18:50
I wouldn't rely on the UK to set an example for standard procedures in STARs. ;)

Annex 11 App 3 2.1.2 The basic indicator shall be the name or name-code of the significant point where a standard departure route terminates or a standard arrival route begins.

But returning to the question, I can't find, in PANS-OPS, PANS-ATM, Annex 2 or Annex 11, any explicit guidance on this issue -- that's not unusual in ICAO docs. I can find:

11.4.2.5.2.1 Clearances shall contain the following in the
order listed:
b) clearance limit;

4.5.6.1.2 After the initial clearance has been issued to an
aircraft at the point of departure, it will be the responsibility of
the appropriate ATC unit to issue an amended clearance
whenever necessary and to issue traffic information, if
required.

So when Timbuktu Tower says "Cleared to destination via..." then it appears to be London's responsibility to change that clearance by adding a clearance limit. Whether the assignment of a STAR plus the note on the STAR chart satisfies that responsibility is a matter for debate, but the intention seems pretty clear.