PDA

View Full Version : PNG Jobs

Dry_Twotter
11th Dec 2005, 04:47
Does anyone know what the current job front is like up in PNG. Im currently flying smashers in Northern AUS and would appreciate any guidance some of you guys might be able to provide (chuckles, ozexpat, tinpis etc) who know a thing or two about the place. I have a fair knowledge of the current problems the country is facing, and am keen as ever to find a right seat somewhere and reach for the power levers above my head!

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated

Alistair
11th Dec 2005, 07:25
D_T,

I went from KU to PNG 8 years ago and although the companies may have changed the route to a job in PNG won't have. There is plenty of info in here on getting a job in PNG, just do a search and spend a couple of hours reading it. Do believe all the stuff about the dangers of PNG (the flying, believe it or not, is the easy part, and that will kill you quick enough regardless of experience!)

The only way you can decide if living and working in PNG is for you is to take a trip up there. The employers won't consider anyone who hasn't at least done this. It shows you have the balls to go up there and at least you have seen for yourself what the conditions are like. Their main considerations are getting a guy who won't kill himself, their passengers or their aircraft and who will hang around for the 2 years they are after. You can't do this from the comfort of the Tav, and they won't do it from a cv. Make sure you have at least 1000 hrs total as they won't even look at you if you don't (and no 900 isn't enough) and you are confident in your ability to handle a piston twin. You won't have a lot of spare capacity to be learning about handling a twin whilst learning to cope with the terrain and wx. In other words the more handling experience you have the less likely you will be to fly yourself into a situation you can't get out of.

Don't let all this put you off, if you feel you are up to it then go for it. The best flying in the world is there to be had, just be aware of the consequences of getting it all wrong. I loved my time there, always wanted to go and am glad i did. Still have very good mates that i keep in touch with and we are all over the world now. Good luck, throw im away leg bilong yu

disco_air
11th Dec 2005, 07:50
Dry_Twotter,

Try contacting M.Smith - APNG flight manager. He apparently thinks highly of you. :}

...Disco

Dry_Twotter
11th Dec 2005, 20:45
Cheers Alistair, i plan to get 1000hrs before heading up there (possibly more). anyway, thanks for your help.

Alistair
12th Dec 2005, 09:05
No worries D_T,

Moses and his mob still hanging around out front of the AA office? Wouldn't mind a couple of beers and a decent steak down the Tav (or the CC), or a couple of hours chasing some Barra! Hope you are enjoying KU, we had some fun out there too!

disco_air
13th Dec 2005, 05:53
Moses still 'round, he like the norty fast plane wit deh miam-miam wheels (C210)

Dry_Twotter
15th Dec 2005, 07:17
This is what i got yesterdy behind the desk:

"Hey pilot, can i get a alligator to lumbru in the nauty plane wit deh miam-miam and deh gud chairs (wni)"

"sorry moses you'll need a C130 Herc for all those bags"

"eh"