PDA

View Full Version : 122 PAI (Pilot Attack instructor) School, Leconfield, 1953

Worf
9th Dec 2005, 22:25
Here is an interesting article on an Indian Air Force officer who attended 122 PAI course at Leconfield in 1953
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/History/1950s/Kapil-PAITrg.html

Are any of the RAF participants of that course on Pprune? There is a picture of the course participants on the web page.

Could any pilots who attended a PAI course tell us what exactly was taught at the course and how?

Kapil Bhargava, who wrote this article, became a famous test pilot for the IAF. Flying among other things the Kurt Tank designed Hindustan HF-24 supersonic fighter and the Willy Messerschmit designed Helwan He-300 supersonic fighter for Egypt.

Worf

henry crun
10th Dec 2005, 00:35
I did the course a couple of years after Kapil Bhargava.

Ginger Lacy was still there, and there is a guy in the back row whose face looks familiar but I cannot remember his name.
Jimmy Dell was also an instructor when I was there

The course was in three flying parts totalling about 50 hours over three months.
The cine phase on Meteor 8's, bombing and rocket phase on Venom 1's, and air to air on the flag in Meteor 8's.
The dual and instructional technique sorties were flown on Vampire T11's

A lot of time and emphasis was placed on analysis of cine film in all phases.
Interspersed with the flying there was quite a lot of groundschool and course project work.

There were two guys on the course who hadn't flown Meteors, having come from Vamps and Sabres.
They were given a couple of quick conversion trips before starting the cine phase.
I and a few of others hadn't flown the Venom so, after a quick read of the pilots notes, we were given one famil trip of 25 minutes before starting the bombing/rocketing.

It was thoroughly enjoyable course.

Tim Mills
10th Dec 2005, 04:07
I was on 120 Course, and it was the same as Henry describes, but for Venom read Vampire 5 for the air to ground bits. Great fun.

Interesting recollections from the Group Captain. and I notice the name Ian Loughran. I spent a splendid fortnight with him as stand in co-captain in a 125-400, but with Garrett engines, around India in 1989. Based Bangalore, but all over the place. Very nice chap. I think he had been with Singapore Airlines for some time before that.

Recognised Colin Foale from the course photo, same entry at Cranwell, and father of Michael Foale, the astronaut. And Ginger Lacey, who I met later. Must be others, but mist of time, and not terribly clear photo, don't help!

Worf
10th Dec 2005, 12:20
Henry and Tim

Thanks for the replies! Those must have been fun times - you actually had to have talent to shoot something down. None of this "lock at 60 miles and the little robot missile does the rest!". :D

Ian Loughran lives in the UK - there is a picture of with Bob Doe at a bookshop signing on a link accessible from the web page. He is indeed a multi-talented individual. Here is a short biography http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Aircraft/Models/Paintings08.html

About the photograph - you can actually click on the one on the web page and it expands to full size (it isnt terribly clear you can do that). That might help.

Worf

foldingwings
10th Dec 2005, 18:28
If that is a young Roy Watson (I knew him when he was a wg cdr and my boss on XV Sqn Buccs in 1972; he retired as a gp capt). He was an ace weaponeer, an excellent pilot and a marvellous boss for a first tourist to have! He managed to get 6 DHs on 7 passes at Frasca Range (Deci) in a Bucc with Pete Ritchie in the boot. He went dry on the 6th pass and when challenged by Pete as to why, confessed that he had fired the first 5 with the Strike Sight (HUD to you modern types) folded flat, and was concerned that the BAIs (Bucc PAIs) would give him hell at the debrief!

Sadly Roy died 10 years ago in 1995. I could, however, put anybody who knew him in touch with his son; they were the first father & son to both fly the Bucc operationally! Just PM me and I will do the rest.

foldingwings

Tim Mills
12th Dec 2005, 19:16
Thanks for that link, Worf, didn't know all that. Please pass on my regards if you are still in contact.

Seasons greetings.

Tim