9th Dec 2005, 17:30
So easy
Our most advanced strike aircraft; TSR 2

Ricky Storm
9th Dec 2005, 17:37
No no no Chevvron, it's the a/c in the background that you have to name. :p

zarniwoop
9th Dec 2005, 17:41
That would be a Canberra. Can't say which mark though. Duxford by any chance?

chevvron
9th Dec 2005, 17:55
With the perspex nose it could be a T4 or B6 or any of several others. What it's not is the ex MRF one.

Beeayeate
9th Dec 2005, 18:22
"With the perspex nose it could be a T4 or B6 or any of several others. "

You're joking, right? T.4's were the only Cans not to have a perspex nose (also the 9's).

It's WH725, Duxford's undistiguished B.2.

:hmm:

chevvron
9th Dec 2005, 18:54
Well the 'T4' at Farnbnrough had a perspex nose, but you've reminded me it was probably a hybrid. RAE were good at these, until they tried to graft an EE built nose onto a fuselage built elsewhere (Armstrong -Whitworths?) and found it wouldn't fit!

lightningmate
9th Dec 2005, 19:38
chevvron,

Please identify the airframe you believe was a RAE Farnborough T4 Canberra possessed of a glazed nose.

lm

chevvron
9th Dec 2005, 19:44
Sorry haven't a clue - it was too long ago and I'm not anorak enough to collect reggies. All I can remember was I was told it was hybrid; assembled to enable as many seats as possible for trials use. Course the person who told me could have been having me on; I've no way of knowing! Sorry

Beeayeate
9th Dec 2005, 23:17
Course the person who told me could have been having me on; I've no way of knowing! Sorry

If you don't know then why did you bother to give a response at all?

With Canberras it was easy to change the cockpit section in toto at the transport joint (very "modular" aircraft were Canberras - a design years ahead of its time albeit using WWII technolgy). There were several B.2 types "converted" to T.4s this way, and vice versa. It was probably this scheme that you heard about. But when converted they would still not have had a glazed nose.

Anyway, it's still WH725 in the picture.

Conan the Librarian
10th Dec 2005, 00:43
Nice try with TSR2, but it ain't

Conan