PDA

View Full Version : iTunes won't start

MTOW
9th Dec 2005, 16:35
I'm running winXP with SP 2 and all updates, Zone Alarm Pro and AVG 7. I've just installed iTunes, but cannot get the program to open.

When I click on the icon, I get the hourglass for about one second and that's all. I've tried opening iTunes after booting up in Safe Mode, and the only difference then is that the hourglass remains displayed for about 5 seconds before disappearing.

I suspect the problem is in my security settings, but I don't know where to look or what to do to reset the settings to allow iTunes to run.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem?

timmcat
9th Dec 2005, 17:28
Does Itunes run automatically when you plug in your ipod?

MTOW
10th Dec 2005, 04:37
I've resisted trying that option, because it would wipe all the existing music from my Ipod, as the library on the new computer is empty.

timmcat
10th Dec 2005, 08:00
OK - understood. In that case, I'd suggest an uninstall and reinstall of Itunes. If you've only just installed it, a system restore to a point prior to the original installation might also help.

Before installing, make sure you quit all unnecessary running tasks. I would shut down your virus scanner, firewall, and any other background programs you might have (obviously, make sure you are disconnected from the internet whilst in this unprotected state). Install, then re-boot, allowing all the other programs to kick back in.

See if that helps. (another option might be to download the latest itunes software and try that (if you haven't already).

MTOW
10th Dec 2005, 13:25
Thanks for the suggestion, timmcat, but unfortunately, it hasn't helped. I started up with minimum programs using Startup Cop, with AVG, Counterspy and Zone Alarm all off. Installed - no joy. Plugged in the IPOD - got the 'do not disconnect' message for about three minutes. However, iTunes did/would not open and I did not lose the songs already on the IPOD, which would suggest that it didn't find the empty My Music/iTunes library on the computer.

iTunes starts up fine on my second computer, but unfortunately, it has a hard drive too small to accommodate the audio files.