PDA

View Full Version : Sky Leisure Shoreham

jerezflyer
8th Dec 2005, 07:26
Has anybody trained with Sky Leisure at Shoreham airport? Any comments or experiences? I am considering doing the CPL and FI with them - best prices in the UK so far by the looks of it......

Andy_R
8th Dec 2005, 08:16
Friendly and commited instructors, with well looked after aeroplanes. Not sure they are the cheapest in the UK and bear in mind you will need to add on the cost of landings/touch and go's - £15 and £7.25 respectively, which can add to the cost somewhat (though that is not their fault of course, rather that of the airport who do not offer discounts for landing fees.

Craggenmore
8th Dec 2005, 10:14
Not sure about Shoreham but 10 miles down the road at Goodwood, you can get your FI course for £5810 all-inclusive with £ ZERO extra cost of touch 'n' go's etc...

Rod Jarvis is the man to talk to and a superb FI Instructor.

High Wing Drifter
8th Dec 2005, 10:41
I was told to consider doing an FI rating where I wanted to work. Not sure how universally beneficial this is, but it must help to some degree. Maybe, the way things are at the moment, it would be unnecessary.

hardcase
8th Dec 2005, 13:08
I did my FIC at Goodwood and have to agree that Rod Jarvis is a great instructor...so much knowledge and a nice guy as well. Only thing about doing it in Goodwood is the grass runway, there was a month that i didn't fly cos it was waterlogged, but other than that I recommend them very highly.

I have had my FI night restriction removed with Sky Leisure in Shoreham and found them very good. The CFI, Martin is a decent bloke. Landing fee's are a shame but nice concrete runway and good facilities at the airport.

Once you finished then it's the process of finding a job. Sky Leisure only take on people they have trained and a lot of schools who run the FI course do this....but don't despair there are lots of other flying schools, just dress smartly and drive around to see them, sending CV's doesn't work I have found and you would be surprised at the way some people come in to see me,one guy looking like he had been bleeding the brakes on his car...I usually recruit around April for my busy summer period. So march is a good time to finish.

Top tip: be nice to whoever works behind the reception desk....I look for feedback ;)

When you become an FI it is enjoyable, so just make the most of it.
hardcase

oliversarmy
8th Dec 2005, 14:06
I completed my PPL with Sky Leisure, very nice bunch of people, great instructors and admin / ops staff.

All aircraft are clean and tidy and on the rare occasion that one falls over they do all they can to move things around and fit you in on another....oh yes and the kettle always seems to be on the boil so pop in and have a chat.

OA

Cavallier
12th Dec 2005, 01:08
I did my FIC at Sky Leisure about three years ago with Martin who is now the CFI, and would strongly recommend both. They prepare you very well on the ground and in the air.
Subsequently I gained employment at Blackbushe one of Redairs other schools !

Be nice to the ops staff and you should be ok ;)

The Cav

:cool:

CAT3C AUTOLAND
12th Dec 2005, 11:49
And look at you now Cav, you have gone from Flight Instructor to bus driver, good on you mate!

High Wing Drifter
12th Dec 2005, 12:22
Done all my training with Redair at Blackbushe. A sterling bunch. Bent over backwards to accomodate my awkward need to do my CPL weekends only :ok:

Wondering who Cav is though. Does name begin with A or G? :O

CAT3C AUTOLAND
12th Dec 2005, 13:10
HWD,

I think you could be right ;)

I am now wondering what your name is!

High Wing Drifter
12th Dec 2005, 14:41
Here's a couple 'o' clues:

Orange fleece and an AA5A...