PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Female - Job prospects in Oz & NZ?

hallava
7th Dec 2005, 18:31
Hi guys,

I don't really know if this post is politically correct since I do belive in equality between the sexes... how ever regarding the amount of money I'll be investing the point I' m about to make seems quite cruxial.

As an northern european woman on my early twenties, would it be a professional dead end to come to OZ/NZ and do my CPL training there? I'm aware of the fact that at least here in europe and USA female pilots TEND to have a slightly better position regarding the chances of a future job in aviation. I'm also aware of both of the countries mentioned above being packed with unemployed pilots fighting for jobs. I would think being a female and fluent in 3 languages would give me at least a little bit more secure start than the fellow european men on the same task over there..? I would be looking for a job in NZ/OZ or perhaps even africa.

Is any of this making any sense?

To avoid any misunderstandings I also mention that I'm not looking to land a job in any major airline any time soon after graduation. I'd rather work on the outback positions for a year or two. Possibly tourism or agriculture..

Your two cents will be greatly valued:)

Also any female pilots working/on the training on eiher of the countries, PLEASE speak out now!

bonvol
7th Dec 2005, 22:40
I can't comment too much on employment prospects here but anecdotally there seems to be a never ending supply of wannabes, male and female.

One thing to consider is do you have right of residence in Australia should you wish to seek employment after training?

I doubt any aviation company would sponsor you so that leaves a skill based appication if you are not an Australian Citizen. Not any easy thing to achieve if you don't have skills other than as a commercial pilot. Check out the DIMIA site for more info here (http://www.immi.gov.au/)

There is always marriage of course!

Cheers

HI'er
7th Dec 2005, 23:38
To avoid any misunderstandings I also mention that I'm not looking to land a job in any major airline any time soon after graduation. I'd rather work on the outback positions for a year or two.Just as well you qualified your intentions, hallava!
Most of the "graduates" in Australia and New Zealand are usually snapped up by airlines in the first 2 or 3 months out, and as such General Aviation here pays much HIGHER salaries than the airlines, to try to lure the pilots away from the big jets (best you don't let this secret out, though - well not until YOU have established yourself).

Work in the Outback is easy to come by - you will probably have the choice of several aircraft types, and when you're not flying, it's interesting to sit in the shade of the big coolabah trees and watch the shearers doing the sheep (that's mainly in N.Z.), or feeding the kangaroos that the farmers keep as pets.

I think Australia and New Zealand would be safer than Africa, because we don't have any lions, tigers, or mugabes.

After you've had your fill of outback flying, you'll probably be ready to accept one of the many invitations to join, that the airlines will deluge you with once they realise there's another pilot they haven't recruited for their 737 NG's, A380's, or Dreamliners.

bonvol
7th Dec 2005, 23:58
Bwahahahhah. Love it.

You're a bad man Hi'er :E

dodgybrothers
8th Dec 2005, 00:17
....and in our spare time we all hold hands, hug trees and sing Koombayah

MOR
8th Dec 2005, 00:24
That HI'er... he lie. He bad man. He speak with forked tongue of West Australian flying gecko... funny though.

Take everything he says and reverse it. Then you will have a more accurate picture (for New Zeland, anyway).

Having three languages won't do you any good unless one of them is Japanese. Being female won't help you either, but by the same token it isn't a disadvantage.

And of course you then have the joy of trying to convert to a JAA licence when you decide to go home... expect to do everything again.

Having said all that, flight training is cheaper here. Easyjet train their cadets in NZ so maybe you could do something with them.

One thing is for sure, the weather is a lot nicer here!

hoss
8th Dec 2005, 00:26
bullsh!t, we play cards, drink crownies and place bets:ok: .

:) :) :) :) :) :)

dude65
8th Dec 2005, 00:38
About the only part of Hi'er's post that was accurate was the date and time at the top of the page

hallava
8th Dec 2005, 09:54
Ha ha.. ok boys..

I was merely making an inquiery! I do know there are student pilots from scandinavia at least in new zealand at the moment. The job market is a mess especially for as foreigners, but I think problems can be mosly overcome with some will and $$ ofcourse.

HI had an entertaining post up there, thank you all for your input!

chief wiggum
8th Dec 2005, 10:49
Not any easy thing to achieve if you don't have skills other than as a commercial pilot

she IS female!

pakeha-boy
8th Dec 2005, 16:26
Sorry ..........no wahine(sheila,s)allowed!!!!!!!!aroha mai:ouch:

Gravox
8th Dec 2005, 19:08
Hallava, With respect to the Australian GA scene, it is difficult to get a foot in the door. There are thousands of Australian guys and girls looking for jobs at the moment, so you will be competing against them. I suppose the only thing in your favour might be your nationality,where you might be remembered as that European.... Knowing 3 languages is great, but unless it is Chinese, Japanese, Indonesian it probably isn't of to much advantage.

New Zealand is't much better in the GA scene, but at the moment you can get into the NZ regionals with a little over 1000hours and a couple of hundred multi. But once again you need the right to work in the country....... If you want to post a pic I might be able to hook you up with a "marriage of conveniance" :}
thats where the $$$ come in handy;)

So where are these Scandinavia in NZ?

HI'er
8th Dec 2005, 19:15
So where are these Scandinavia in NZ?
Where else?
Fjiordland!! :ok:

doubleu-anker
10th Dec 2005, 17:00
hallava

Are you a NASA graduate with space shuttle time?

hallava
10th Dec 2005, 18:55
doubley-anker

Obviously neither are you, or otherwise there would be no need for such inquiry.

But I just might be 6 ft tall blond with a great figure. Apparently down under you prefer to be accompagned by short dark men in the cockpit... Aaah.. Perhaps you are right, I'd propably be better off in, say, Russia, since they tend to value all things ÄÅÊÎÐÀÒÈÂÍÛÉ - decorative, starting from the pilot. So you just go and keep all the greay bush planes;)

haughtney1
10th Dec 2005, 19:12
hallava....

As someone thats moved from New Zealand to the UK to further my aviating career I can tell you this.

You are far better off in Europe, MOR is spot on (well except his blind man love of 146's) forget going to NZ or Aus completing your training and then heading back and job hunting. You would be far better served going to the USA and doing your JAA license there if you are concerned about cost.

Going down under is a good option if you wish to hour build as it is comparatively cheap, however the airspace is very different, the attitude is a little less professional (not a pop at NZ or OZ..just my experience) and the instructors tend to be a lot less experienced.

PM me if you want to know anymore etc..

I hope this helps:ok:

Cheers H

frangatang
12th Dec 2005, 09:45
I doubt if anyone would pay for your conversions in Oz if,as in europe ,you immediately get pregnant ,go part time and still expect to get paid !

Rhodes13
13th Dec 2005, 04:53
haughtney1 check your PM'S please.....

Rhodes13

DeBurcs
13th Dec 2005, 20:03
Child!!!!

:mad: :mad:

Woomera

Thallus
16th Dec 2005, 00:48
well, as a German male cutie with a CPL, now stuck in Oz I can say you that --> flight training is cheap but getting a job without having sex with a chief pilot is almost impossible ...(well u got an advantage there)...

I might head back to Europe soon to test my luck there... JAR rulz...this conversion **** here in Oz is just a black hole that sucks in grand after grand...

PM me if u wanna get in touch...

later mk

RENURPP
16th Dec 2005, 01:38
DeBurcs

way off the mark mate.

NJS has 6 female pilots, flying Dash 8's 146's and 717's, based in Perth and Darwin 3 in each I believe. Thats out of a total of about 150. Hardly most of us.
There are some in Surviellance Aus and at least one in Jet Ex, but then you have a total of closer to 300 pilots, so still hardly most of us.

Defenestrator
16th Dec 2005, 01:49
...... and the instructors tend to be a lot less experienced. .

Hauntney,

Some years ago when I did my FAA ATP the prep for the flight test was done in a very light twin with a pimple faced instructor that had a grand total of 850 hours and was failing engines on me. Believe me when I say I was watching him like a hawk. At least in Oz you have to meet some experience requirements before they let you conduct simulated engine failure procedures.

I do agree with you however. The experience NOT the ability levels of the instructors seems to be a bit light on.

:}

hallava
16th Dec 2005, 23:48
I got to thank you guys for all the serious answer on this thread, it been very enlightning:)

So, obviously JAR is much more secure option, but then again, I'd rather invest 100 000 e on an aircraft, at least they TEND to go up on value each year, which certainly couldnt necesserly be said of my piece-of-paper license..;)

It crossed my mind, is there already a thread for european pilots studying/working down under here in pprune? I think it'd be very useful, since questions such as mine must pop up quite frequently?

Oh, how ever, I shall be dropping in there in couple of months, so we'll see from there I hope... my man that is;)

MOR
18th Dec 2005, 07:23
Yes most of the info has been good, apart from Haughtney and his snide remarks about the mighty 146. Everybody knows that it is the finest airliner to ever grace the skies (well, apart from the VC10 and the Comet, of course). Better than the Boeing he flies, which as we all know is the Ford Cortina of the skies. The 146 is more of an Aston Martin.

So the answer to your question must be, I suppose, that the EU is a better place to learn as there are more 146s there.

Stands to reason... :}

pakeha-boy
18th Dec 2005, 21:27
hallava....if you are a blond,2metre beauty,....you can be my shelia anyday......and just to show you what a nice bloke I am,your invited on the next pig hunt!!!!!!!!.........come on boys,what a catch......a women pig-hunter/women pilot with a great bod......there is a god after all:p