PDA

View Full Version : Mythbusters Aus Style

aerocom
7th Dec 2005, 10:58
OK

Here goes who has heard of the story of the Spitfire and or Mustang that appears in the outbacks of OZ. Various reports of dogfights and the lone pilot in their Cessna being formated upon.
I have met a guy that in his younger years ago found a Sea Fury in a shed in QLD and got told to forget what he had seen. Also there is rumor that there is WW2 aircraft in the desert still in there boxes. So can anyone confirm,busted, or plausible about this.

Pass-A-Frozo
7th Dec 2005, 11:48
I've been told by staff at RAAF Pearce they reckon they have seen a "RAAF pilot wearing WW2" style flying clothing walking around the Officers mess accommodation area in the evening who then walked around a corner not to be seen again.

Erin Brockovich
7th Dec 2005, 11:50
Like they said. Forget what you heard. :E

currawong
7th Dec 2005, 20:04
There was such a Mustang.

It is now based in Scone. Or was last time I looked.

DeBurcs
7th Dec 2005, 20:35
The above is true.

Quite a few years ago, a regional piston-engine was intercepted by something, for no apparent reason.

At same time a Sabre had been reported taxiing at Bundy and a cat farted in West Wyalong.

When questioned about it, the gov't denied knowing anything. There had been a RR Viper crated in a box in the 60s but it was never seen again.

Does anyone have any info on this?

Captain Sand Dune
7th Dec 2005, 20:58
I've been told by staff at RAAF Pearce they reckon they have seen a "RAAF pilot wearing WW2" style flying clothing walking around the Officers mess accommodation area in the evening who then walked around a corner not to be seen again.

Jeez PAF, I've drunk so much p!ss in that place I was seeing things too!!:E :E

maxgrad
8th Dec 2005, 00:23
A spitfire used to belt around the topend and formate with inbound a/c to DN. Then bought by a person in eastern state.

Also many years back a gaint pink flying pig was stolen from a site in Sydney. The band were very p!ssed about this, or were they just p!ssed?

PLovett
8th Dec 2005, 01:13
The story goes that the aircraft that was formated on was a DCA F27 that was heading for DN. The aircraft that did the formating was a P 51D. The time would have been early to mid 1960s. It was supposed to have happened somewhere near the Qld/NT border.

I have met the person who claimed to be the pilot of the P 51. He certainly owned one (in fact two of them) before they were legal to own (let alone fly). They were kept on one of his rural properties near where the formating incident happened.

The aircraft that did the formating was the one in which Donald Busch (sp?) died whilst doing a flypast at the opening of an airstrip in Victoria. I saw the second aircraft in 1971 at the owners property in NSW. At the time it was in the process of being sold and was not airworthy but still capable of some fabulous ground runs. It was the first time I had ever heard a Merlin engine (albeit built by Packard).

The said owner is dead now but enjoyed his aviation to the fullest whilst being the owner of a number of highly desirable aircraft. He became well known in yachting circles as well as aviation.

colonel cameron
8th Dec 2005, 02:10
If indeed the person you refer to was a Doctor as well, I am saddened to hear he has passed on. I also heard this story personally from him while sitting in the RH seat of a Hudson bomber which he also owned. I had the opportunity to stay at his property on the Qld NT border during the 60's.

He also owned a Ryan and I spent many a time in that, and his Mate's Ryan wich had a Gypsy engine. He wrote an interesting article in an AOPA magazine some years back about a NSW trophy, (Cup), and dedicated it to the person who introduced me to flying as a lad in a Fairchild.

Can you confirm his Yacht was a footpath, so I may slot these memories into the most important gold catagory.

Cheers.

PLovett
8th Dec 2005, 02:29
cc

We are indeed talking about the same person.

Your post made me think again. I had heard that he had died but cannot confirm that as a fact.

I think the aircraft you were sitting in was a smaller cousin of the Hudson. I also had the pleasure of a short flight in that aircraft in about 1970 or 71. He was in Hobart at the time looking at yachts in the Sydney to Hobart race.

There were, I think, a couple of Ryans which were flown with great verve. My memory of the man sitting in the Ryan was with a fur-lined helmet which rather gave him the appearance of some Russian WW11 ace.

colonel cameron
8th Dec 2005, 03:59
Then this is, as I would positively attest, is no myth.

I last talked with this man and his wife about 5 years ago, so I cannot verify his loss to society. I sincerely hope you are wrong about that aspect.

He was a long standing mermber of AOPA, but as I am unfortunately no longer a member I cannot ask for information as to whether he is currently active or the alternative. He and a few others introduced me to flying and were the epitome of what that organisation stood for originally. I am a product of that era.

The fur lined helmet was a spiritual thing shared by he and the late Bert Skinner plus a few others with open cockpits. I also concur with your observations.

If you are of my vintage and want the experience to chase up, I do remember a DCA chap, (initials Bob J), who did my NVFR test, who I suspect may have had some personal or close contact through a F27 at the time.

Pass-A-Frozo
8th Dec 2005, 07:19
Jeez PAF, I've drunk so much p!ss in that place I was seeing things too!!

Yeah, I reckon what the staff saw was a pissed stud walking around with his skull cap after an all night bender. :E

But I swear it wasn't me! :}

Ex FSO GRIFFO
8th Dec 2005, 07:47
Hey 'Colonel', check ya pm's.......

Pinky the pilot
8th Dec 2005, 08:07
I remember hearing a story when attending some form of an 'open day' at YPPF in 1970 of a DCA Aero Commander (?) suddenly having a Spitfire formating on it. Seem to also remember there being an article written back in the early 70s somewhere on such an occurrance, referring to the 'mystery Spitfire of the north'.

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

colonel cameron
9th Dec 2005, 02:20
EX FSO GRIFFO;

I have responded in the affirmative having just worked out how to access my pm's. It also appears that there was a Spit and a mustang involved at various times with various aircraft.

Cheers.

Woomera
9th Dec 2005, 05:19
Used to be a phantom Anson flying around south west Queensland long after DCA grounded the type in the 1950's. The remains of the aircraft were at Roma airport until recently.