PDA

View Full Version : Creating a wireless printer - is this possible

tired-flyboy
7th Dec 2005, 07:41
Hi all

Is there any way i can connect to a printer (HP PSC 1210) with a wireless / bluetooth enabled laptop?

At present the printer is connected to my Tower via a USB but i was wondering if i bought a bluetooth dongle if i could connect it to my laptop.

If this is possible do i need anything other than the dongle, ie software etc.

Many thanks (hopefully this hasn't been asked before)

TFB

ORAC
7th Dec 2005, 09:14
Bluetooth Printer Server. (http://www.hardwarearea.com/product_info.php?products_id=100627940&language=en&currency=GBP) Plenty of makes around at various prices.

Conan the Librarian
7th Dec 2005, 11:00
If you use a wireless router, some have a built in printer server, whilst others have additional plug in print servers, which will allow you to do the job.

I believe that you should be able to share a printer across a network without either of these though.

Conan

Jhieminga
7th Dec 2005, 13:32
The advantage of using a (wireless)router with printserver is that the desktop computer doesn't have to be switched on to use the printer. You could also leave the printer connected to the desktop and use a wireless router, but the desktop would have to be on whenever you wish to use the printer from the laptop.

Saab Dastard
7th Dec 2005, 17:34
If the laptop can connect to the tower over existing WIFI or wired network, then just share the printer on the tower.

tired-flyboy
7th Dec 2005, 18:50
Thanks for the replies. Now i just need to set up the home network to enable all this to happen.

Now where are those XP instructions!

VP959
7th Dec 2005, 19:58
The Buffalo Link Station that I've just set up does this, and provides a 120Gb network hard drive for shared storage as well (but see the network drive thread!).

It seems to work a treat as a print server for my old Epson C900 laser, and allows both the wired PC and the wireless laptop to print with ease.

VP

BEagle
8th Dec 2005, 06:37
I use a Bluetooth adaptor in my Epson C82 and a Bluetooth USB dongle in my laptop.

It works OK, although full bi-directional connectivity is not possible. For example, the 'ink level' tellback doesn't work.

Contrary to the manufacturer's statements, it is not a direct replacement for a USB cable.