PDA

View Full Version : CPL Route

dwshimoda
6th Dec 2005, 23:18
Hi All,

As I can finally see the end of my ATPL theories (though not for a few onths yet!) my thoughts are turning to CPL and IR training. I'm based at Cranfield (EGTC) and am planning to go to Cardiff, then Sheffield City, then back to Cranfield. According to my planning this is over 320 NM, so easily satisfies CAA requirements for the CPL qualifier.

My questions are:

What route did you do / are planning?

Is there anything special I should know about Cardiff / Sheffield, not having been to either previously?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

DW :ok:

FlyingForFun
7th Dec 2005, 08:29
What route did you do / are planning?I did most of my hour-building based in Phoenix, Arizona. I decided to visit Las Vegas for an overnight trip, since I'd never been there before. It was about 3 hours each way in the Piper Arrow I had hired.

About an hour into the outward flight I realised I needed the toilet. After about another hour, I decided that I wasn't going to make it all the way to Las Vegas without stopping. I checked my chart, and found that the nearest airport was Needles, California, so I headed that way and landed.

Needles, California, right on the California/Nevada border, is like something out of the movies - all it needed to complete the picture was tumbleweed blowing across the runway. I parked up on what had to be an apron, and wandered around peering into delapidated buildings, when an old man hobbled out of one of the buildings, limped over to me and gave me a friendly smile. "D'ya need fuel?" he asked?

"No thanks, I need a bathroom and a phone."

The friendly smile disappeared once I said I don't need fuel. He grunted at me: "Hmph. Bathroom that way, phone in there" as he pointed in the appropriate direction. So I did what I needed to do, phoned the briefing service to update my flight plan, and then carried on to Las Vegas.

So, my CPL cross-country is Chandler, Phoenix AX to Needles CA to North Las Vegas, NV, and then back to Chandler again!Is there anything special I should know about Cardiff / Sheffield, not having been to either previously?It's been a while since I've been to Sheffield, but I don't recall anything special. For Cardiff, though, make sure you get handled by the flying club on the south side of the airport, not by the handling agent on the north side. I made the mistake of going to the handling agent. Landing a Seneca, parking, navigation fees, passenger surcharges and around 100 litres of fuel cost me around £250 :\ :eek: :uhoh:

FFF
----------------