PDA

View Full Version : Win XP Pro help please?

BOAC
6th Dec 2005, 11:54
The little 'connection' icon (2 computers) in the systray (for ADSL) has a right-click - 'Disconnect'. Just lately when I 'disconnect' it doesn't seem to, and then the machine hangs on shutdown with a 'connection tray' end programme prompt. I have checked Google and the MS Knowledge base and cannot find what is wrong. Anyone know what to 'tweak'?

roach
6th Dec 2005, 16:58
May not apply but I thought the two little pcs were only there for dial-up. Certainly on my xp home sys they are not here and I am on ADS.L

BOAC
6th Dec 2005, 17:09
On mine, rt click on the connection, properties, tick the box at the bottom 'show icon'.

Conan the Librarian
6th Dec 2005, 17:21
BOAC, have a shuftie in the network connections (Control panel) and then have a play in there. Sometimes XP will throw up 2 or 3 iinstances of the connection icon in the task bar, but until you find out exactly what they are, they can be a little misleading.

Conan

BOAC
6th Dec 2005, 17:34
Yes, Conan - I have the 'outbreak' but the one which I am having trouble with is the correct one and only appears when ADSL connected. The others are, I think, Bluetooth and network?

BLUE SKY THINKER
6th Dec 2005, 19:15
BOAC . . . . .

Any error messages in your Event Viewer, relevant to the times this is happening?

Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > System (right-click any errors for further info. and/or error message numbers. The numbers - if any - are usually the next step to a solution).

Mac the Knife
6th Dec 2005, 19:53
I've got two in my system tray - you can display either or both (or not) by checking the box "Show icon in notification area when connected" in Status -> Properties -> General

One is for the local network - thats your PC talking to the ADSL modem and any other nodes on the network.

The other is for the "Internet Connection" as MS calls it and represents your PC actually making a connection to your ISP (via your local network and ADSL modem).

Not sure what's causing your problem though...

BOAC
6th Dec 2005, 19:54
BST - totally out of my depth now! Today and yesterday I have a few 'warnings' and 'errors' -

warnings of

serial 4
TCPIP 4226

errors of

Service control manager 7034
W32Time 4226

.......now, if only I knew what they meant..................:{

..................but appreciate enormously the attention you are giving!:D

PPRuNe Pop
6th Dec 2005, 21:29
What I would do, and have done BOAC, is to kill that dial-up and do another. There are two ways. One is to dump it or to change the ID with an additional letter or digit. Then if you want to go back to your original setting - just dump and set up again.

Yet another check is Tools>Internet Options>Connections>Settings and check that all is OK. Also check that Lan Settings has unchecked boxes. To setup again or re-config you can use the CONNECTIONS page. Can't be certain but its worth a try.

PPP ;)

BlueEagle
6th Dec 2005, 22:21
I have those two little screens and a red cross too. It tells me a LAN connection is unplugged. I don't have a LAN and my ADSL connection is via USB whereas my computer thinks it should be via the Ethernet connection and so produces these two screens with a red cross but it is a spurious warning.

BOAC
7th Dec 2005, 16:14
Thanks all, but the icon is correct, and it is in the 'disconnect' I am having trouble leading to WinXp not shutting down correctly.

I think 'BST' 'is on the trail':ok:

BLUE SKY THINKER
7th Dec 2005, 18:40
BOAC . . . . .

Such faith (!); not quite as cut and dried as some warning/error messages (needless to say!).

Service Control Manager errors cover a multitude of areas, but the Tcpip entry may be relevant/related. ...Most info. on Tcpip 4226 seems to revolve around post SP2 effects on the TCP/IP stack, which although it sounds alarming is neatly summed up HERE (http://blog.davidkaspar.com/archives/2005/04/windows-xp-sp2-and-event-id-4226.php) along with a couple of scenarios and a quick investigation via Command Prompt. ...And if that last bit sounds worrying (it did to me) a simple netstat -no and then press Enter did bring up the required information at this end.

May be of help, but I confess perhaps a long shot . . . . . Good luck!

BOAC
7th Dec 2005, 19:23
Apparently justified faith! I now know a lot more about Win 'events' etc. :D What a black art it all is.

Regarding 'scenarios' I am pretty certain it is not (1) as the virus checking/screening is pretty tight - and am sure I know what it is.

At the moment I am resisting implementing the increase in connections described for fear of screwing up another part of Bill's wonderful world! OOI, the netstat -no only produces a momentary DOS window and I cannot see what is there?

Thanks BST - I'll 'sit' there for a while.

maxell
7th Dec 2005, 20:25
If netstat is changing that fast try this (http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/TcpView.html) site and download TCPView. run endpoint viewer and it should give you a screen with your connections on both TCP and UDP
The message you are getting is saying that your TCPIP connections are exceeding the limits set by SP2 on windows xp, are you running any P2P programs or if you are on a wireless network is it secure?

BOAC
7th Dec 2005, 20:48
maxell - thank you and that works fine. It shows several conns as 'time_wait' and I ?understand? that the limit of 10 conns places any extra in a queue which take a finite time to process? Fascinating to watch the changes!!!

No to wireless - and occasional P2P - so I think I can 'close the case':D

Would YOU recommend increasing the number of conns from 10 to 50?

Jhieminga
8th Dec 2005, 08:03
OOI, the netstat -no only produces a momentary DOS window and I cannot see what is there?
It does that because you're typing the netstat command straight into the 'Run' dialog box. Better to enter 'cmd' in the 'Run' box, this will open a dos window. (Alternatively go to Start - Programs - Accessories - Command prompt) You can then enter the netstat command at the prompt and view the results.

BOAC
8th Dec 2005, 08:10
Thank you, Jhieminga - I told you I was out of my depth!!:D

Do any of you folk have warnings etc for me about increasing the number of connections form 10 to 50? With anti-virus modules running there are a lot of 'time_wait' s in the list.

Found this (http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/878/) as well and am trying it at '30' secs.

Edit again: and since I have done that, my browser is actually 'flying'! - coincidence or...........?

BLUE SKY THINKER
8th Dec 2005, 12:57
BOAC . . . . .

Nearly there then, maybe.

Just to reiterate an earlier point for future reference on all snags - don't know if you actually went there on this one - but there is a lot of useful info. in Event Viewer by right clicking to 'Properties'. ...Usually a good start.

http://www.databasejournal.com/img/DJ_ACC010-001.jpg

BOAC
8th Dec 2005, 13:08
Yes, BST, I looked, and it did give the info on 'the limit' for connections. I am still at (default) '10' and in view of the improvement with the 'waitdelay' hack I think I'll hold there - what say you? It really is flying right now:D

I understand the 'default' delay is 240 secs and the TIME_WAITS are clearing far faster now and shut down is ok..

Thanks to all my tutors!:ok:

BLUE SKY THINKER
8th Dec 2005, 13:28
Might as well stick with it for now if you are happy.

An interesting development and now that you have highlighted it I see there is quite a bit of information around on this course of action. ...I would be very curious to hear from anyone if there is a downside to this.

BOAC
8th Dec 2005, 14:14
As I read it, it was changed to limit the damage Trojans or worms could cause where they use their own SMTP engine - or am I talking uninformed gibberish?

So far I certainly recommend the waitdelay change!

Mac the Knife
8th Dec 2005, 17:11
I suspect your TCP/IP stack is corrupt

Google for "(fix OR repair) TCP/IP stack"

edited to add:

This - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/xptcpiprepair.html - utility is reputed to be OK [never needed to try it, so can't vouch for efficacy]

BOAC
9th Dec 2005, 07:44
Saw the word 'corrupt' and practically had a heart attack:D .

Had my early morning 'Google' thanks, but I have no 'symptoms' of such AFAIK, so I THINK all is now well with the modified wait_delay. Certainly the ADSL connection disconnects immediately and the beast shuts down cleanly every time.