PDA

View Full Version : Landing Speed for 737

madbadrob
3rd Dec 2005, 23:26
Is there a fixed speed that a 737 must be at as they turn in on a 10 mile final and how does this decrease until actual landing or is it something each pilot can choose to suit themselves. I know the flap configuration as a max speed before they will become detached. This is a question from a friend yet a search online produced nothing I could understand :)

Rob

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
3rd Dec 2005, 23:52
There are a lot of variables that effect the landing speed but one of the main ones is the weight of the aircraft on landing ie the lighter the plane the slower it lands
but you need a pilot to explain the full ins and outs of it all

G-I_B

Jetavia
4th Dec 2005, 00:17
It really depends on what kind of approach you are on, but if we assume you are on an instrument approach you will select the landing flaps setting when capturing the glideslope at about 8-10 miles out, then reduce the airspeed from 150 kts to landing speed Vref+5kts. The Vref is a speed affected by i.e. the landing weight of the aircraft and the flap setting you use. The Vref+5 speed will be kept all the way down until you will need to flare (lift the nose a bit) to make a nice and smooth touchdown.

Jet2
4th Dec 2005, 01:01
madbadrob

Basically it depends on weight of the aircraft and flap selection but generally it is about 135kts.

BOAC
4th Dec 2005, 07:58
Rob - Jet2 refers to Vref, not speed at 10 miles (I hope) otherwise PM will NOT be happy:D .

The 'OLD' Boeing Classic approach was 210kts at 10 miles, running flap and gear as appropriate for weight, altitude, wind and ATC. That was designed to give you close to throttles closed until 1000' AAL. It generally works, though you can be a touch faster. Most airlines require an established 'landing' configuration, power and speed at 1000' AAL.

madbadrob
4th Dec 2005, 09:18
Many thanks for the replies now if I could burden you still further how does one work out the VREF+5 please.

Rob

BOAC
4th Dec 2005, 09:48
On a 737, Classic or NG, the landing weight is entered into the FMC and a Vref is produced for the relevant flap setting. If not, a 'QRP' (Quick Reference Procedures) booklet or printed card will give the same (depending on operator preferences).

Jet2
4th Dec 2005, 10:36
BOAC .... nothing like being stabilised early on ;) Yes of course I did mean final approach speed.

BOAC
4th Dec 2005, 10:58
Jet2 - it was TIC as you know, and that will certainly avoid ONE side of managements' 'wrath', but........in former life I DID fly with a TC who took Flap 5 170 with 30 or so track miles to run 'because there is the odd build-up ahead':eek:

Jet2
4th Dec 2005, 22:10
Sorry guys ... it was 2.01am in the morning and I was a little worse for wear from a few "shandy's". In future I will ensure I adopt the RTFQ method!! ;)