PDA

View Full Version : Wireless internet radio

Hufty
2nd Dec 2005, 21:51
OK, here's a question that might (hopefully) have a simple solution!

I have just installed a wireless Internet connection in my flat and am enjoying listening to overseas radio stations on the Internet. I have a set of external speakers and I was wondering if anybody knows how I could set up a wireless hub for my stereo so I sould keep my notebook connected wirelessly in one room and keep the speakers in another?

I keep the speakers in the kitchen and would like to keep the notebook in the bedroom i.e away from steam, and other fluids harmful to laptops! The wireless router is in the bedroom but the connection is fine anywhere in the flat.

I'm not sure if this is possible, but I know you can have a printer connected to a wireless network so I imagine it might be possible to connect speakers to it too??

Hufty.....

Conan the Librarian
2nd Dec 2005, 23:57
Piece of cake. There are many solutions. Netgear do a jukebox that will play your collection of Rolf Harris around the house. If memory serves rght, it is the MP-101.

Failing that, there are modulators that will plug into your device and if you set a corresponding frequency into a radio, it will play through there - and no need for a router, either.

Internet radio is a bit different though. Many of the staions you might like do not transmit streaming MP3 as you might like. I have acquired a PDA with an internet radio function, which I wanted to listen to the shipping forecast on Radio4. I don't quite work that way. Many stations are streamed for either Media Player or RealPlayer, but not an .M3U format which is what you apparently need for "naked" MP3. I am still learning, but aren't we all...

Conan

Capt Chambo
3rd Dec 2005, 03:42
I use an airport express and then "transmit" my music (from iTunes) from my laptop via the airport express and speakers. To "transmit" a streamed radio show you probably need something like this
http://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/features.php

I haven't tried it so I can't vouch for it.

By the way I am an AppleMac man, but the theory should be the same for Windows.

AppleMacster
4th Dec 2005, 06:50
Airport Express (http://www.apple.com/uk/airportexpress) does indeed work on Windows as well as the Mac. However, as far as I'm aware it will only play from iTunes, so you're limited to the Radio feeds you can get through iTunes. The software Capt. Chambo suggests is Mac-only.

Acoustic Energy (http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/product_range/wifi_radio/) do a new wi-fi radio which will play over 2500 radio stations via your wireless connection. Cut out the computer middleman altogether. I'm hoping to find one in my Christmas stocking this year!

AppleMacster

rugmuncher
5th Dec 2005, 00:16
This is a gret little thing I've been using to listen to the radio on the web, you can also listen to all your hard drive tunes too.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/rocketfm/

works really well!

Hufty
6th Dec 2005, 14:43
Hi guys, thanks for the help. Conan - you're right - the stations I listen to stream directly from their websites which mean you can't transmit it wirelessly.....it needs to stream through some media software for the laptop to be able to "talk" to media software on a wireless box. It is all very interesting though - I am learning new things all the time. I think I will set it up with extra long cables instead!

Hufty.

Conan the Librarian
6th Dec 2005, 16:43
Hufty, before you do that, have a look at RugMunchers' post and then imagine a similar device that does not need a PC and will transmit from any device (Not just PC/Mac) with a 3.5mm stereo headphone/lineout socket to any radio/ car stereo, etc. and does it more cheaply. Have a Goggle at Google for the Arkon Soundfeeder and don't look if more than 15 quid.

Excellent piece of kit. I use it for many things, like putting the GPS voice directions on my PDA through the car stereo, or ahem! Playing internet radio from same PDA through the Hi fi... The last I have just tried as a result of this thread and it is Brilliant!

Conan

Conan the Librarian
9th Dec 2005, 19:30
Just a follow on - The Arkon Soundfeeder that I referred to in my last post, is putting up some very good performance with regard to range. I reckon 25 feet through some very thick walls. 'tis a little Cracker.

Conan

Hufty
9th Dec 2005, 20:42
Conan - yes this looks very interesting - it could well solve the problem. I will take a closer look and I am long overdue a new gadget anyway so will probably buy one. My flat is pretty old and as such has thick internal walls, so it sounds like it may be able to cope with the range requirements....

Nice one, thanks....