PDA

View Full Version : Printer & Paper Size

Compass Call
2nd Dec 2005, 20:50
Every time I want to print a document from word, I have to set the paper size to A4. The default setting is 'letter'.

I have to go into printer properties and from a drop-down list select A4. There does not seem to be any way to make this a permament selection.

Does anybody know if there is any way to make this selection permament?

I am using Win XP-SP2, Office XP & Epson 680 printer. Any suggestions gratefully accepted. :ok:

CC

BOAC
2nd Dec 2005, 20:59
My 670 has 'printing preferences'/'Paper/quality'/'Advanced'/'Paper Size' - a drop-down window?

Saab Dastard
2nd Dec 2005, 21:38
CC,

Start Word, then do File\Open\ Normal.dot

Normal.Dot should be in C : \ Documents and Settings\NAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates.

Set the page size to A4 and save - ensure that you save it as a .DOT (template). Now any new docs that you create will be A4 by default.

You may also want to ensure that your locale is correctly set to UK and Language is UK English, keyboard is UK etc. Some of these are in Word \ Options, some in Control Panel \ Regional Settings.

While you are at it, in Word Tools\Options\Print, try checking the "Allow A4/Letter paper resizing".

Also as BOAC says, ensure that you have set up the printer correctly in Printers and Faxes.

SD

Compass Call
2nd Dec 2005, 22:32
BOAC

Yes, I have that too. I have to select A4 every time as Letter is selected as default. What I would like to have is A4 selected as default ie. A4 at the top of the drop down list.

CC

Saab Dastard

All the settings in Office seem to be OK. What I think I have is a problem with the printer settings, but I can\'t seem to find it. The problem is probably staring me in the face and I can\'t see it for looking:O

Thanks for your help.

CC

BOAC
3rd Dec 2005, 07:37
CC - if I change my paper size it apears to stay as the set size. Are you 'in' as 'administrator'? Is it as 'simple' as that?

Saab Dastard
3rd Dec 2005, 18:19
Where did you get the driver for the printer?

I just installed the Stylus 680 driver on my Win XP Pro PC and the default is A4, using the standard Windows XP Pro driver for the Epson Stylus 680.

Same for the LQ 680.

Compass Call
3rd Dec 2005, 22:34
BOAC

Yes I am the 'Administrator'.

Saab Dastard

The driver was supplied with the printer.

CC

BOAC
4th Dec 2005, 08:05
Well, I'm stumped! I would uninstall and reinstall for starters. 2 minutes?

ck4707
4th Dec 2005, 08:46
Left click on start, then left click on settings, select printers and faxes.
Your printer should appear in the list.
RIGHT click on your printer and select Printing Preferences.
In this box you should be able to set all default settings you wish to use.

Hope this helps,

BOAC
4th Dec 2005, 09:45
:confused: :confused: :D

Compass Call
4th Dec 2005, 13:10
Well its working now:ok:

Downloaded new driver from the Epson(UK) site, the old one was 2001 & the new one 2004. Installed it and reset all the preferences and it seems to be doing what I want it to do.

Thanks very much for the help and advice - much appreciated :ok: :ok: :ok:

CC