PDA

View Full Version : jobs with airnz

standardbrief
2nd Dec 2005, 15:44
can anybody tell me the prospects with airnz. am currently flying in europe on an ATR 72 and will be moving to a 752 next year. i am mostly interested in the 777 and the 78 when it comes.
(i was born in nz).
any info would be appreciated.

:ok:

whiteknuckleairlines
2nd Dec 2005, 22:06
Give it a try but I doubt it.

Generally they prefer some local time so maybe an option would be to attempt to get into the link carriers....ie Mt Cook, Air Nelson, Eagle and then progress into Air NZ. May seem a step backward considering where you are but I think it would be your only realistic chance.

All the best!

AerocatS2A
2nd Dec 2005, 22:41
A friend of mine got into Air NZ with no NZ experience, he was over forty as well. It can be done.

piontyendforward
2nd Dec 2005, 23:15
No NZ experience is required for Air NZ. (Air Nelson does though)

Just the right to live and work in NZ, and be a "fit and proper" (CAA words not mine) to hold a NZ ATPL

I personally know 5 pilots (3 from Aussie and two from EU) in the last 9 months that have been taken on. ICAO ATPL's and never flown in New Zealand

Recruitment has slowed down to a stop at the moment. Intake courses for Dec,Jan and Feb have been cancelled. The next forecast intake is May at this stage, though that is subject to change.

Entry positions are:
B733 F/O
B767 S/O
B744 S/O

Possibly also the 777 S/O though the latest is they will be filled internally for the near future.

DeltaT
3rd Dec 2005, 09:06
Other requirements:
Have done "the hard yards"
The standard space shuttle landing
And once you have all that, also know someone on the inside.

Pass-A-Frozo
3rd Dec 2005, 12:42
Maybe if AirNZ buy another Aussie airline and :mad: it up, business will pick up for them :E

haughtney1
3rd Dec 2005, 13:33
Know from a few on the inside....as discussed before..the points system in place, there is no more jobs for your mates etc...

Cloud Cutter
5th Dec 2005, 02:28
DeltaT

Really showing your ignorance there mate. If you look at the large group of pilots taken on by Air NZ in the last 3 years, you will see that they recruit based on merit. The points system basically tries to quantify people's desirable qualities so that comparison is easier and fairer. In saying that, I have no doubt that if one makes a name for themselves as an 'undesirable' for various reasons (and we all know how word gets around), no amount of points will get them interviewed.

I my experience, the people I've seen progress from regionals in the past year or so have all been the cream of the crop.

standardbrief

As stated by others, you will not be counted out because you aren't flying in NZ at the moment. I would say that you may be slightly disadvantaged, but on the other hand there are very few applicants from NZ who have medium/heavy jet time. Last I heard, most of the entry positions in 2006 would be 777 and 767 S/O, although piontyendforward probably has more up to date info on that.

standardbrief
5th Dec 2005, 23:32
thanks for all the replys

next question at the time that im planning to apply i will be 26 (now 24) understandably this is no disadvantage in europe but will this disadvantage me in southern hemisphere aviation? granted this is two years time but if the same situation was applicable today would this be a pro con or irrevelent???

ps no room for australians on this thread

DeltaT
6th Dec 2005, 11:09
Cloud Cutter

So quick to call me ignorant?
2 of the 3 items I stated come from the person looking after the point system that I have talked to, C.K.
Can you guess which one is in jest?
The "" I used, is a direct quote *I* was given.
As for knowing someone; obviously this is once the points have been amassed to pass the interview threshold, the right referee is always going to help don't you think - and just as much to weed out the undeseribles as you mention.
Big changes from when being a pilots son with 500hrs got you in, or the days of old when Air NZ gave you a job before having a CPL.
As for jet time etc, regardless, the points still have to reach the right total for interview, some 40 in tally I believe. However 1 point is all that is given for a jet type rating.
To say that the points system is based on people's desirable qualities is only correct in that it is based purely on qualifications and flying hours in the different catagories (P1, multi etc), nothing more. Anything else, even other non flying but aviation related experience, gains no points.
I am not attacking the Air NZ process, stating the facts...
Feel free to correct anything I have stated.

iceblock
6th Dec 2005, 18:09
People have recently got into AirNZ over the age of 40. So I guess rather than 26 being "too old" I think you would be doing rather well to get in at that age. It would also mean that if you get in that young, when you are old and crusty you may be near the top of the dung heap!!

sarboy w****r
6th Dec 2005, 19:08
DeltaT,

Any chance of letting on how the points system is scaled please? i.e. how many points are awarded for what.

Thanks,

SBW

Cloud Cutter
6th Dec 2005, 20:01
2 of the 3 items I stated come from the person looking after the point system

I can guarantee you that 'knowing someone on the inside' is not a requirement. As you mention, you certainly will need good referees, but these will not necessarily be employees of Air NZ.

Now as for the other two, hard yards sounds reasonable, so I guess that leaves a space shuttle landing. Maybe I should start calling NASA.;)

pakeha-boy
6th Dec 2005, 20:46
mate!!!!!!!whats with the over 40,s stuff...seems to me that most Capts are in the over 40,s bracket....including yours truly,and it is this creme-del-le-creme that is teaching you young hoggets the tricks of the trade .......ease up on CFA.(cast for age).....YOUTH AND SKILL SUCCUMB TO OLD AGE AND TREACHERY:E

haughtney1
6th Dec 2005, 21:59
Having had some of the good oil recently..(a barbeque with a few high-ups, friends of the family.."ooops...the cuzzies for pakeha boy:) ") I can tell all that knowing people on the inside..including one said chief pilot...plus various fleet managers..flight Ops bosses (Gary you know who you are:} ) is no more of an advantage to getting an interview than anyone else...once your there perhaps it may be advantageous:ok:

DeltaT
7th Dec 2005, 09:52
Cloud Cutter

-Requirements- point on knowing someone conceded, however, bit like saying 2500hrs is required (the actual current threshold) compared to the 500hrs the website says!!!!!!

Sarboy

Sorry, I do not know all the point allocations

haughtney1

I can confirm what you are saying, knowing those very same people myself. However, it does help the application float lighter than air if you have the points.

kmagyoyo
8th Dec 2005, 03:29
Had a chat with someone about this and it goes along the lines of;

PPL, 500 hours single engine = low/zero points
CPL, 500 multi, ATPL subjects = medium
ATPL, multi turbine, ATO ops = high points

In a nutshell somes good - mores better. 2500 hours is the no $hit min to get in the door (insurance requirement).

slice
8th Dec 2005, 05:22
Just for us not so familiar with the NZ regs, can someone confirm that ATO ops are basically equivalent to Charter/RPT in Australia ?

Looking at the definitions at the start of the NZ regs this seems to be the case but there is mention of remote aerodromes being commercial ops ??

Cloud Cutter
8th Dec 2005, 05:52
Yip, pretty much anything involving paying pax or freight, ie requiring a CPL and OCA (competency assesment) under the relevant rule, and operated under a specific company's expostion. If you look at the deffinition of a remote AD, you will see there's not many in NZ. For the purpose of your Air NZ application I'm pretty sure they would consider commercial and air transport ops one and the same.

iceblock
8th Dec 2005, 17:50
There has been some debate that a degree also contrubutes to points accumulation. Is there any truth in this?

Sqwark2000
8th Dec 2005, 19:21
Have been trying to find out about the points system myself. A colleague at work has been told that the current points threshold for the interview pool is about 32 but maybe dropping to 28-ish in the future.

Other tidbits I've heard is that you get points for having 3000TT and maximum points with 5000+TT, points for tertiary education, points for ATPL theory and more points again if you hold an ATPL.

And another interesting thing my colleague from above was told (because he fits into the category) is that once you reach the age of 40 you start losing a point for each birthday thereafter.

Of course this would never be "official policy" as it goes against age discrimination laws in NZ, but it is their points system and they can set the rules as they want.

But to be honest I doubt wether the "points" system is the only system in place. Recently new turboprop co-pilots have been selected for interview over more experienced Captains in the queue. Maybe it's a way of protecting the experience levels in the Link group.

S2K

Cloud Cutter
8th Dec 2005, 19:25
From what I've heard it does, but I don't think there's too much weight put on it (it may only be worth a small number of points).

As far as the age thing goes, you are given points inversely proportional to your age (ie. as you age you loose points - they may not own up to this one as it is against human rights legislation).

Max points for total time achieved with 2000 hrs (although as mentioned there is a 2500 hr insurance requirement).

Max points for multi crew command 500 hrs (as far as I'm aware there is no distinction between aircraft types).

I'm pretty sure these are accurate, but they are from memory.

CaptYanknBank
10th Dec 2005, 10:32
""Maybe if AirNZ buy another Aussie airline and it up, business will pick up for them""

Nuthin to do with "the" airline being bloated with staff then......:zzz:

Kiwi red
10th Dec 2005, 11:44
The points system is archaic! Apparently they're hiring at around 37 - 39 points and yes you do get points for having a degree, if you don't this severly affects you chances as it is covered in one of the five main catergories. One of the others being age called 'time of useful service'.

Anyway rumour has it the system may be changing!! Fingers crossed it will.