PDA

View Full Version : Grade II Listed airfields

Tiger_mate
2nd Dec 2005, 14:24
Teletext overnight mentioned that there are to be Grade II listed airfields associated with Battle of Britain and Dambuster airfields.

I assume that this means that RAF Scampton is now listed. I am told that the buildings are in such a poor state and in need of total rewiring that the RAF are likely to shelve plans to regenerate the airfield with fighter controllers, and that the Reds may move to Leeming in order to close the base.

Which BofB airfield they are talking about is anybodys guess, but with Coltishalls closure imminent, one has to wonder about its future.

I have a GII listed outbuilding and its maintenance would be enforced by law if I allowed it to decay. Taxpayer or private enterprise to pay??

Anybody got any more news about this matter, for if it is to be so, this will have a major effect on 'Aviation Nostalgia' in the UK.

Dop
2nd Dec 2005, 15:42
The news is .here (http://www.culture.gov.uk/global/press_notices/archive_2005/DCMS_171.htm?properties=archive%5F2005%2C%2Fhistoric%5Fenvir onment%2FQuickLinks%2Fpress%5Fnotices%2Fdefault%2C&month=)

Trumpet_trousers
5th Dec 2005, 18:58
Pity Binbrook isn't on the list, but I suppose it's been left to rot for too long - shame really, as it has a (fairly) unique building in 'Alcatraz' (the Officer's Mess Annexe)
Last time I was there, the Control Tower had gone, and the runways were just about recycled for hardcore..... :(

(edited to add: I know it wasn't BoB or Dambusters, but it was a good example of an Expansion Period airfield)

chevvron
6th Dec 2005, 11:26
And as I've said on the airports thread, contractors are presently digging up the old ETPS dispersal on the south side at Farnborough.