PDA

View Full Version : Diversions due to bad weather

madbadrob
2nd Dec 2005, 03:46
Another question if I may.

From my days as an Air Cadet and spending time in the ATC section I remember that the RAF had divert bases listed should the weather become to dangerous to land or an accident etc. I have been informed today elsewhere that civilian airports don't have this and it is the operators choice. Is this correct?

Rob

Gary Lager
2nd Dec 2005, 07:04
Yes.

Different aircraft have different requirements in terms of airport suitability.

Each airline will have airports at which they are able to provide pax handling/engineering/crew; they will be the preferred choice in the event of a diversion.

Whilst in the civilian world we make every effort to ensure that where we divert will have minimum impact on:

a) the rest of the operation
b) passenger convenience
c) company costs

NOTHING prevents us from selecting a different airport if necessary for safety reasons.

I suspect even in the RAF the selection of diversion airfield would vary with aircraft type and/or a combination of the above factors as well.

Farmer 1
2nd Dec 2005, 07:21
Rob,

You're not thinking of FIDO, are you? How long ago were you in the ATC?

Wycombe
2nd Dec 2005, 07:59
I think you are referring to the MEDA (Master Emergency Diversion Airfield) system. There were/are a small no. of the larger RAF airfields around the UK, open H24, that are available for diversions. IIRC Lyneham, Waddington, Leuchars are part of this system today.

In the commercial world, there are lots of complex factors that come into play, but no list of airfields to be nominated as Divs (each operator will make decisions based on its requirements).

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
2nd Dec 2005, 08:24
Cor.. reminds me of when Heathrow was a diversion field for V-bombers!!!

Bren (ex 43F ATC)

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
2nd Dec 2005, 09:10
Manchester tends to get quite a lot of the heavies from Lyneham, Brize (Fairford at present) if there is fog

G-I-B