PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair 737-800 with winglets ...

PPPmember
1st Dec 2005, 11:20
.... rumour has it all Ryanair Boeings will be retrofitted with winglets ...

Anybody ....

Pictures ....

Say again s l o w l y
1st Dec 2005, 11:23
My understanding is that they will all be retrofitted with winglets.

Cyrano
1st Dec 2005, 11:38
Yes. Confirmed by Caroline Green (Ryanair Director of Customer Service - she was rather defensive about her job title ;) ) who spoke at the Future of Air Transport conference in London yesterday. Winglets got a brief mention in the overall "why we are wonderful and everyone loves us" speech.

She said:
- FR estimates fuel burn reduction 2.5%-3% overall from winglets;
- saving likely to be of the order of $10,000 per month per aircraft.

Algy
1st Dec 2005, 11:46
Very old news...

Ryanair to fit winglets across entire fleet
David Kaminski-Morrow, London (24Feb05, 11:21 GMT, 205 words)

Irish budget carrier Ryanair is to retrofit its entire fleet of Boeing 737 aircraft with blended winglets, with installations to begin immediately.

It has ordered 225 winglet sets and placed purchase options on another 200, providing the largest single order for winglets supplier Aviation Partners Boeing.

Ryanair, which today ordered 70 more 737-800s taking its total firm commitment to the type to 225, will retrofit its existing 737-800s and, from January 2006, all new aircraft deliveries will have the winglets installed during manufacture.

Speaking at a briefing in London today, Ryanair CEO Michael O’Leary said the airline expected at least a 2% cost saving per year on fuel burn. He says this saving, given the price of fuel, is “significant” and adds: “These winglets would pay for themselves in very short order.”

Aviation Partners Boeing CEO Mike Marino says: “The significance of this order is huge and it really pushes us over the top as far as critical mass goes. A product endorsement of this magnitude makes blended winglet technology the new standard.”

He adds the continued success of blended winglet technology on 737-700/800s is enabling it to develop technology for other aircraft models, including the Boeing 757-200ER and 767-300ER.

Source: Air Transport Intelligence news

Craggenmore
1st Dec 2005, 11:53
Is this to support 'longer' haul operations :confused:

PPPmember
1st Dec 2005, 19:27
Anybody out there that has actualle seen the aircraft yet ? Pictures ??

Opened the question earlier today, but it seems to have been deleted ....

Hmmmm ....

Baron rouge
1st Dec 2005, 19:33
Picture on Boeing site, first to be delivered january 2006

Scottish Flyer
1st Dec 2005, 19:37
The first -800 with winglets was rolled out at Prestwick today. EI-DCJ is the first of the existing fleet to have the winglets added.

captplaystation
1st Dec 2005, 19:50
Okay lads,being a professional pilots web-site I won't apologise for barging in to any "spotting" interests here;anybody flown 800's with & without care to comment on any differences? I heard crosswind limit lower/more difficult to get the bugger down & I guess they ice up? looks quite foxy though. . . Oh my God I'm turning into one of those Aerosexuals that MOL once accused us of being.

hobie
1st Dec 2005, 19:51
Fear not PPP ..... your earlier post was 'Ferried' to the hallowed grounds of the 'Spectators Balcony (spotters corner)' ..... you had better read this post quickly because I suspect your later thread will shortly experience the same fate ....

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=200583

:ok:

captplaystation
1st Dec 2005, 20:04
Well I thought I asked a non Reginald S Potter type of question? Oh well never mind, by the way guv ( he asks in the tone of one who has popped into the local newsagent to peruse the latest issue of "nuns in saunas illustrated") anyone got a link to a piccy? nothing in Airliners.net & couldn't find nowt chez Boeing.

Wing Commander Fowler
2nd Dec 2005, 00:00
Good morning Gaystation - they seek him here they seek him there they...... You should know all this twaddle - shame on you!

By the way chaps not ALL our boeings will be fitted with winglets! The 200's are gonna look pretty stupid with garage doors on the side hmmmmmm??? :p

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
2nd Dec 2005, 09:16
Depends if they are up and over ( Oh er maddam) coz thay would look a little strange barrel rolling down the approach

G-I-B

captplaystation
2nd Dec 2005, 10:11
Wangco, yes I got around to reading yesterday's FCI, 33kts T/O x/wind limit instead of 35; wouldn't mind an answer to the other 2 parts though & still can't find a piccy.As they sent the first one to Skavsta we should see it next week in the morn "chez nous"? S'pose you want to call this one the "God all-mighty 800" ? (Oh by the way could you leave me the Dec copy of Rabid Young Rodents in my piggy-hole?)What the hell are you doing here at this time of day anyway,thought you liked to "sleep" in your own bed?

Wing Commander Fowler
2nd Dec 2005, 15:30
Hehe! Would you REALLY consider it appropriate to post this question in spotty's balcony???

anybody flown 800's with & without care to comment on any differences?

........ leaving your flies a little open dear chap!!! ;)

BOAC
2nd Dec 2005, 16:37
To be fair to CPS, I think the original post was on R&N and our good leaders decided to merge 2 threads and move them/it here as it was developing a 'spotters' tinge' - and hence the 'circular' link in the post by 'hobie'.

If this discussion is destined to develop on technical or piloting issues, then of course it can be moved on to a more appropriate forum.

Watching and waiting :D

captplaystation
2nd Dec 2005, 16:39
My dear mariner,when I originally posted,this was still/back in Rumours&News,having already being moved once;I was hoping my attempt to move it in a non-saddo direction might let it breathe a little longer in R&N, but no, off it waltzed again; which begs the question,what were you doing in a spotters forum at 2 in the morning,yer a closet bleedin anorak or what?BOAC, beat me to it!Ta.

hobie
2nd Dec 2005, 17:29
then of course it can be moved on to a more appropriate forum.

Oh no !!!! ..... not again :(

Between keeping track of triple P's Winglet threads and listening to the Cricket from 4.30 in the morning (bless you Radio 4) I'm getting very little sleep these days ..... :{

;)

BOAC
2nd Dec 2005, 18:26
hobie - do NOT get stressed about this - PPP and I, being caring, warm and fluffy moderators will ENSURE a link to any moved thread is placed here for you.

If it all gets too much for you - here is where you can go (http://www.weirdity.com/internet/eoti.html)

Wing Commander Fowler
2nd Dec 2005, 18:41
........ windy night, fell outa me hammock, musta landed on me marlin spike!!! :p

PitotTube
3rd Dec 2005, 10:49
here it is

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/969673/L/

http://images.airliners.net/photos/middle/3/7/6/969673.jpg

captplaystation
3rd Dec 2005, 16:39
Ooh,I'm coming over all funny, just joking chaps;does look rather nice though,pity they couldn't have matched the paint when they repainted under the cockpit though! And the location, yes, like the location!Thanks for posting that, I am too computer illiterate ( I said COMPUTER illiterate Wingco) to manage that.

Wing Commander Fowler
3rd Dec 2005, 22:24
......... an there's me thinkin you were coming all over funny at the thought of me marlin spike hehe!!!

Milt
4th Dec 2005, 10:34
How much winglet is effective and how much is cosmetic.?

Can anyone convince us that the extra weight is worth carrying around? Perhaps there is a benefitial effect on directional stability.

BOAC
4th Dec 2005, 10:59
read here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=200620)