PDA

View Full Version : What to say??

Natit
1st Dec 2005, 03:16
What do you say to someone who asks what you do for a living, and then once you tell them you're a pilot they then go on to ask "Oh cool. So someday you want to become a commercial pilot and then maybe fly the big jets?"

There's no point in trying explain that you're ALREADY a commercial pilot but you need an ATPL and a f*** load of hours etc.

There's gotta be some whitty replies somewhere??

Maybe I should just say I'm a glorified bus driver? :)

Howard Hughes
1st Dec 2005, 03:30
You might want to try Jetblast, that's where the witty pruners hang out...;)

HH.
:ok:

AerocatS2A
1st Dec 2005, 08:41
Serious answer:

I don't bother with correcting their ideas about a "commercial pilot", I know what they mean and that's all that counts.

So, I generally say "yeah, I'm working towards it" or something.

I generally try not to encourage any conversation about what I do because most people don't know enough about it to be able to have a useful conversation.

They say, "what do you fly?", I say, "a Dash 8", they give me a blank look. Sometimes I might describe it or tell them a route that it flies in case they've been on one. Mostly I just give up.

Don't get me wrong, I don't ignore non-aviation people, I just try to talk to them about what they do, not what I do, I find it more interesting that way.

gspinz
1st Dec 2005, 09:01
"i wrangle tigers and feed the penguins" <-- chicks dig that.

gspinz

DeBurcs
1st Dec 2005, 09:11
Do you also have a card that says you do that?

And other things like:

Bars emptied
Coups Plotted
Gov'ts Overthrown
Virgins de-flowered
Last of the Big-Time Spenders
etc
etc

Yeah I used to have sh!t like that too.

I also thought chicks dug it.

Turns out not many chicks thought me being a Pilot was worth a pinch of snot compared to the interns (or whatever you call a young, male, trainee doctor) or other guys with proper-paying jobs.

These smarter fcuks had much greater earning potential than I did, in the eyes of all the shallow young nurses and trainee nurses I was trying to pound when I were an un-washed, poor, starving, sex-starved 21yo GA driver in a bush town.

I guess being a pilot didn't make me as great as I thought it did, back then.

Still, at least I never went native..... :uhoh:

:ok:

18-Wheeler
1st Dec 2005, 09:12
I'm the bloke that puts the little stickers on apples.

Sunfish
1st Dec 2005, 09:20
Let me tell t like it is. Never mind being a pilot. Once you are over 40 you will find yourself swamped with women who are aware that their biological clock is ticking.

Once you are over 50, you will be able to go out every night of the week with a different female (if that is what you wish).

I'm having a night off. Red Emporer for Lunch and then PJ's Irish Pub until an hour ago. Had to beat them off with a stick.

Chadzat
1st Dec 2005, 09:25
BAHAHAHA, nice one 18-wheeler.

AerocatS2A "I generally try not to encourage any conversation about what I do because most people don't know enough about it to be able to have a useful conversation."

Exactly. I get sick and tired of explaining all the same **** over and over again to people who have no idea about flying. I have given up. It's worse for me because I am still pre-CPL and hence pre-professional pilot. So I can't even just say who I'm working for. I have to explain the process of training and flying hours and the teeny weeny "unsafe" aircraft that I fly.....blah blah blah.

I am yet to discover a person who hasn't mentioned the words "unsafe" or if an airliner has crashed in the last week "you sure you want to be a pilot? They seem pretty dangerous those planes."

:}

Dry_Twotter
1st Dec 2005, 10:29
the passengers who ask me "do you want to be a commercial pilot one day "are usually the same people who i "forget" to remind to put on their seatbelts on a turbulent day!

Defenestrator
1st Dec 2005, 10:59
Years ago a good mate and I would go out 'hunting' and tell the 'prey' that we were plumbers and carpenters. Definately got a lot more action with those creds than telling them we were drivers. If said mate is reading I've just blown my cover big time!!

:}

takeonme
1st Dec 2005, 23:13
Tell them you already are a f***in commercial pilot.

Pass-A-Frozo
2nd Dec 2005, 00:43
Who cares what they think? You know what you do and are proud of it, that's all the counts.

Being a pilot and not a doctor isn't what stops me getting laid, being a fat, ugly know it all does :} :}

Remember, people who think they know everything ruin it for those of us that do! :p

Transition Layer
2nd Dec 2005, 01:50
Just tell them exactly what you do for f*ck's sake - I didn't work my ring off to get where I am just so I can tell a girl I'm a brickie or a sparky (no offence intended to those professions). Unless of course they are a flight attendant, in which case tell them you are anything but a pilot! Hahaha :}

Of course, spend more time talking about them and what they do, and the chance of getting in their pants increases exponentially - well in theory anyway!!! I often do my best to disprove that theory - the drool running down my chin is usually the deterrent!

Cheers,
TL :D

psycho joe
2nd Dec 2005, 03:47
I'm an ant farmer,

I breed a special type of ant that eats the dead trees that have fallen over in the forrest, so that wild animals have room to run and play.....It'a all about looking after animals and the environment

We muster several times a year with helicopters...it can get pretty dangerous...sometimes we muster bull ants.

(Works best when taking off Steve Erwin)

one dollar short
2nd Dec 2005, 05:24
old classic.

What do you do ?

I work with aluminium.

What do you do with it ?

Oh you know, import/export

Pass-A-Frozo
2nd Dec 2005, 06:45
How about petroleum product conversions.

fixa24
2nd Dec 2005, 06:59
should hear the stoopid relies you get when you tell them your an ATC. "So you wave the paddles in front of the airplanes?" :sad: :yuk: :yuk:

THE IRON MAIDEN
2nd Dec 2005, 08:27
If they aren't much chop and you don't intend to get into their pants, when they say, so one day you want to be a Commercial pilot. You can say to them. So one day you want to be a woman, you know after the operation.. Then make the moves on her better looking friend.
and if they are both ugly go back to the bar get some more booze and try again later when they look attractive.

18-Wheeler
5th Dec 2005, 03:47
Let me tell t like it is. Never mind being a pilot. Once you are over 40 you will find yourself swamped with women who are aware that their biological clock is ticking.

Really?
I just turned 40 .....
My mobile number is - :)

Chimbu chuckles
5th Dec 2005, 04:37
What do I do?

I work in aluminium tubing.;)

Time Bomb Ted
5th Dec 2005, 04:39
I once heard from a QF Captain, "I work in pressurised aluminium tubing."

Good one that!

TBT

Bevan666
5th Dec 2005, 06:21
Don't tell mum I'm a pilot.

I tell her I play piano in a whorehouse.

tinpis
5th Dec 2005, 06:26
Owner /Skipper of a prawn trawler in Darwhine.
"Yeh darlin always lookin for good deckies..come up to me room and Ill see if I got a life jacket for ya"

DeBurcs
5th Dec 2005, 06:55
used to do some security work ... and had the uniform still on at the pub one night Does that make you a total w@nker, then??

If you were wearing your pilot's uniform there'd be 6 pages of insecure losers here, all telling you how tight your grip is on ya knob because you wore your w@nker uniform to the bar like Maverick.

But rent-a-cop gear is A-OK..... :ok:

CIA Stooge
5th Dec 2005, 07:14
I just tell them I work for the CIA - it's true even if they think its the 'other' CIA. :p

multime
6th Dec 2005, 03:21
TRY
Dolphin trainer from sea world
High speed aluminium tube consultant
Baker (doey a*sed F***)
Madam lash (i love girls! i used to be one)!
Bus driver
Worm technician
Professional golfer
Sexologist

or my personal choice,- high speed aerosol applicator.
If that doesn,t work ! who cares.
Cheers M:E

Soulman
6th Dec 2005, 03:45
Was a story doing the rounds about an overnighting crew out on the town one night. Got chatting to a good looking bird and dropped the "Oh, we're both dolphin trainers at Seaworld..."

The girl was suitably impressed and shot back with "Well, that's funny - because I'M a dolphin trainer at Seaworld and I've never seen you before..."

Needless to say, the jetjocks walked away with their tails between their legs.

Moral of the story - be careful who you drop your lines on.

Shot down - huh Mav?

Soulman

Oliver Klozof
6th Dec 2005, 04:25
Old ones but good ones…

Evil ferret trader
Underwater wood welder
Harpoon operator on a prawn trawler
I collect goldfish farts to put the bubbles in compasses

multime
6th Dec 2005, 05:37
I,m the guy who monitors calls for training purposes !!?.
Cheers M:E

drshmoo
6th Dec 2005, 22:36
Transition Layer worked hard to get where he is. He was a designated native manual inseminator at Forrest River Mission. His services were flogged by Mal at Oombie store for half a slab of Emu Bitter and a box of "lady in a boat"

Old Saady from Bankstown says that he is a "retired mole rooter"

Ski Guru
6th Dec 2005, 23:26
Pro Skier

worked for me

Dr Shmoo, didn't you have the same job up the road at clumpofpoo?

apache
7th Dec 2005, 00:46
Old Saady from Bankstown...

aka

Happy Jack.

Did a few tours with him. He is a lovely bloke when you take the time to get to know him. Likes his trains though...and beer.

My favourite is when pax get on and joke ...
"Is this thing safe?"...
I just say ,
"No. Now sit down and strap in tight!"

they usually shut up after that.