PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Internet in the cockpit

remofo
1st Dec 2005, 03:16
I was wondering if anyone has Internet in their cockpit using Telstra's CDMA 1xRTT Wireless service or a satcom data link?

Specifically if anyone has tried acquiring weather, TAFs, METARs and Satellite/Radar Imagery in-flight?

The 1xRTT service exists in the footprint of the CDMA voice network, soon to be replaced by a new WCDMA850 network.

For cross-country flights, using the Bureau of Meteorology's Aviation Weather services together with a semi-reliable wireless internet connection is a feasible though inferior substitute for the US-only satellite radio weather services like XM WX and WSI .

Any thoughts?

Runway37
1st Dec 2005, 03:21
Wait for Garmin to release the new Garmin 396 (US$3,500) in Australia and it will do all that for you through the Satellite radio network as it already does in the US. Hold your breath, it's coming and things will change for the better real soon.

Bevan666
1st Dec 2005, 03:32
I would doubt we will see the sateliteweather functions in the 396 supported in australia any time soon. Our market is just so small.

Its is not even available in Europe.

I've had some success using GPRS in the cockpit dloading weather, but I wouldnt want to have to rely on it.

Bevan..

remofo
1st Dec 2005, 03:33
I bought a Garmin 296 not so long ago and would have handed over the extra cash for the 396 but it doesn't work here in Australia...yet....when it does you can be sure I will upgrade, but it will be a while yet before we get subscription satellite radio.

Runway37
1st Dec 2005, 03:37
Well Bevan, you're probably right. The 396 is barely in it's infancy at the moment I guess.

Stay tuned though coz in the not too distant future I predict 3-Dimensional GPS with full 3-Dimensional terrain mapping, with external aircraft views, head-up display and integrated everything. Imagine flying through a valley in total darkness, 50 ft above the deck with your 3D GPS, ground proximity warning and radar terrain mapping and night vision!

dude65
1st Dec 2005, 04:30
This bloke seems to have a handle on what you're talking about

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/science/buzz/stories/s1252391.htm

DeBurcs
1st Dec 2005, 07:09
Telstra's CDMA 1xRTT Wireless service Is that the Card you insert which connects to broadband service through the mobile phone network?

If so, I would think you would find it hard to connect above about 5000ft. This is the highest my phone has ever worked when I've forgotten to turn it off.

Also, obviously out bush there is NO coverage in many area "across country".

Apologies if I'm on the wrong track here.

Capt Claret
1st Dec 2005, 07:35
I've been told that CDMA works well at altitute, and look forward to trying the wireless networking out, when able.

For research purposes only, of course. :}

Pass-A-Frozo
1st Dec 2005, 12:10
Well,

Get yourself a copy of Falconview, Level 2 DTED [digital Terrain Elevation Data], a GPS antenna and you can pretty much already do that. Although your laptop battery running out doesn't help :8

remofo
2nd Dec 2005, 01:15
Thanks Dude

The Professor definitely has a handle on this. Very interesting, it seems we really are on the verge of the Internet being a viable source for WX and just about everything else in flight.

Jenna Talia
2nd Dec 2005, 10:54
Unfortunately, the CDMA network will be shut down sometime in the future, according to the new Telstra CEO, in an effort to cut costs.

Sunfish
2nd Dec 2005, 11:31
I find CDMA works really well... especially when you are calling a PPR field owner.

Pass-A-Frozo
2nd Dec 2005, 11:35
T'is true.

ABC Story talking about it (http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200511/s1508230.htm)

I think Satellite radio is the way to go. Just need someone to bring out satellite radio for everyday Aussies to listen to - then aviation can ride on the back of that network.

The other thing someone could try is setting up a weather transmission on a terrestrial radio networks (FM) RDS portion of the signal.

ABC was leasing the RDS portion of their signal out to some company providing a differential GPS service - can't see why they couldn't do it for weather. Although you'd only get it in the more populous regions.

itsbrokenagain
2nd Dec 2005, 16:01
As an Oz expat flying corporate in the USA you will be amazed with the satellite wx capability if you guys get it, also the digital audio on the radio portion is amazing, the weather service in our plane is $10 per month, and it gives us the radio also to listen too, the radar updates are also great for giving a picture of whats ahead, the citation radar isnt much good for greater then 150miles, so this helps to keep us in the picture.

But with the us satellite radio providers needing 3 million subscribers to get to break even, I wonder if they will set it up in Australia? But if they do it, subscribe to it, you wont be dissapointed.

PS we have a wireless router connected into a modem that has a slow 56kpbs modem link thru our satellite phone in the plane and it works good. so its possible to have this in a plane. bluetooth products are also approved over here with the new paperless cockpit equipment.

remofo
2nd Dec 2005, 20:38
Satellite Wx is the best option by far but huge roll-out costs and break-even points mean it will take some time to come to Australia.

CDMA (RTTx1) has a huge operational range, reportedly providing connectivity at altitude up to or in excess of 300km from populated areas. This provides an ability to get TAFs and METARs in the outback. It is slated be replaced by a WCDMA850 network operating on the same 850Mhz bandwidth. Telstra says it will provide an equal or improved footprint while cutting costs by consolodating 2 networks into 1.

Also another possibility with Internet connectivity is Kattron - A local company using LPATS to detect lightning strikes nationwide. LPATS is an array network that detects strike location which is then sent to a server and then on to the end-user via a map interface, in this case by CDMA to a notebook in your cockpit, all in real time.