PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Number Porting

Professor Plum
30th Nov 2005, 16:49
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum, so mods, feel free to move it!

I've got a O2 Pay as you go Mobile, and today I got myself a O2 pay monthly contract.

I asked for my old pay as you go number to be switched across to my new contract, and have been told that this could take anywhere between 2 and 10 working days!

Has anyone alse done the same as me? If so, how long did it take?

Cheers!

Background Noise
30th Nov 2005, 18:30
Did exactly the same and with O2 too. Few days IIRC - old sim becomes useless, your current temp number goes. I think I even transferred any unused balance, which wasn't much, across to my new contract.

Did you sign up to the insurance deal - free for the first x months then so much thereafter etc - I did, with the intention of cancelling after the free period, then forgot about it - ho, hum.

Professor Plum
1st Dec 2005, 12:50
Thanks for the reply,

The insurance deal wasn't mentioned to me. I just said I wasn't interested in insurance.

Might pop down to the shop later and see what the score is. Sounds like a good deal to me, having 6 months free!

joe2812
1st Dec 2005, 13:26
The insurance should have been offered.

I took my new contract out with O2 a couple of weeks ago and had to sign to say i'd been told about the insurance but had declined it.

I think you have 14 days after taking out the contract to change your mind and sign up for the insurance.

Background Noise
1st Dec 2005, 14:40
Note I didn't say 'six' months but 'x' months ie I can't remember but the point was that the deafult seemed to be take it and cancel later - which I forgot to do! Anyway the main Q was porting - it wasn't a drama.

potkettleblack
1st Dec 2005, 15:27
Sorry to jump on your post Professor but does porting work if you have a contract due to expire but wish to take your number to another provider but on a pay as you go basis? Have spoken with my current provider Orange and they said some time ago that changing to PAYG wasn't a problem and I could keep my number but would rather give them the shove after a few bust ups of late.

Professor Plum
1st Dec 2005, 18:11
Background noise,

Sorry, I misread your post. I'll still pop down the shop and see if the offers still open.

Joe2812,

Thanks for your reply, the insurance was offered, but the salesman was being very pushy up until that point, so when he offered insurance, I said no, and wouldn't let him get a word in edgeways! Perhaps I should have....:p

potkettleback,

I havent a clue if you can keep your contract number if you switch to pay as you go. I'd have a word with the service provider you want to swith to, and I'm sure they'll let you know.

Cheers