PDA

View Full Version : Backup software recomendations

Super Stall
30th Nov 2005, 09:58
My current backup regime is getting a bit tiresome, can anyone recommend any programs to make life a little easier ?

I tried disk imaging for a while (Drive Image) but it was time consuming and seemed a little excessive. I only need to backup photos, videos,music spreadsheets/data etc and the odd dowloaded program.

Ideally I'd like to be able to schedule unattended, incemental backups mostly to a second internal hard drive but also to cd/dvd.

Dont mind spending cash for decent quality. Also is it worth investing in an external hard drive?.

Any other ideas on the best way to manage backups gratefully rec'vd.

Ta.

BlueEagle
30th Nov 2005, 10:29
Zone Labs at www.zonelabs.com have just brought out something called Turbo BackUp don't know anything about it but it is a possibility.

It says:

"Whether you are new to computers or an experienced power user, TurboBackup is must-have software for your PC.

With TurboBackup, you can quickly and easily back up your most important files – including pictures, email, critical system files, and configuration settings. You can also customize your settings to back up specific files, run at scheduled times. And restoring your files is just as easy.

Fast Recovery
In the event of virus attacks, hardware failure, or system and application errors, you can restore critical parts of the damaged OS and your data, and quickly bring your system back without overwriting any unnecessary data.
Multiple DVD and CD Backup
TurboBackup supports network, hard drives, removable drives, DVDs, and CDs as Backup media, with the option for silent or scheduled backup.
Flexible Scheduling
Schedule hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly backup as well as auto backup on Startup and Shutdown. TurboBackup also supports multiple user accounts backup without user logon.
Backup Workgroup Computers
Setup your own task to backup drives or folders from any computer to a centralized data depository, such as hard drive, removable drive, NAS (Network Attached Storage), and DVD/CD burner.
Windows Compatibility
Supports all Windows platforms: Windows 95/98/ME, NT/2000/XP Server and Workstation, XP SP1, and SP2."

Spitoon
30th Nov 2005, 17:14
IIRC Windows XP Pro has a backup application that will allow you to schedule backups of specific folders. Can't be sure 'coz my present machine has Home Edition on it and it's not available on that.

Mac the Knife
30th Nov 2005, 18:32
"...is it worth investing in an external hard drive?"

YES - get one of those little 60GB USB pocket drives. And keep your master backups backup off site (at work or something).

Backup programs are fine, but they store your data in a compressed format which, while it saves space (not as much as you think) can be a real nuisance when your box is down.

XXCOPY http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm is free for personal use, infinitely customisable, VERY fast (esp. for incremental backups) and you can build batch files (remember them?) that will run selective backups when you schedule them in Scheduled Tasks.

You DO need to read the documentation and certain degree of familiarity with the console (command line) is helpful.

Spitoon - Oh yes it is!

Hidden away in your Windows XP Home Edition CD is the installation program for the Backup app. Just put in the XP CD, and navigate to <letter of your CD drive>:\Valueadd\msft\ntbackup

Run NTBACKUP.MSI (it might look like just "Ntbackup") This will launch the installation Wizard, which will install the Backup utility automatically.

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Backup - and Bob's your uncle!

--------------------
"Bother," said Pooh as he struggled with /etc/sendmail.cf, "it never does quite what I want. I wish Christopher Robin was here."

bladewashout
30th Nov 2005, 20:34
I use Dantz Retrospect professional.

I have the kids PC with a cheap 120GB USB disk on it which I use as a server, and my laptop has a 'client' agent, 2 of which come with the software.

It automatically backs up the server and the clients with weekly and incremental backups, recycles to clear out files etc.

All for about £80. Needs the machines to be networked, if you have more than one.

BW

Onan the Clumsy
26th Dec 2005, 15:06
I'm merging a thread I started before using Search properly

===

Does anyone use any good backup software?
I added an external hard drive to do nightly backups, and I chose a Buffalo drive for three reasons

It was fairly inexpensive - $104 for 160 Gb (after a dreaded mail in rebate)

It uses a heat sink instead of a fan, so it's silent

It came with software to handle the backups

The problem is that the software is a little immature. I can set up the directories to be backed up and schedule the backup, but

It doesnt see shared drives, though I can probably map a shared drive

It puts everything in the root, so I can't make a separate folder for each computer

Worts of all, it has no expiration feature so I'll have to monitor the backup drive to make sure it doesn't fill up

So it looks like I'll have to write my own batch file and run it as a scheduled task. I was just wondering if anyone out there could point me towards any better software.

...and in true bulletin board style, I'm doing a search AFTER posting. Looks like there might have been something posted in November

===

Mac thanks. I installed NTBACKUP, so I'll give it a try now :ok:

Mac the Knife
28th Dec 2005, 17:21
Spoil yourselves with MirrorFolder - http://www.techsoftpl.com/backup/ - works like a charm.

Lots of options, scheduled or even real-time mirroring if you want. Impressive.

Only problem is that it costs $39 but well worth it for a neat piece of software that does it's job well and is pretty fire-and-forget.

The realtime feature is kinda neat.

rotorcraig
28th Dec 2005, 18:42
I use SyncBack Freeware (http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html) (scroll down to 2nd half of page).

Doesn't copy locked files (unless you pay for the unfree edition!) so can't put it on a timer, but easy to kick off and leave running for 2 minutes once you've closed Outlook Express etc.

RC

BLUE SKY THINKER
8th Jan 2006, 20:57
Spoil yourselves with MirrorFolder - http://www.techsoftpl.com/backup/ - works like a charm.
Lots of options, scheduled or even real-time mirroring if you want. Impressive.
Only problem is that it costs $39 but well worth it for a neat piece of software that does it's job well and is pretty fire-and-forget.
The realtime feature is kinda neat.
Just had a look at this on 30 day approval. Very impressive; and all in a 1Mb download (in sharp contrast - on both counts - to a number of other well known names I've just spent a wet afternoon trialing and dismissing).

rotorcraig
8th Jan 2006, 21:28
(also FullSync from http://fullsync.sourceforge.net/)

Edit: Having played with it myself for a day or so it I'm not impressed with either it's speed or robustness ... actually I remain unconvinced by the speed or robustness of anything that turns out to be written in Java. Oh well!

RC

BLUE SKY THINKER
10th Jan 2006, 11:22
rotorcraig.....

Give the previously mentioned MirrorFolder a 30 day trial; I don't think you will be disappointed. ...So simple and as highlighted by 'Mac the Knife' the real time feature really makes it.

CBA_caption
10th Jan 2006, 21:04
Maxtor one touch external drive comes with the Dantz software mentioned above. My dad's got it and it works like a charm. I'm still saving the pennies, but it's not that expensve. Up to 300Gb, I think

CBA

Basil
22nd Feb 2006, 16:41
Couple of requests for comment:
1. I use Dantz Retrospect with a Maxtor Ext HDD. The software permits BACKUP which appears to encrypt the backed up files so that one cannot have a look at them on the ext HDD and I have to say that I find that a bit confusing. There is also a DUPLICATE option which I run daily in rotation to 7 folders. This copies in plain (replacing corresponding files) so that I can see my files. How do you view this procedure cf using BACKUP?
2. Anyone know of a fire resistant enclosure suitable for the Maxtor (40mm x 140mm x 270mm to allow for cables)?