PDA

View Full Version : Problem with ATC at Manila

PA-28-180
30th Nov 2005, 05:50
Just breaking in local media. Apparently (and forgive me I'm NOT an ATC type..just use the service-gratefully) the "Aeronautical Fixed Telecommunications Network" has gone belly up - NOT that this is too big a surprise here. ATC is currently using fax machines to pass along position reports, etc to other centers and reporting current flight delays of up to 15 minutes. Not a major deal, I guess....just wanted to pass along.
Link:
http://news.inq7.net/breaking/index.php?index=2&story_id=58252

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
30th Nov 2005, 06:50
<<Jatico said arriving and departing flights were only delayed by five minutes, but the Airline Operators Council (AOC) said the delays have been as much as 10 to 15 minutes.

In fact, departing aircraft have to queue at the Naia runway for take off, something rarely seen in other international airports. Nikko Dizon >>

I'm sure most readers will now fall about in hysterics!! Wonder where Mr Nikko Dizon has spent his life?

PA-28-180
30th Nov 2005, 07:59
HD-that was my response as well. Guess he's never seen the 'little elephant walk' at LAX,CHI,SFO,etc, etc, etc! :p

ThrillHouse
30th Nov 2005, 08:56
AFTN fails almost daily from most South East Asian and Pacific countries. I work right next door to our Oceanic group and it must be every day that I hear 'Nandi AFTN is Down' or "PNG AFTN is down' etc etc etc. Thanks for the heads up however.