PDA

View Full Version : Tricky VFR Questions At Interviews

Mr Garrison
29th Nov 2005, 22:20
Hi All,

Going north soon next year to places like Kununurra etc for my first job and was wondering what sorta questions these operators ask with regards to the type of flying they do and what sort of things they get you to do in the flight test.

Thanks to all that reply.......

Mr.G

:ok:

Continental-520
30th Nov 2005, 11:21
Common stuff is going to be items that are pertinant to the operation you are seeking work with.

Examples:

What would you do to troubleshoot a failed engine in flight?

How would you deal with a cabin fire in flight?

What is the maximum takeoff weight of a C206, or C210, typically?

What does manoevreing speed mean?

What do you understand by the term 'engine management'?

When do you need to carry/wear life jackets?

What do you cover in a passenger brief?

Fairly straight forward simple stuff really that you should know to even be issued with a CPL, with exception to the aircraft type specific stuff.

You might get the odd hypothetical thrown at you; i.e. You've landed out at a remote station, and you notice there is a very obvious and concerning oil leak from the CSU. Can you fly home? What would you do?

You have a fouled up spark plug(s) which are resulting in a 250rpm drop on a mag check. You're at a gravel strip. How would you de-foul the plugs? What would you do?

So, as you can see, a lot of it will be common sense.

The most I have ever done in a check flight for a SE VFR job was a steep turn and a stall. Oh, and a glide approach from overhead a strip at 1500' AGL. Yay. If you can't pull that off, you shouldn't be licensed to start with.

The biggest problem you'll have is your own nerves...I was nervous as a granny at a strip show at my first job interview, but any experienced CP will be able to tell just by talking to you briefly whether you have your head screwed on properly or not.

Good luck!

multime
1st Dec 2005, 02:32
Personally (above and beyond the serious? initial VFR flight test and questions) i always look at a persons background and how he/she would fit into the lifestyle. ie: Whats it taken for you to get here, have you done the hard yards and are willing to stick things out,?. Do you play sports,? do you drink beer.? ( Important if you want to live in KNX!!). Then watch the approach of employees towards atittude and professionalism. (it,s called the DK HD test):E .
Pass that and show common sense and you,ll probably have a job.

Cheers Multi:ok: