PDA

View Full Version : General RT License

november.sierra
29th Nov 2005, 20:55
I currently hold a restricted RT license in line with the PPL requirements. Does anyone know when this needs to be upgraded to a general RT license and what the process is?

Thanks for your input...

Malcolm G O Payne
29th Nov 2005, 21:37
The term ' Restricted' simply means that the holder is restricted to using radios with 'crystal controlled' frequency selection and not the very old system of manual tuning. All RT licences carry this statement and there is no need to change the licence.

november.sierra
30th Nov 2005, 06:33
I was told that at some stage (which if I remember correctly was before the IR), there would be a further exam to upgrade the RT license to general rather than just restricted, no?

Malcolm G O Payne
30th Nov 2005, 07:52
No. Once you have obtained an RT licence it is yours for life. and there is no upgrade This is why examiners are strict in their examining. Further to my earlier post licenses now being issued no longer have the word Restricted on them.

Genghis the Engineer
30th Nov 2005, 08:36
Further to my earlier post licenses now being issued no longer have the word Restricted on them.

I have my original here issued in 1993 which says "restricted" on it, and re-issues from 2000 and 2005 which don't.

G

bfato
30th Nov 2005, 11:04
Different question, I know, but what about if one wanted to add HF, or remove the 'VHF only' restriction altogether?

Keygrip
30th Nov 2005, 11:22
16 question HF written paper with a suitably qualified R/T examiner.

It's all based on raadio theory - unlike the VHF.

bfato
30th Nov 2005, 11:31
Aha. Thank you

november.sierra
30th Nov 2005, 11:56
Thanks, that's cleared it up a bit better.