PDA

View Full Version : RAF or NAVY for flying?

Danny_manchester
29th Nov 2005, 17:08
Hi, i am now thinking about joining the forces, but where is the best place to join, eg RAF or NAVY?..

Ed Winchester
29th Nov 2005, 17:23
Danny, I suggest you do a search in this forum - this question been asked lots of times before.

Generally - Navy say join Navy, RAF say join RAF, AAC say join AAC, and some people who have left the Services say 'don't do it, I wouldn't join now, not like in my day', whilst dribbling soup down their ties.

Horses for courses, and dependent on what you are interested in flying.

joe2812
29th Nov 2005, 17:45
Try here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166273&highlight=RAF)

(I made that thread... no-one bloody uses it! :rolleyes: )

Use the search function (top right corner, next to 'FAQ' and 'Forum Home') and search for things such as 'Application', 'OASC', 'FAA' and any other relevant terms you can think of.

Neeps
29th Nov 2005, 23:34
(I made that thread... no-one bloody uses it! )I've read it several times if it makes you feel better ;)

teeteringhead
30th Nov 2005, 09:47
some people who have left the Services say 'don't do it, I wouldn't join now, not like in my day', whilst dribbling soup down their ties. .. don't talk about BEags like that ....;)

Talking Radalt
30th Nov 2005, 12:49
Army: Digging holes and driving big trucks
RAF: Flying and wooing fine wenches
Navy: Rum, bum, baccy......and being metaphorically and literally lost at sea.

:E

cobaltfrog
30th Nov 2005, 13:33
Ed - not strictly true that we are all that parochial!

If you want to fly helicopters join the navy
If you want to fly jets join the RAF
If you want to have a short flying stint (stand fast the few) and like flying but not enough to stay in the cockpit join the AAC

ALL have their good and bad points. Stand by for a lot of time away no matter who you are with. The other thing you need to think about is can you cope with Sandhurst, Cranwell or BRNC - the former being the hardest!

Good luck

Training Risky
30th Nov 2005, 13:44
Army: 1 tour flying a cab, then the rest of your time flying a desk (there are the odd few exceptions to the rule)

Navy: Lots of flying in cabs, but too much time at sea searching for the golden rivet and using those annoying words such as 'oggin' and 'shipmate'. A select few get to fly RAF Harriers but again, too much time in sh!tty sandy rocky places or..... floating on the oggin with your shipmates.

RAF: Fly any and all types for as long as you want, provided that you can cope with sh!tty sandy rocky hot places and copious amounts of b0ll0cks in the form of CDT, EO trg, orderly officer, etc.

Rolls Royce gold-plated option: RAF multi-engine fleet = flying is nowhere near as demanding as rotary/fastjet (multi-crew = spare capacity up the yin ying), loads of cash (rates), the best hotels, ATPLs handed out on a plate (multi-engine turbofan/prop, multi-crew, etc), and you will spend the rest of your life in a grobag.

incoming!

airborne_artist
30th Nov 2005, 15:17
If you like being shouted at, and shouting at people, and marching up and down, and digging holes just in time to fill them in and move off, join the Army.

If you can hold your lunch, when all around you are losing there's, you're a man, and a man's place is in the Navy.

Bob Viking
30th Nov 2005, 15:40
....along with lots of other men. In a cramped boat. At sea for months, with nothing to do but get very friendly! Sounds like a riot.
BV:E

TBSG
30th Nov 2005, 16:10
Army - Apache. Nuff said (and you WILL get more than one flying tour). Plus the AAC doesn't insist on you being an officer to fly - in which case you never fly a desk.

Navy - Sea Kings. Just like a real helicopter, only slower. And spend more of your time away than anyone else (but only in Iraq).

RAF - fast jets, fast egos. Everyone will hate you. So why bother? Multi engines - Air 2000 in a growbag. So why not work for Air 2000 instead?

:E

Talking Radalt
1st Dec 2005, 08:54
RAF - fast jets, fast egos

...and what of the premier heavy lift twin-rotary assets?
Helicopter flying the way it should be.
Gung-ho grunty flying (as per Army) with a more gentlemanly attitude and less shouting (as per RN).

Bob Viking
1st Dec 2005, 11:25
Everyones entitled to their opinion I suppose.
So you fly the Apache do you? Wow.
I'm really jealous. No really, I am!
BV:yuk:

FlyJohnny
1st Dec 2005, 11:48
To be frankly honest, if you don't know which Service or future role you want to be part of, then it is unlikely you will have enough determination to get through to the end. Military flying is not a club - it is a vocation.

Tourist
1st Dec 2005, 18:23
Rubber Jonny
What B@llocks.
Vocations are so lower class, a bit like the Air Farce actually, whereas the Fleet Air Arm is the proudest and most exclusive CLUB in the world.
Till you've done it from a ship, you're just an amateur.:ok:

ShyTorque
1st Dec 2005, 19:05
"Till you've done it from a ship, you're just an amateur."

More like - till you've HAD it done TO you on a ship :ooh:

Tourist
1st Dec 2005, 19:13
You are quite right ****e,
Some of the little Steward girlies are very accomodating during the early morning shake, and perfectly safe as long as you dust them down with a little fullers earth!:O

junglie-driver
1st Dec 2005, 19:25
Having worked with RAF and the Army, I'm so glad to be in the Senior Service! If you're seriously thinking about joining the crabs have a look at their Mess Dress first - V POOR! "Fingers in doors come to mind!"