PDA

View Full Version : Circuit direction ....

newtrainer
29th Nov 2005, 16:34
Hi there - I'm new to the PPL training and I was just wondering if circuit directions are always the same? If not, how do you find out which direction to fly when joining?

I realise it depends on the runway in use but I'm not sure how you find out so I thought i'd ask!

Thanks

Squadgy
29th Nov 2005, 16:44
No, they differ - however the 'standard' is left hand, this is to afford the P1 an uninterupted view of the airfield from the left hand seat.

The cct direction can be determined by several means when joining:

- Observe what other aircraft ae doing
- Observe the signal square markings (if the airfield has one)
- Information/ Instructions over the R/T or telephone briefing
- Information publised in UK AIP or commercial flight guides

A right hand cct may be flown for a variety of reasons e.g. noice abatement, high ground on one side of the airfield etc etc

FullyFlapped
29th Nov 2005, 16:54
but I'm not sure how you find out so I thought i'd ask! Yep, that's the best way to find out ! NEVER be afraid to get on the horn and ask ! (Squadgy is quite right about the rest of it of course!)

FF :ok:

fireflybob
29th Nov 2005, 17:14
Left hand is the "default" circuit direction - Rules of the Air state that all turns in the circuit will be left hand unless ground signals (and/or, presumably, the A/G, AFISO, ATSU) indicate otherwise.

At some airfields though fixed wing and rotary have different circuit directions, so be aware!

However, if you are told Runway XX that MEANS left hand circuit!!

It they say Runway XX Right Hand Circuit that means Right Hand.

newtrainer
29th Nov 2005, 18:02
Brilliant - thank you :ok:

ProfChrisReed
29th Nov 2005, 19:13
Except if you're visiting a gliding site. If it's gliding only, most circuits are likely to be on the downwind side (to make the base leg into wind which gives the pilot more time to adjust).

Where it's a mix of gliders and power, it will probably be gliders one side and power on the other.

But this is generally irrelevant, as the only "standard" circuits at a gliding site are those by just pre- and post-solo pilots. You might find real or practice competition finishes (Vne approach at 100 ft or less, climbing into the circuit), joining the circuit at base, gliders flying circuits simultaneously on opposite sides, or (if one pilot I know is flying) an approach in ground effect.

No engine means we're all improvising and (I hope) looking out like crazy.

Bizzarely, this works remarkably well, and I've seen a dozen gliders landing at my own club within 5 minutes, no problems other than a long push back for some of them.

If you are landing at a gliding site a wide circuit is not recommended, as everyone else is flying a much tighter circuit and will not expect you to arrive from that position.

BillieBob
29th Nov 2005, 22:50
It's an interesting point that the ANO 2005 states:

(5) Flight in the vicinity of an aerodrome

Without prejudice to the provisions of rule 39, a flying machine, glider or airship while flying in the vicinity of what the commander of the aircraft knows or ought reasonably to know to be an aerodrome or moving on an aerodrome, shall unless, in the case of an aerodrome having an air traffic control unit that unit otherwise authorises:

(a) conform to the pattern of traffic formed by other aircraft intending to land at that aerodrome, or keep clear of the airspace in which the pattern is formed; and

(b) make all turns to the left unless ground signals otherwise indicate.

Which implies that all airfields that have chosen to dispose of their signal squares have no means to institute right hand circuits on any of their runways.

Note that the ANO states specifically 'ground signals' with no reference to RTF instructions, light signals. etc.

Mind you, there's little benefit in being dead right about these things, is there?

DFC
30th Nov 2005, 09:44
Note that the ANO states specifically 'ground signals' with no reference to RTF instructions, light signals. etc.

There is no method for passing the circuit direction through the standard light signals.

One will find that most aerodromes which have variable circuit directions and no signal square will only be available to aircraft with radio or at least PPR to non-radio aircraft.

However, since the radio signal passing the circuit direction is always going to come from the ground, that I believe would be a ground signal (signal from the ground).

Regards,

DFC

Sans Anoraque
30th Nov 2005, 10:00
I remember when I started training, chopping and changing circuit directions could be very confusing, so here's a good tip. Whatever direction the circuit is in, when joining, all turns should be made in that direction and the runway should always be visible from that (ie, left or right) side window.

TractorBoy
30th Nov 2005, 10:56
I also found the following tip useful when approaching an airfield -

Look at the DI. If number of the active runway is on the same side of the DI as the circuit direction, then you are approaching the airfield on the live side. If it's opposite, then you're on the dead side - e.g Active runway 23, RH circuit. If the number 23 is on the right side of the DI, you're on the live side.

Genghis the Engineer
30th Nov 2005, 11:07
Yes, left is the "default", but in any case virtually all airfields will always use the same direction, for the same sort of aircraft, on the same runway. This should be stated on the airfield approach sheet (AIP, Pooleys, AFE, etc.) It's normal (legally required?, not sure, but should be) practice to read and understand an up to date approach sheet for any airfield you are going to use.

G

Penguina
30th Nov 2005, 12:20
While left is in theory standard, I have found that it is normally totally variable and virtually every airfield has its own policy. Maybe in a less crowded place, with fewer little villages everywhere, things are more standardised. I don't think I've ever flown anywhere (that has some kind of radio service) that just assumes you're going to fly a left hand circuit.

Having said that, I've been to very few non-radio airfields so far.

Gertrude the Wombat
30th Nov 2005, 19:18
chopping and changing circuit directions could be very confusing Too right. Whilst a student I did actually cope with a runway change whilst in the circuit (the wind had shifted round enough to favour another runway), but only after I'd considered climbing out of the circuit and re-joining the new one.

Audio
30th Nov 2005, 22:54
at my airport they can change it all the time. during one circuit lesson i was cleared for left hand circuits when going down the runway about to rotate when ATC told me to fly righthand circuit.

so also be aware that it can change at any moment.

also my airfield has left hand for one rwn direction and another for the other direction.

newtrainer
30th Nov 2005, 23:18
Thanks for the replies - Yeah I do find it quite confusing at times. For example, if the cct direction were to change due to WX and you're flying a left cct... would you make a 180 providing you know you're clear all around then continue your approach? Or is there a certain procedure or position that you work by before initiating the change of direction?

Many thanks

newtrainer
3rd Dec 2005, 14:15
Anyone? :confused:

Flik Roll
3rd Dec 2005, 15:12
Continue as normal, land, take off and turn t'other way!

foxmoth
3rd Dec 2005, 15:55
For example, if the cct direction were to change due to WX and you're flying a left cct... would you make a 180

There are a number of ways of doing this, you can just take off and (subject to Air Traffic being happy with it) do a 180. I would suggest until experienced that the best way is to take off, climb to the normal crosswind turn height then turn in the new circuit direction then in the same direction at circuit height, this will put you on the dead side going in the right direction then to turn crosswind into a normal circuit for the new runway - as pointed out though, many airfields have local rules and or glider/helicopter circuits in the opposite direction and these all need to be looked at first. (why not ask your instructor who should know WIHIH at your field):hmm: