PDA

View Full Version : Raw data skills

Olendirk
29th Nov 2005, 15:32
Hey gents,

would be nice if i could get an answer of all of your reading here.

Im sure that we all had very good raw data skills when we came from school.But now, if we are lucky and get a job from an airline, what happens to those skills. Use of maximum equipment means flight director and autothrottle. But how to handle the sim check? What are you doing to keep your raw data skills up to date?Sim flying? Mental training? Lets get some ideas of it. And how do you think about it? My opinion is that beginners in line flying can get some massive problems after one year when they seldom fly raw data. When you're flying raw data, where,how etc would be interessting to me.

well a lot of questions,

thanks a lot

sincerely

OD,Denmark

Piltdown Man
30th Nov 2005, 09:55
It is important to remember that when line flying you follow SOP's. If that means that no raw data flying is allowed, then so be it. But everyone else will be in the same boat as you. And one would hope that your company are prepared for the results that they will see in the sim. And finally, should we be practicing for the sim? I thought the job of the sim was to prepare you for the plane.

BlueVolta
30th Nov 2005, 18:21
When you do a company sim, they want to see you handling the emergencies as per SOP. Chances of getting multiple failures are remote. so for example a single engine, VOR approach without FD is not the thing your going to get in a company.
You will practice a Raw Data ILS which is not great problem, may be an ILS approach on stand by instruments will be the maximum. And of course the goal will not be to fly in this conditions but to get on the ground safely and nothing more.
In some airlines your nearly always on autopilot in other you are a little bit more "free" about your choice.

redsnail
1st Dec 2005, 11:11
Fortunately our company encourages hand flying and even raw data approaches whenever we don't carry pax. Of course you pick the time and place, a raw data approach into London would increase the PNF's duties greatly and thus not good for safety.

Many guys get lazy and thus don't bother with manual flying untill the sim. It's a skill that needs to be kept up to speed because a/p's do fail albeit not often.

If it's gusty etc I like to get the a/p out at around 1000' or higher to get a feel for what's going on. This makes the landing easier for me.

powdermonkey
1st Dec 2005, 15:02
Hi guys

I'm not yet CPL standard so at the risk of sounding like a complete moron who should never be allowed on a flight deck...
can you clarify "raw data skills"? Does it mean just hands on flying on min equipment, ie no automation?
Thanks

redsnail
1st Dec 2005, 19:03
Hand flying with no flight director guidance.

powdermonkey
1st Dec 2005, 21:43
Cool, thanks:ok: