PDA

View Full Version : Initial climb speed

Guatico
29th Nov 2005, 13:51
Hi,

Ok, I gather initial climb speed is V2+10 as a standard.
My question is for how long has V2+10 to be kept? and... When is it the time for further acceleration?

Thanks guys. :)

Intruder
29th Nov 2005, 14:58
Two scenarios:

If noise abatement close to the airport is of great concern, hold V2+10 to 3000' AGL. Then accelerate and clean up. Thrust is reduced to Climb thrust at 1500' AGL.

Otherwise, hold V2+10 to 1000', then accelerate and clean up. Climb thrust per your Flight handbook.

Localiser
29th Nov 2005, 16:24
Depends on three factors really:

1. Manufacturer SOPs

2. Operator SOPs

3. Individual airport noise abatement procedures

For example, some airports want you to maintain V2+10 until 3000 ft! Each airport can differ and exact noise abatement is detailed in the plates (eg. Jeppesson or Aerad). Some airports have no noise abatement procedures at all - in which case you would revert to 1 & 2.

Cheers,

LOC :ok:

411A
30th Nov 2005, 06:11
My airline, V2+10 (limited by body angle) is maintained 'til 800agl, then the normal flap retraction schedule is used...if no other procedure is specified by the particular airport.
Then accelerate to 330+ knots in the climb, if approved by ATC.
Thereafter, M.86 cruise.

Faster is better...and we let a few 'invited guests' watch, from time to time.:ok:

Guatico
30th Nov 2005, 09:44
I see :ok:
So, could any of you please post such 'flap up' schedule? I assume it'll depend on the type of acft, obviously.

mupepe
30th Nov 2005, 10:23
Single or two engine climb ?
bank angle limited during climb?
can you be more precise ?
thank you and keep blue side up:O

meadowbank
1st Dec 2005, 07:53
Guatico
Speeds for the various stages of flap retraction are calculated prior to departure. In essence, these vary according to the amount of flap used for take-off (typically about half of it) and the weight of the laden aircraft. These speeds are 'bugged' on the Air Speed Indicator (ASI). At acceleration altitude (generally 1500 ft agl, but, as already mentioned, 3000 ft at some airports and 800-1000 ft following engine failure), thrust is reduced and the nose lowered to accelerate. As each pre-set 'bug' is passed, the next stage of flap is selected, until it is 'clean'. If the speeds for an unladen aircraft were to be bugged and the aircraft was heavy, selecting, say, flaps to 'up' could result in a stall.

Using the 757 as an example, the calculated speed at which the flaps are finally selected up may vary by as much as 50 kts (58 mph), dependent purely on weight.

Oh, in case you were wondering, a 'bugs' are just little bits of moulded plastic that can be set at any position around the ASI. The generic term 'bug speed' is often used to refer to the speed that is 'bugged' as the target final approach/landing speed, which, of course, is also dependent on aircraft weight, though corrections are also applied according to windspeed, gust factor, possibility of windshear, etc.

Hope this helps.