PDA

View Full Version : Small charter company interview

Saul
29th Nov 2005, 11:10
Hey

Now I've scrolled through all the topics available and I havent seen this question asked, if it is there somewhere I appologise.

I'm an NZ pilot about to move to Oz after I done my instrument rating, i'm clued up on how to convert and where to go for jobs etc etc but am unsure about what to say at an interview I may get.

I will be looking into the small charter companies first but if that fails i'll try a cattle station job, anything really.

I am obviously going to study Oz law big time and spend some cash to get some Oz hours so i'm confident on your different procedures but what else could they ask me on, P of F???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JetABro
3rd Dec 2005, 04:13
If it's your first job then I wouldn't worry about an instrument rating, it's unlikely to be needed right away and IFR over there is a bit different (better of doing it over there when you need it). Your money would be better spent going to the places where the operators are (northern Australia mostly), buy a car and go see them all. Right time, right place will most likely be what gets you the job. So being there is a good start. It's a great idea to do a couple of flights to understand the different way they operate (but don't worry it's not so different). It might be best to do it in the area that you are likely to be operating so you can get a feel for local procedure. This will also be helpfull to get some inside knowladge on the area, ie: operators/people to talk to, who's hiring, who not to wok for, etc. Also you will need to get use to the kiwi jokes, their nothing personal, it's just some Aussies dislike us (I think they fear our superior intelligence?fs!!, but be careful, some don't even understand sarcastic comments!!)
Oh yeah, you will need a few bucks to buy beers, sometimes this is the only way you can get some people to talk to you (CP, other pilots, etc), it's a great icebreaker as well. But be careful, make sure your not the one that gets drunk, never a good look when they don't know you!
I hope that helps and all the best.

:p :ok:

4SPOOLED
3rd Dec 2005, 05:33
i heard there is alot of work on the sheep stations right now, you should be right at home there......:ok:

JetABro
3rd Dec 2005, 23:02
Now you see that's good fun harmless humor.
What isn't so fun is for an operator to string you along for 6 months to a year and then tell you to "f#@k off because your a kiwi"(his words, not mine).
But I guess at the end of the day that small packaged man can keep his planes (which don't seem to be doing that much work any more, karma) and his backward sence of humor. There are a lot of heaps better operators in Australia with out needing to waste you time with the likes of that guy.

That might be a bit off topic, but what I'm getting at is dont do the work if you have to lower your standards, esspecially when it comes to safety. If the operator can't find at least a couple of bucks to pay you a week then you have to seriously think about where else he's tring to cut costs. And that applies to both sides of the ditch!

Good luck mate, enjoy:ok:

iceblock
4th Dec 2005, 18:16
Check da PM's.....

Jack Collins
6th Dec 2005, 05:27
Here's what I did! Didn't win me any friends but it worked for me!
As soon as possible try and partake in some social drinks with your potential new boss.

1. Offer him your undying loyalty.
2. Offer to pay for your own endorsements.
3. Tell him you don't mind working for less than the award.
4. Laugh like a clown when his jokes aren't all that funny.
5. Turn a blind eye when it comes to safety related issues.
6. Let him know you'll bodgee up your flight and duty times if he wants you to as employing another pilot is way more expensive for the company.
7. At any opportunity run down and rat on your fellow peers.

These are only a few of my tricks I've used to climb the aviation ladder and so far its worked!!
This is the criteria that most small charter companies are really assessing when employing a new pilot. Your flying standard, ability to make decisions and your integrity are way down on his list of needs when employing a new pilot.

jasmine
6th Dec 2005, 20:47
Jack Collins.
It is dickheads like you that have made aviation the way it is today. There once was a day when pilots were rewarded for all the hard work they had done to get where they were, and the pay once reflected that.
But now, because of short sighted wankers like yourself, who come along and undecut everyone else, operators now think it is normal to shaft young pilots, and we are forced to accept it because we know that if we dont, some tosser like jack collins will

Cloud Cutter
6th Dec 2005, 20:55
....... hook, line and sinker:E

J430
7th Dec 2005, 01:03
Dear Jasmine,

There is a method of communication called Satire, I suspect this might just be an example of it!!

Don't be so stressed:ok:

J

GW_04
7th Dec 2005, 01:29
LOL....ahh dear :p
Nice one Jack

Still laughing :ok:

Jack Collins
8th Dec 2005, 00:58
Sorry if I mislead you fella's.
I was actually being deadly serious.
As I said it has worked for me!!