PDA

View Full Version : G'day Has Been Stolen !!

AustinPowers
28th Nov 2005, 13:08
Hello Hello Hello,,,,

Listen to any ATC/Tower frequencies these days,,,, not just in Australia but in and out of SOCAL / JFK / Okinawa etc etc ... everyone's fairly comfortable in saying "Good Day Sir"........

Not the good old Strian G'day....but... "Good Day Sir"
Pretty cool 'ha.... just sounds fan-bloody-fantastic I reckon !!

Which was first .... "Good Day Sir " or the mighty ol' "G'day Maite" ?

Groovy aey' :ok:

king oath
28th Nov 2005, 21:05
I'm just waiting for a chinaman to say "hooroo mate".

Milt
28th Nov 2005, 21:50
What is/was the Kiwi greeting?

The PM
28th Nov 2005, 21:54
The haka. Nice and friendly

ThrillHouse
28th Nov 2005, 23:04
Oh, I just thought that was the FO accidentally announcing the drinks service on the ATC frequency
'Cup a tea, Cup a tea"

Pass-A-Frozo
29th Nov 2005, 09:46
How's about a middle eastern controller in the gulf who when he heard an Australian accent check in would put his best Aussie accent on and say "G'day Champion"

pakeha-boy
30th Nov 2005, 03:13
P..A...F no mate...what he he said was ...."gidday w@nker"...not champion......your hearing test...how much did that cost???...born at night...not last night...tainahi

Pass-A-Frozo
30th Nov 2005, 03:58
what he he said was

Who's he he? :=

divingduck
30th Nov 2005, 15:40
Pass a Frozo...

That could have been one of my trainees if it was on Muscat Frequncies.

First thing I teach them is the correct way to say G'day.

(now currently teaching them ta-ta and hoo roo so expect more of that too)

Pass-A-Frozo
30th Nov 2005, 19:58
To quote the price is right.. "Higher..." ... Kuwait center.

Perhaps you can tell me the correct translation of "Habibi" ..

The rest of the crew thought it very amusing when I used my poor arabic to say "Marsalama", he came back with Marsalam Habibi.

:confused:

NIMFLT
1st Dec 2005, 02:15
I believe Habibi means friend or good friend.

translation... G'day mate.

Mike

Pass-A-Frozo
2nd Dec 2005, 00:38
That's better to hear. We had an embassy staffer onboard who was telling me it meant "dear". As in what you'd say to your wife. The rest of the crew spent the rest of the trip that day ribbing me about it.

Essential Buzz
3rd Dec 2005, 11:47
Haven't heard "hooroo" from the Chinese yet, but a good number of them have learnt "g'day" by osmosis - either from the abundance of Aussies plying Chineses skies these days, or by virtue of the ATC College in Tianjin (allegedly set up and run by Australians?)

If the latter point is correct, can someone please tell them that jets prefer not to descend 250 miles out and faster is better. (I'm sure the local carriers adopt the "fly low, fly slow" principle, particularly during descent.)

Waka Rider
5th Dec 2005, 07:57
A few Russian controllers around Nowosibirsk produce an ace G'Day as well. Also it surprised me when he finished with G'Day after speaking Russian with some local traffic. Hogans influence is far reaching

flying machines
6th Dec 2005, 06:36
In response to your question, g'day is short for good day (English), hence the " ' ". Therefore 'Good day' came well and truely first.
FYI 'mate' was in use by cockneys in London before Oz was even settled.

Hope I've answered your question.

Waka Rider
6th Dec 2005, 18:36
FM

Very correct, often a group starts something then we simply do it better.

jon s gull
7th Dec 2005, 04:49
Are'nt there a lot of foreign pilots being trained here in Aus as well. This may be contributing to the proliferation of Aussie slang internationally. Imitation being the best form of compliment.

petitfromage
7th Dec 2005, 05:27
Is Nowosibirsk somewhere near Novosibirsk.....or perhaps youre just pronoucing it as the Chinese do? After all they have lots of trouble with the pronunciation of "V".

Although slight thread creep.....why do Chinese pilots with Cathay call themselves "Cafe Pacific" on the R/T?
Youd think you might want to learn to pronounce the name of your own company?

Similarly Qantas seems to be pronounced "Kwan'is" (no "T") by their pilots.....or perhaps I just dont understand the subtleties of the Aussie drawl?

grusome
7th Dec 2005, 09:13
- subtlties -
Now, that's really suttle!