PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Rating anxiety

Mintflavour
28th Nov 2005, 12:35
Hi
Anyone have any advice / methods to overcome anxiety attacks.
Situation is that I am about to embark on the instrument rating and already anxiety is kicking in. I had a fairly bad time with the CPL (possibly instructor conflict), but since then I have done the FI with no problems and currently instructing on a part time basis and enjoying it.

However, the spending of the biggest chunk of money raises questions in my mind but I know I have just got to bite the bullet.
But the fact that this is said to be the most challenging course and hyped up with failure stories, I am finding that anxiety is already starting before I have even started the course, which makes me wander what I will be like come test day.

Does anybody have any advice to overcome this anxiety or any words of wisdom?
Did anybody find that doing the FI before the IR (like me) make the IR any easier. I.e. possibly more developed aircraft handling and accuracy skills help to lighten the work load.

Many thanks

mint

Number Cruncher
28th Nov 2005, 12:45
The instrument rating is tough, but it is also very manageable. Funnily enough if you get the basics right it will make everything so much easier. Practice having the aircraft straight and level and know the attitudes for climb/descent/ILS/1 engine etc and all should go according to plan.

The mental arithmetic is not too difficult, but try and jot a few things down on paper before you go flying. For example headings in the hold, timings on the inbound and outbound. They're not difficult to work out but with so many things going on you can easily get muddled up and I know one very competent guy who partialed on that very last point.

Another thing drilled into me was one thing at a time. I.e. don't go bugging headings in the turn!

If there is one thing that slightly troubles me is the RT. They will talk to you when you really can do without it and they seem to drone on and on, but I guess you just have to learn to deal with it.

I'm sure your FI experience will give you some kind of advantage with things like S&L and attitudes.

Good luck and enjoy.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
28th Nov 2005, 12:48
I wouldn't worry about it mate, everybody goes through it.

One thing I would say, is the IRT is NOT as bad as you think it is going to be and how alot of people make it out to be. I had sleepness nights worrying about the course and the test, but, it is just a new set of skills you have learnt, and you will demonstrate them on test day.

On a personal level, I found that on test day, I was fully prepared for the test. On saying that, I must admit I was fairly lucky with a few things, in the respect that everything went to plan.

Instrument flying is quite demanding, however, I think the ease comes when you have that spare capacity to cope when things don't go to plan, for example, change to clearances, runway changes when anticipating a procedure, going around the hold again etc etc. Also, being ahead of the game and being ahead of the aeroplane helps a great deal. I did my IR before I became an instructor, but I am sure that your skills in flying will help you, in terms of freeing up that capacity. Are you instructing on MEP? If so, that will definately help you! When I started flying the twins, I must be honest, to begin with I found them demanding, but it was new to me, just like flying a C152 on your first PPL lesson. I am sure you can now fly a C152 in your sleep :D.

In a nut shell, don't worry about it. You can only do your best, and I am sure that will be good enough. Which reminds me, I have my IR renewal next week :eek:.

All the best.

EGBKFLYER
28th Nov 2005, 12:55
As an FI yourself (and given your previous experience), you know how important the right instructor is. I can think of two things you could consider:

1. Spend a good amount of time researching the schools on your shortlist and definitely pay them a visit. If possible, try to speak to the person most likely to do your course (easier at smaller schools and if you know roughly what date you want to start). Focus on whether you think you would get on with the culture of the school and the manner of your instructor.

2. Don't focus on PPRuNe! People have all kinds of reasons for writing what they do and you would be a little bit 'out in the cold' if you breezed everywhere declaring how easy an IR is! This leads to some of the myths about this course. Try to talk to people you know well, who've done the IR. Get them to break down what exactly was difficult/ stressful and relate it to your own personality - their (hopefully) objective opinion could help you to work on your weak points in advance.

Lastly, sounds cliche and it is difficult to given the cash involved, but try to look forward to learning the new skills and proving yourself. You've come this far, so you're obviously not completely useless eh?!

Best of luck.

benhurr
28th Nov 2005, 13:22
Best bit of advice I had was "Enjoy it"

You will never fly so well again so make the most of it.

no sponsor
28th Nov 2005, 13:35
I think the biggest single reason for failure has been that the student just isn't ready to sit the test. You have to have a very open relationship with the instructor, and the CFI about your progress.

I knew a few at my school who were really worried about the test. The view that a failure was the end of the chance of getting a job, plus all the additional expense, proved too much, and they worried all day long after about hour 3 of the IR course.

The truth is, that you will know when you are ready. I know I was, and I had the trust in both the CFI and my instructor when they said I was ready. Sure, you are going to be nervous - everybody will be- and the walk to the CAA exam centre really isn't that pleasant. But I can assure you, the nerves go when you ask for clearance, as there's too much to do.

So,

- be honest with your ability
- don't put unnecessary pressure on yourself, for instance, you only have enough cash for one more IR flight before the test.
- don't give yourself time pressure - you will complete it when you are ready.
- practice on the sim in your spare time, but don't overdo it.
- go to a school with a good record of first-time passes
- take each day as it comes, there's no need to worry about the test day for long while yet.
- you will know when you are ready for the test.

Caudillo
28th Nov 2005, 17:03
Benhurr is spot on - and as an aside - we all had/have those feelings - I promise you, the second the aircraft has left the ground - it all changes, you'll be back in your element.

Good luck!

Field In Sight
29th Nov 2005, 09:59
I did the FAA IR just after passing my FI test and found it to be quite hard work.

Then I insructed for about 250 hrs before doing the JAR IR conversion.

The test for JAA IR was actually quite easy, relative to what I was expecting that is.

To be fair, the test ran almost exactlyl as briefed on the ground which helped.

The instructing helped me in the following ways.
1. Using the radio everyday at work.
2. Flying accurate attitudes. This allowed me to instruct and chat to students, talk on the radio and still demonstrate that flying can be done to precise tolerances.
3. When your own students go for test, you realise that they have all the skills necessary. The test is just a quality control exercise by the CAA to check this.

I think the last one is the most important. If you are going to fly for a living just accept that tests are a part of life. You will do well in some, crap in others, but you will pass at some point.

Good luck anyway.

FIS

ONEWORLD_86
1st Dec 2005, 00:05
Hi,

Have got my IR next week and i too was at the begining worried what with all the stories you hear, but im going into it fealing confident because i have had the honest open relationship with my instructor- giving me the confidence, and have come to appreciate a few basic things.

Manage your workload well and you keep calm and on top of things. Try to do as much planning as is possible beforehand, so that you are clear in your mind as to the course of events in the air, obviously you cant predict ATC but you will have greater situational awareness and be more prepareed to action the next stage of the flight.

But most of all, look forward to it and enjoy it, afterall its what we all love doing, even if it is under IF screens!

Hope it helps, Best of luck with the IR.:ok:

Mintflavour
1st Dec 2005, 08:09
Thanks to you all for your responses.
It has been interesting to hear your views and it has been very helpful.

All the best

mint