PDA

View Full Version : Some good news or is it!!!

nuclear weapon
28th Nov 2005, 11:32
Heres an article from todays daily telegraph. To those of you in the industry scroggs and co. Is this true or the journalist doesn't have an insight to what a lot of guys like us on these forums are going through.

Asian demand lifts pilot salaries
By Philip Aldrick, Business Correspondent (Filed: 28/11/2005)

British pilots and flight engineers are in such high demand from Asian and Middle Eastern airlines that salaries have risen by about a fifth, new research shows.

Recruitment of experienced UK pilots has soared because China, India and the Middle East are the world's fastest growing passenger markets. Airbus, the plane maker, has estimated that Chinese airlines may need 1,790 new aircraft in the next 18 years, while India's air travel market is growing at 25pc annually.

Huge, multi-billion dollar orders for new Boeing and Airbus planes have recently been placed by carriers such as Emirates, Etihad, Air China and Indian Airlines.

Demand for British pilots is taking off because they "are highly regarded in the global airline industry", said Andrew Middleton, a director of aerospace staffing company Wynnwith.

"These regions have stepped up their pilot training programmes but the expansion of their airlines is outstripping the rate at which aircrews with the necessary experience can be produced."

A survey by Wynnwith of 850 advertised vacancies for UK flight crews found that 32pc were for jobs in Asia and 20pc in the Middle East. Just 25pc were for UK airlines.

Mr Middleton added that "foreign airlines are becoming competitive in terms of what they are prepared to offer". He continued: "British airlines are having to compete on pay with rivals. For budget airlines, the challenge will be getting the staff while retaining their low-cost business model."

According to Wynnwith, "hourly rates for 737 captains in the UK have risen 20pc over the last eight months".

Further research showed that 23pc of advertised vacancies for aircraft maintenance engineers are for jobs in the Middle East and Asia. The figures are expected to increase sharply as the relatively new fleets being operated age and their maintenance requirements increase.

747 Downwind
28th Nov 2005, 18:43
It certainly appears that this is the case.. I have read a great deal on this subject and what The Telegraph states has a lot of truth. Many agencies are crying out for 'EXPERIENCED' Captains.. there is a particular concern in India and China I believe. India, to my knowledge does not except ex-pat F/Os (don't qoute me on this) but Captains are in great demand. However, it appears the demand for experienced 737/A320 etc rated captains is still high in the U.K.. will these Asian carriers be able to lure British captains? The T's and C's will have to be mighty good:p

747 Downwind:ok:

Airist
29th Nov 2005, 01:23
747 DW, interesting comments. But you say "India does not except ex-pat F/Os.." Do you mean "except", or "accept"? It changes the whole sense of the point you are making.

(Eats, shoots and leaves.)

scroggs
29th Nov 2005, 01:42
Hourly pay rates for contract pilots in the countries mentioned may well have risen by 20% or so, as the article says, though I've no data to support or deny this. I don't think this implied pilot drain has yet had much impact on either UK airline recruiting or pay rates, despite their claims. It may be that there will be an effect in the near future, but at the moment I have my doubts.

The pay on offer in China and India is currently way below what an experienced and established pilot can expect to earn in the UK majors - or, for that matter, the traditional expat airlines like Emirates, Cathay, Singapore and Gulf. Until the Chinese and the Indians start offering pay similar to what I get at Virgin, but free of tax and with several other benefits, you won't see any kind of rush from our majors. There will always be those, however, who are attracted by the expat lifestyle from an early stage in their career. These pilots have to accept that if they make that choice, that's it for life unless they're prepared to come back at the bottom of the pile.

Scroggs

PPRuNeUser0215
29th Nov 2005, 05:09
Seconding Scgroggs

Yet I feel the figures are rather misleading.... Indeed my company hasn't felt the need to offer more that 2.3% and Easyjet (market leader according to their adverts), doesn' feel that 1.2% is more than adequate for their long serving staff (remember no payscale, no loyalty bonus for FOs and only 2.3 % pay rise spread over 12 Monhs (fact but only for UK bases.... The rest gets a.... Freeze, Zero, 0).

So as much as I feel this article is good news, I feel that our partners have a long way to go..... 20% of not very much is not not very much...

747 Downwind
29th Nov 2005, 16:26
Airist: Well pointed out:cool:

I am sure it's not the first time I've got the two confused in written text.. say the two real quickly one after another.. much harder than sizzling sausages:p

747 Downwind:ok: