PDA

View Full Version : PPL Question - Help please

Londonboy29
28th Nov 2005, 08:48
Hi guys...I have a quick question. I was hoping someone could give me some help.

I'm about to start the PPL groundschool. I've got all of the Trevor Thom books from a pilot friend...my questions are:

1) I have the book numbers 1 - 7....do ALL of these need to be completed for the PPL. If not, which ones do?

2) How thorough do these books need to be read...??

Many thanks.

LB

edited to remove the stray 'k' that found its way into the word 'help'.........

Flik Roll
28th Nov 2005, 08:51
Depends how much you want to learn...And yes you will need 'em all (If you want to pass that is)

EGBKFLYER
28th Nov 2005, 09:44
You won't need much of Book 5, though it's still useful for the instrument bits and pieces...

CherokeeDriver
28th Nov 2005, 11:32
I found the books good general reading, but it is the mighty "PPL confuser" that will get you the pass in the exams. Read the books, Do the confuser questions, read the books again, sit the exams. Good luck!

mazzy1026
28th Nov 2005, 11:55
LondonBoy - don't read all the books in one go and then tackle all the exams - read one book, test yourself with the confuser, then pass the exam and move onto another subject. There is a lot to learn (if you want to learn it) so don't just rely on the confuser. Get yourself the ARC-1 (Whizz-wheel as it's known) and learn that inside and out - it will be a huge benefit, especially in the Navigation and Flight Planning exam - both of which are exams that require good understanding, as a lot of it is calculation based....

Most of all, enjoy your flying!

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask ;)

Best of luck,

Maz :ok:

Whirlygig
28th Nov 2005, 12:22
Londonboy,

When you read through the Trevor Thom books, he does say whether the chapter is relevant or not to PPL, for example, there is a chapter at the end of Human Factors on Survival which is not required.

There are other Q&A books around as well as the PPL Confuser which I didn't think was that good.

Cheers

Whirls

funfly
30th Nov 2005, 15:50
Read the Trevor Thom books for information and use the confuser to pass the exams.