PDA

View Full Version : Best ever Airline TV adverts

Beer Can Dreaming
27th Nov 2005, 22:53
I remember as a kid airlines advertising on TV regularly.

In my opinion the best were always TAA adverts.
Their catchy "Up up and away" lyrics, their adds with the TV camera mounted on the tail of a B727 flying over some of the most picturesque places in Oz and their "if you could see me now" adverts in the early eighties.

I do remember as a kid a Qantas advert that boasted it cost 6 cents a mile to fly with Qantas.....whats it now?

The "I still call Australia home" adds are a real advertising coup - even those not liking Qantas enjoy the add (well, in my house anyway).
If only those bloody kids could sing something else!

Also the Lufthansa add made me laugh with Flight Attendant Jane Von Sponek saying something along the lines of "we dont really march down the aisle saying Achtung" or words to that effect.

MMmmmmmmm.................za Jermans are cummingk!

Any other airline adds you guys recall?

troppo
27th Nov 2005, 23:03
Southwest Airlines have an archive...
Southwest (http://www.southwest.com/about_swa/advideo.html)
Hotpants, boots and miniskirts...what more could you ask for?

Woomera
27th Nov 2005, 23:05
Moved, interesting idea, wrong forum.:ok:

sinala1
27th Nov 2005, 23:53
One of the best I have seen is the ad's Virgin Atlantic used for their Upper Class Suite - the 'Get Your Beauty Sleep' campaign - very very effective advertising! I have a copy of it on my pc, but don't think I am able to post it here on pprune :{

Ron & Edna Johns
28th Nov 2005, 00:02
Slightly different slant on this thread: the Qantas ads have intrigued me recently with regards to the message they send, compared with some of the outcomes Qantas wants to achieve. The message the ads send is one of: stirring patriotism, travelling the world but also flying home using an Australian icon. However that is really at odds with management's desire to (a) offshore the workforce and (b) lift the foreign ownership cap.

By running such ads just strengthens Australians' "ownership" of the company. They do not want to see the icon de-Australianised. It makes it harder to smoothly move the workforce offshore. The average Aussie does NOT want to see Qantas 100% foreign-owned, so such ads actually make it harder to get pollies to lift the foreign ownership cap (because the pollies know there would be an electoral backlash).

So... are these ads REALLY that successful, in terms of achieving the company's deisired outcomes? Yes and no. Yes: keeps Aussies flying Australian, but maybe no: for the reasons above.

Just some thoughts.

Fris B. Fairing
28th Nov 2005, 00:21
One of my favourite Qantas adverts was from the sixties. It showed a 707 on a long final with four lovely sooty smoke trails and the accompaniment of the Burt Bacharach song "Reach Out". The commentary began; "We paint two words on our aircraft - Qantas and Australia". I suppose a copy survives somewhere.

Howard Hughes
28th Nov 2005, 00:55
When I was a kid in the seventies, I always liked the Qantastic adds, probably still know most of the words to the song!!

I guess those adds are partly responsible for what I am doing now.;)

HH. :ok:

Animalclub
28th Nov 2005, 02:21
Whilst based in USA in the 70's two advertising campaigns come to mind...

PSA... long gone intra state California airline had billboards showing their female cabin attendents in hot pants with the words
"Come and see why your husband always asks for the aisle seat"

(The term "partner" wasn't used in those days)

The other was a Qantas poster of a Koala with a raised fist a la "black power" with the words...

"Koala Power"

The LAX office couldn't get enough of those posters!

Pinky the pilot
28th Nov 2005, 02:43
I remember the Koala crawling across the tarmac and then trying to push bags off the conveyor belt or whatever with a voice over saying that he (the koala) hated Qantas because it brought more and more people to Australia and disturbed his sleep!
Now some really do hate Qantas, but for entirely different reasons.

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

hbomb
1st Dec 2005, 00:36
Doc
How do you - credibly - maintain your rage if you never travel QF?

gary gearbox
1st Dec 2005, 00:45
The new "lynx airline" advert seems to get my attention each time!!

GG

NAMPS
1st Dec 2005, 01:30
GG beat me to it, you can't get better than the Lynx ad...

http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5080341,00.jpg

:} :ok:

Fliegenmong
1st Dec 2005, 01:38
Beer Can

Saw the thread and instantly thought of the tail mounted camera on the 727, wonder if that can be found anywhere?

SkySista
1st Dec 2005, 05:10
NAMPS, just saw this thread after posting a topic regarding JQ's reaction to the above ;)

Must admit, i did like Virgin Blue's 'fart in the elevator' ad :O :cool: :p

Capt Claret
1st Dec 2005, 05:51
Don't know that I can ever recall seeing a whole CC being so blonde and buxom. :(

gary gearbox
1st Dec 2005, 08:31
CC,

Or anyone for that matter. Please let me know where it is when you do! Most of my lady pax are a far darker complexion. They could also benifit from the product advertised...

GG

newswatcher
1st Dec 2005, 08:43
If "best ever" are also most memorable, then the "Singapore Girls" - "great way to fly" seems to "stick". Also the British Caledonian adverts in the early 80s - "I wish they could all be Caledonian girls" sung to the Beach Boys "Californian Girls".:ok:

Transition Layer
1st Dec 2005, 22:41
Ahhh the Lynx ad. It gives me goosebumps everytime I see that cute brunette curling up in bed next to that dude, biting her lip in anticipation.

Oh why oh why can't we have Cabin Crew that look like that??

:D
TL

Hugh Jarse
1st Dec 2005, 23:54
Although not Australian, this is my favourite.

Warning: Contains adult themes and jive talkin':}

Ghetto Dellta Airlines Commercial (http://www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/ghettodelta.html)