PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

bwfg3
27th Nov 2005, 15:05
Gents,

A question from an ignoramus when it comes to flying as Pax. I'm hoping to travel from the UK to Chatanooga in spring 06. My only pax experience is short haul, except for deadheading on Her Majesties finest. The question is, is it worth the extra money to go business/first rather than cattle class? I'm not too worried about the cash, but I want value for money and like comfort and leg room. All views would be welcome. Also, is the airport experience less of a pain in'tarse.( travelling fron manchester );)

Wyler
27th Nov 2005, 15:22
Business Class is great when someone else is paying. Don't think I would put my hand in my own pocket but, then again, it depends on the airline.
First is great but, unless you are worth a few bob, the cost will make your eyes water.
I believe airlines like BA do a 'Super Economy' which I have heard good things about. Worth checking out.
Overall, economy is not that bad if you fly with a good airline. there's plenty of entertainment and the food will support life, if nothing else. You have more beer vouchers at the other end as well.

brickhistory
27th Nov 2005, 15:24
If money is object, then flying first/business is WAY better than with the peasants. Having only experienced the "up front" mode a few times thanks to very nice gate agents (DoD, nor would I suspect the MOD, doesn't shell out $$ for grand travel to the unwashed), the ability to stretch out, be served decent grub by friendly cabin staff instead of being flung a bag of peanuts and a soda from the unhappy stew ('scuse me, flight attendant) who drew the bad duty with the serfs makes for a much better flight.

A little puzzled by your post in the first place. If it weren't better, why would the rich and/or business class pay for it?

As far as airport BS, although I am not familiar with many UK airports, for the rest of the world, it's the same unless you are a VIP.

bwfg3
27th Nov 2005, 16:10
Thanks for the replies gents. I know the service is better brick, the real question is whether it is worth the extra cost. In my case its 300 quid difference for the dates I need, with an estimated 10 hours in the air and 3 hours in airports.

Farmer 1
27th Nov 2005, 16:18
I'm not too worried about the cashSpend it, then, that's what it's for!

Seriously, £300 seems a good price to pay (I take it it's return?) for an upgrade. Check in early and spend time in the airline lounge, and when you board, get your glass of champagne.

Enjoy yourself.

Jackonicko
27th Nov 2005, 16:24
Or fly American, who give a few extra inches legroom even in 'coach'.

Turn up suited and tied at check-in and you might get a free upgrade.....

brickhistory
27th Nov 2005, 17:17
bwfg3,

No offense intended. Guess my question back was meant to wonder why if you've got the $, be uncomfortable?

If I had the cash to spare, I'd opt for better comfort/service.

Hope it's a good trip for you.

BEagle
27th Nov 2005, 17:51
Ever since the glamour went out of Transatlantic flying, seat pitch in Economy means that 10 hours in the air will be pretty uncomfortable unless you're of small build.

Ask the airline what the food, IFE and other perks would be.

If $300 is small beer to you, then definitely pay it!

Which airline, by the way? Look at http://www.airlinequality.com/Product/seat_intro.htm and you can find out quite a lot about the airline. This particular sub site will tell you, for example, that Virgin Atlantic only gives you 31" in Economy, whereas you'd get 38" in Premium Economy. And 7", as any girl will tell you, definitely makes a difference.

ScapegoatisaSolution
27th Nov 2005, 18:37
I prefer www.seatguru.com which gives seat pitch/width info for specific routes/ ac series for the major airlines. It also shows which are good/bad seats if they are near the bar, limited recline, armrests fixed, etc.

scottyhs
27th Nov 2005, 20:18
Blag it!!! Save 300quid!

Turn up on cructhes or with a limp and say you need more leg room, or turn up first at check in and explain you tried to book a late upgrade but was told it wasnt possible and any chance you can take a spare seat now??

Me and a friend did it on the way home from the grand canyon, i mean he was on cruthces so it worked and we got a free upgrade from chicago to manchester!!

gijoe
27th Nov 2005, 21:44
Done the Transatlantic stretch quite a few times over the past couple of years for Liz and for pleasure in all sorts of classes.

BA

World Traveller = Cattle Class.

World Traveller Plus = Bit more legroom, a newspaper and bigger nuts in the bags.

Club World = Cup seats arranged in pairs with opposites facing each other. Seats flatten out to a bed type thing...not quite a bed if you're 6 foot. The business class equivalent.

First = Complete privacy. Too much attention from the staff...but if money's no object then let it burn.

My verdict:

World Traveller + will get you there in good shape but Club World is worth the money if you're coming west-east overnight.

Virgin

Economy = Cattle Class

Premium Economy = Gets you there with a little more legroom.

Upper = The business. Cabin has its own bar and the girls will give you a massage within limits.

Virgin overall feels a lot 'younger' airline due to the a number of things: crews are younger, the music playing as you board, the overall level of customer service.

BA staff are a little bit too sure sometimes that they are working for the 'world's favourite airline'.

Hope this helps.

G

Washington_Irving
27th Nov 2005, 22:38
The West-East "red eye" leg is the real killer. The journey out there isn't too bad as you're wide awake and should have some decent toys to occupy your mind.

BTW, Virgin 744s are unbelievable. Even in Cattle Class you have 50 films, a 50 disc jukebox (both available on demand- no waiting for the start time) the regular tv and radio channels, decent video games including some that allow you to play against other passengers (for the Type A personalities amongst you) a MMD that almost has Google Earth quality resolution, and the food is much better. Oh yeah it has an internal dial-a-mate too. In other words, you're too busy to think about how cramped you are with a 31" pitch.

If you have the cash I'd seriously consider the upgrade though, if only for the return leg when you are trying to get your head down.

You might want to go over to the Trolley Dolly forum to ask about the best ways of ingratiating yourself to the hosties and perhaps getting booted upstairs that way. I once got an upgrade to business class on United airlines in return for a box of cookies, but then I was young and vulnerable looking 20yr old at the time and the rather "matronly" hosties employed by most US carriers took pity on me.

:E

P.S. Echo the above statements about BA staff. They all seem to be under the impression that they're doing you a favour- if only by turning up for work in the morning and not going on strike. W@nkers.

PTR 175
28th Nov 2005, 07:57
Jackonicko,

re: American Airlines. They have refitted the extra seats they took out a few years back. It is now no different than Virgin/BA.

The Gorilla
28th Nov 2005, 11:37
Recently went to Dubai on hols with BA ex LHR. Paid to go World Traveller Plus which we found to be excellent. Extra seat pitch makes all the difference as does the extra width (not that I need it!) It really isn't that much more expensive than economy and is well worth it. Laptop plug means you can play games/listen to IPODS etc all the way to final descent, should you get fed up of the onboard stuff.

On the way back we got upgraded to business class. Lovely comfortable bed seats with matching surly staff who were obviously the worse for wear after a night on the toot in Dubai. Not worth the normal cost IMHO. And yes they expected everybody to go to sleep so they could have a kip before driving home from LHR. Reminded me, apart from the plush surroundings, of the odd VC10 trip to Thumrait!

:ok: