PDA

View Full Version : Questions i should be asking potential IR Training providers??

ramshorn
25th Nov 2005, 10:56
Hi

There was a question posted somewhere on this site a while ago of a similar nature to mine, but unfortunately i cannot find it so i would appreciate it if you could give me some help in compiling a list of questions to ask IR training providers to come tome to a good decision on where to do my training.What i mean by this is maybe the kind of questions you wished you'd asked before forking out large sums of cash to some big smiley guy/girl!?

Thanks ;)

no sponsor
25th Nov 2005, 12:51
I would want to know:

- how many hours do they plan on spending with you: a) in the air b) on de-briefing c) planning & groundschool associated with the next flight

- how many sorties per day

- how many students does the instructor have at any one time. if its more than two (full-time), forget it.

- are you paired with another student? Do you back seat each others flights.

- what is the split between sim and aircraft time. Getting back into the aircraft after time in a FNPTII will take some getting used to. The RT & cockpit management is something that is different between the two.

- how much is done in the multi compared to that of the single.

- how long do they schedule you to complete the course? This will impact you if you over-run, or the student before you over-runs. What is their contingency in planning

- is there an exam centre on the airfield. If there isn't you will have to fly to the airfield that has one, which makes your IR test day more expensive.

- does the airfield you train on have ILS and NDB approaches. This will mean that everytime you return to the field, you can practice something. Again, you get 100% value.

- Speak to current students at length. Don't be afraid to ask if they don't like something.

- What's the payment policy. Pay for flights when you've done them.

- Do they have a sim available which you can train on for free. A frasca will do.

- Ask to back seat an IR flight to look at quality of instruction. Also ask to sit in on some FNPT II sessions.

- Ignore the cost for now. Look at the school, results and get a feel for how you think you'll get on.

- Ask them (& students) for hours lost due to aircraft/sim tech problems.

- When you do look at the cost, remember to look at everything, including ME rating, test for MEP, exam fees, 170A, cost of hiring for test.

- You only do IR training once, so make sure you look at quality rather than cheapness.

- Did I say you must base the decision on quality rather than the cost?

EGBKFLYER
25th Nov 2005, 13:07
I think that's a really good list - any chance the Mods can sticky it or attach it to one of the other FAQ threads?

Charley
25th Nov 2005, 13:37
Also, while these may seem obvious;

- Are quoted prices fully inclusive? (some quotes I've had in the past didn't include VAT, landing fees, approach fees, nav charges, etc)

- Further to the above by no sponsor re: navaids on the field, does the airfield allow ad hoc procedures on request? Many of the bigger places that also serve commercial traffic will require you to book the beacon for a set time. Ask current students, if you can, about how easy it is to book slots/approaches.

- Ask them (& students) for hours lost due to aircraft/sim tech problems.
Consider asking about days lost to wx and crosswinds as well.

no sponsor
25th Nov 2005, 15:08
Yes, good point made by Charley. The time of year & size of airfield will dictate how many beacon slots are available either at your base airfield, or the ones nearby. In the summer, charter traffic can make certain airfields no-go areas. For instance, Exeter only allow very early or late training slots in the summer, and Southampton can rule them out altogether. But, if the training is good enough, you'll be happy to take on any approach, no matter if you've been there or not. My IR test had me go into an airfield I'd not been to...

You might then think, well I'll just do my training in the winter, but then you'll have to combat icing... it's a complex decision process!!

Kazakhstan
28th Nov 2005, 12:39
1 Do you do IR
2 Do you have any IR equipped aircraft
3 Do you have any IR instructors
4 How much is the IR
5 How many hour is the IR
6 Does obtaining an IR mean I can fly into Thunderstorms?