PDA

View Full Version : Codgobblers vs WAFUs

Longstick
25th Nov 2005, 10:32
With the Maritime Something Force/Royal Navy coming into existence (apparently) to deliver plenty of air assets to a fight, what do you Skimmers actually feel about your WAFU friends?

I float this loose question based on a recent overhear by a supposedly important person who believes in Lynx and FF/DD power, not the 'complete waste of money' aircraft carrier.

Gillnecks.....care to enlighten your Fleet Air Arm?

Tourist
25th Nov 2005, 16:51
er......how many fisheads do you think read this website?:rolleyes:

althenick
25th Nov 2005, 19:02
Not many, I can only think of Navaleye and Webf Then theres me who could only be very loosely described as an ex-skimmer.

The WAFU's i've met have been ok, I know one guy in Gannet (PO Tiff - sorry Tech! - Airframes and engines) who's claim to fame is that out of his whole career, he's been to sea for barely a month! The others i've met have always been quite eager to get to sea, and always had a can-do attitude, even doing the fisheady - type things. There's alway's been just a wee bit of rivalry between Skimmers and Soaks/WAFU's mainly because the other two branches of the service get Flying and submarine pay! (Could you imagine it? - Aircrew that manage to qualify as submariners then go back to flying - Think of the Dosh!) and poor old Jack/Jenny has to make do with sea pay (pittance)

Fly Navy

AL

bad livin'
26th Nov 2005, 22:31
We like aircrew, although most of us couldn't eat a whole one.

In all seriousness, ship's flights are enormously respected. They should be - they bring their trusty steeds back on board in weather that scares those driving, never mind hovering in the port quarter following the deck up and down. The capability they bring is essential and so is the banter.

Oggin Aviator
26th Nov 2005, 23:53
I know some fisheads that could (eat a whole one that is). Thats why they dont like going flying as they totally upset the aircraft's C of G!

How's the Silent Service BL?

Oggin

doubledolphins
1st Dec 2005, 14:21
All skimmers are targets. Who needs wafus and carriers (or an airforce for that matter) when you have tlam and trident?

althenick
1st Dec 2005, 16:46
Jungly,

He's just got back from the gulf, Poor boy comes from Newcastle and that's the nearest he can get to home. Have mercy

:O