PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for PPL training near SYD?

puddinghead
25th Nov 2005, 07:25
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a flying school near Sydney for a PPL course?

Thanks

PH

mnbvcxzqwertyuiop
25th Nov 2005, 21:14
Save your money........

puddinghead
27th Nov 2005, 08:12
That's the idea - to save some money and get away from the less than ideal training conditions here and go somewhere where I can sit around in the sun all day drinking beer and talking rubbish while my girlfriend learns to fly!

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

PH

GearOff
27th Nov 2005, 11:12
Sydney Flight Training Centre are worth a look. www.sydneyflighttraining.com.au

Feather #3
27th Nov 2005, 19:43
Curtis Aviation at Camden. PM if you want more details.

G'day ;)

Biggles_in_Oz
27th Nov 2005, 19:57
a pprune search turns up

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=198782
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=174334
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=153378
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=130387
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=117203

takeonme
28th Nov 2005, 00:13
My recommendation is dont do it

kiwiman
28th Nov 2005, 02:24
mnbvcxzqwertyuiop and takeonme

Perhaps you can explain the reasoning behind your comments?

The Edge's Guitar
28th Nov 2005, 05:59
Pudding,
I highly recommend Aerospace Aviation at Bankstown Airport. Alot of my friends along with myself trained here and have flown with and are now spread through QF, JQ, REX, Kendall(no longer). Well priced, good owners and instructors. :ok:

turbantime
28th Nov 2005, 07:47
HA!

Aerospace is the last place I'd recommend anyone to go to. Just do a search on aerospace and you'll see what pops up.

St Elmos Fire
28th Nov 2005, 11:49
Stay the hell away from Bankstown. Not a real instructor in the place. They are all building hours themselves with no industry experience and no idea. The students they turn out are not ready for the real world and how could they be. WHen one of the instructors starts in the charter business, they know what to do and they will not be told because they know it all. Hmmmm, worth a pinch of Puu? NOt.

Go to Orange aviation. Get an experienced pilot to teach you. There is another company based at Parks but I cant remember the name. Will not be hard to find.

Just do it quick before you get your post shut down as someone has asked this before and W may start to cry.

Like This - Do That
28th Nov 2005, 23:36
St Elmo

I hear where you're coming from, but amid the sausage factories there are some decent schools. Crane Air (or whatever it's called now) has a good reputation, and I can recommend Clamback & Hennessy .... but only if Puddinghead has a thick skin and a sense of humour.

Further afield I strongly recommend Curtis Aviation. Get your ab initio in a Citabria, Puddinghead, and have some fun amidst the frustration.

Steer clear of the sausage factories. If the staff wear matching bus driver uniforms and lots of stripes on their epaulettes, give it a miss.

And do some more searches on PPRuNe D&G as Biggles did.

Aussie
29th Nov 2005, 00:32
I got nothing but good comments about Crane air at Bankstown.

Good mob and decent outfit.

Aussie

kookabat
29th Nov 2005, 09:29
Can't believe no-one's mentioned Whitworth yet.

Dogimed
30th Nov 2005, 02:42
Puddinghead,

If you want close to Syd, BK is the best place to go..(for location) and also for busier traffic than other airports near there. I learned at 3 flying schools at BK and they all had positives and negatives. My advice would be to take the day and start at one end and visit as many as you can. Find out which ones will sit down with you and have a chat about your /girlfreinds options. Costs and lifestyle associated with learning and you will see whether or not they are good for you. Ask about instructors and their expierence, what aircraft, and what courses are available and then make the D yourself. Too many different people have had too many different experiences with BK to be of any real assistance.

Things to think about thoughl

1) Age of Instructor, (you might be more comfortable with a young instructor than an old one or vice versa)

2) Aircraft available.

3) Courses avail.

4) Do you want professional training or recreational training.

Anyone else got items to consider?

Dog

Dogimed
30th Nov 2005, 06:01
DO,

See those brackets that say (for location). Camden is another 40 minute drive south and Hoxton Park is probably 30 mins west.

re BK, I agree that most at BK is crap, however not ALL the schools are bad.

How many schools have you been to at BK?

Dog

Dogimed
30th Nov 2005, 10:11
Doc,

You must drive fast...or I slow....

I never said the schools not at BK were bad, I went to 2 at camden and would highly recommend Curtis to anyone wanting to do t/wheel ab initio...its fantastic... my only point was everyones label of ALL schools at BK.

I wouldnt drive the extra 25 mins...my opinion, and possibly others out there. There are good schools at BK, you just have to look hard...

Dog

St Elmos Fire
30th Nov 2005, 14:57
OK Mate. Bk is an easy drive or perhaps even a walk from where you live. Exercise is important as you will learn in Human Factors. IF YOU EVER GET THE HELL THERE.

If you want to listen to some pea brain looser who recommends you go to BK to save putting 5 bucks worth of fuel in your car then go right ahead. Just let me point out that you are going to spend $40 000/ $50 000 dollars on your training, plus time out of work at whatever rate you are on, plus further down the track you have more study for your ATPL's.

Save $5 by going to a convenient BK, or Save thousands by going to a school that will teach you properly. It is your money and if you have too much of it then head along to one of the factories.

If you are serious??? Go everywhere, like others have said, ask how many "THOUSANDS" of hours your instructor has in the industry (not including instructing).

Curtis Aviation was good. Now Steve is gone as far as I know although it has been a while and he may be back. Tail wheels are definably a good grounding for stick and rudder. There was a guy at Mudgee a few years ago as well. Did his own maint and had his own A/C to. Johnson’s at Port Mc not too bad for a PPL, just be sure to note the EXACT price they quote, and HOLD THEM TO IT.

In short, you are going to be spending the money. You sign the cheques, that means, YOU ARE THE BOSS. If you settle for some pimple ridden know all, f#$k all experience dead sh!t from bk with less than SEVERAL THOUSAND hours, that is your choice. But when he tells you that he forgot his ERSA and you have to go get it out of the plane, at least have the fortitude to FIRE THE AROGENT LITTLE CIRCIT FLYING GYMP.

REGAGDS

SEF

DOG

Very hard indeed.

SEF

3RAR
30th Nov 2005, 15:16
Well said St E.

Dude all this stuff about easy to get to, friendly people and even a mention of what the girlfriend thinks,,,,, geeessssss.

It is not a popularity contest. Are you wanting to be a pilot or PC brother of the week?

At the risk of oversimplifing, don't go to YSBK. The place is dead. It is over.

Regional places tend to have carear instructors/ flying school owners who have to face up to the population of small towns with many a bush pilot returning for bi-aniels year after year. I do know that the guy that is in parks is pretty good. If you need a room it is always cheep in those areas as well.

I guess the main thing is you should get someone to teach you that actually knows what they are doing themselves, and that means experience.

Above all, enjoy your training.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, if an instructor cant find his way from ysbk, ybth, yscb, ysbk, without a GPS, how will he/she teach you how to navigate like the sylabus says they have to? Let alone a bad weather diversion on the way.

Peace.

Dogimed
1st Dec 2005, 01:26
SEF,

Pea brain loser eh? Fair enough...hope it makes you feel better.

I am only suggesting to puddinghead that he consider actually speaking to people who are there, Im sure hes got the goods to work out if it is BS or not. I tend to agree with most of the comments re training at bankstown, but I do NOT think they should all be painted with that brush, JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE AT BANKSTOWN.

even a mention of what the girlfriend thinks,,,,,

3RAR, you must be single.

Dog

puddinghead
1st Dec 2005, 23:39
Hi Everyone,

Thanks a lot for all your advice and suggestions.

PH

Dogimed
2nd Dec 2005, 02:40
Doc,

No, I am not... I do know some VERY good instructors though that are at BK, and I was only defending the 'all operators at BK are bad' line.

Personally, I think he should go where he likes...makes no difference to me. But its a bit unfair to damage peoples businesses, and livelyhoods that work hard to provide a good training syllabus and help their students whenever possible. My suggestion to PH to go ask, was so that he will find out for himself.

I still defend my right to save $5 in fuel and an hour out of my day to fly at BK, as there is no NEEED to fly at Camden or Hox. Sure if he finds a better school there, one he is happy with, he should go.

Dog
Edited to remove rant

Horatio Leafblower
3rd Dec 2005, 10:23
Give Scone a call, he's a GREAT bloke.:ok: :E

J430
4th Dec 2005, 08:19
Pud head,

Why not learn to fly where your girlfriend is, or don't you want to be shown up by a girl. Once they get good at it they can be pretty damn fine pilots I can assure you.

As for Sydney......you both should get the hell outa there....its a nice harbour and all.... but otherwise a good place to leave.

Don't come to QLD...we have enough of you here already spoiling our paradise with too many people.

Perth needs you more anyway...:E

Seriously, Just go and do it where she does and enjoy it as you should.....learning to fly that is!!!!

J:ok: