PDA

View Full Version : Response from BAA re spectator facilities

akerosid
23rd Nov 2005, 20:27
Following the announcement by BAA for the redevelopment of T2, I sent a comment using the company's site and got a pretty positive response.

Although they have made commitments and promises about spectator facilities before, this does seem pretty positive:

"Thank you for taking the time to write to us. Your comments have been logged onto our database and will be used in monthly feedback analysis.

The idea to replace Terminal 2 and the Queen's Building with a new Terminal is, at this stage, very much just an idea. We are just beginning the process of consulting with our airlines and other stakeholders. Once we have a clearer understanding of what any new Terminal might involve and what facilities are required, we will then present a much firmer proposal.

However, please be reassured that we do understand there is a real desire and need for better facilities for aviation enthusiasts and this provision is already being considered as part of our plans to renovate and transform Heathrow."

Hopefully, they'll keep to this!

261A
23rd Nov 2005, 20:32
Hope they get some facilities at Gatwick! There was no reason to remove the Skyview as far as I can see and they have done nothing to the site it was on! :confused: :mad:

PaperTiger
23rd Nov 2005, 20:38
Last time I was at LGW, the sky was about the only thing you could view. Runways and half the stands blocked by construction work !

261A
23rd Nov 2005, 20:42
Now all you can see if metal fences etc. blocking it off from everyone!

Out Of Trim
24th Nov 2005, 22:01
261A

The Old Viewing facilities were withdrawn at Gatwick due to the building of a new link to the South Terminal Satellite replacing the old monorail system.

The view from there would now be very poor!

I hope they can reinstate some kind of viewing area in the future.. quite a lot of airport staff used to take their lunch break in that place.

I also hope that Heathrow will reinstate an area to replace the Queens Building too: I spent may a day there plane spotting in the Seventies - 5p Bus ride to Heathrow and spent the rest of the day getting Reg's and listening to airband radios..

Oshkosh George
24th Nov 2005, 22:14
OK,I know it's LHR,but it does annoy me when people post about THEIR airport as though it was the only one there is,and everybody should know where it is they're talking about!:*

Noted though you come from Jersey!

Avman
25th Nov 2005, 18:25
What in Heaven's name are you on about Oshkosh ? What will you be like when 24 hour drinking comes into force?!! ;)

treadigraph
25th Nov 2005, 19:46
Same as me after a quick couple in the D&B after work I should think...

I know what the topic starter is on about, but as part of communicating clearly he could have mentioned Heathrow. Not LHR or EGLL but Heathrow.

My apologies, but after a day in which I have had my workload considerably increased clearing up the mess created by one group of professional colleagues who do not communicate clearly, and then another by a different group of equally professionally qualified colleagues who proved themselves totally incapable of understanding pellucid instructions from a client, I hope you will be sympathetic to my call for clarity.

As a printer said to me once “always assume I am thick”…

Pellucid? D&B? Dog and Bull. A pub in Croydon.
:ok:

261A
25th Nov 2005, 19:54
Out Of Trim,

I have seen that there was a covering put over the monorail satellite but have they really replaced the whole track as I live near by and from what I saw it has just been covered?

Exasperated
25th Nov 2005, 22:38
What in Heaven's name are you on about Oshkosh ? What will you be like when 24 hour drinking comes into force?!!

Oshkosh already comes from a civilised country where 24 hour drinking has been around for years

Ex

Out Of Trim
25th Nov 2005, 22:47
261A

The Old Monorail Track is still there but, the new link is a much higher building that houses travelator walkways to and from the satellite on two different levels to segregate inbound and outbound pax.

Therefore, I think that the view has now been lost forever from the old site.

:(

However, I've not been back up to the old viewing area since - so I could be wrong?

It's hard to say what sort of view is left.

Skipness One Echo
26th Nov 2005, 13:14
Since the level of the main pier at the south terminal was increased and the route to the satelite was rebuilt I'm not even sure if you could see the holding point for 26L anymore from the Gatwick Skyview. A waste of time reopening there now I think. Thinking caps on chaps!

Oshkosh George
26th Nov 2005, 13:24
Treadigraph knew what I was on about,and probably everybody else!

Have you been drinking?:rolleyes:

BRUpax
26th Nov 2005, 13:29
Both at LHR and LGW, if the BAA really wanted to provide facilities they could do so. It doesn't have to be terminal side. It can be fenced off and closed at night. Security staff - paid by the $$$ they would rake in from an admission fee - could be patrolling on site (as in Dusseldorf for example). The truth is the BAA just don't care a hoot!

261A
26th Nov 2005, 13:32
Would like to see some photos of the new link to the Satellite at Gatwick.
I use Gatwick at least once a year always from South Terminal and used the main pier this year and noticed the extra level on the pier for arrivals and the 'old' level for outbound.
Why did they still need the monorail if the link to the satellite now has walkways? Noticed that there are no windows on the link so must be quite dull going through :confused:

A new area to replace Skyview would perhaps be at North Terminal on the roof or at South Terminal on the office block roof as the Skyview was only on the terminal roof then you have the higher office block roof on top of the terminal building roof.

Horsham027
27th Nov 2005, 01:35
Hi all

I have been up to the old skyview terrace in the past month due to a staff sale up there and the views now, to be honest are appaling and it would not be worth re opening on this site again.

The only views that can be now gained are of the stands next to the satellit on peir 2 and the west side of the satellite itself. The vies of the holding areafor 26L have gone and not visable.

Also the only views of peir 2 are that you would only get anything on push back etc.

You can not see over to the East side of the satellite, due to the height of the new peir to the satellite area.

In my opinion the best place for the BAA to place any kind of Enthusiasts area would be that of the old Z overflow staff car park, which does have good views over the runway and the apron, although photography of parked aircraft would not be possible because of distance.

This car park is now manned again car park operatives and i doubt there would be much cost in re opening this if possible as they would be able to keep an eye on the comings and goings.

The only negativepoint about this site andof course any others wold be the security implications involved. Eg Searching of cars etc.

Hope this may answer a few questions from those who do not or have no knowledge of the current state of the Skyview terrace.

Happy flying

Horsham x

261A
27th Nov 2005, 08:13
It is really annoying to me as I live so close to Gatwick and used to use the Skyview loads at the weekends.

It really annoys me more that BAA do bu**er all to find a replacement to skyview and this means all the enthusiasts have to be chased by police if they go near the perimeter fences for a few photos :mad:

The prime location for a new terrace would be on the office block roof of South Terminal. From there you can see 26L and possibly the full runway depending on how wide they make the terrace.

It would ultimately have to be on terminal roof (North or South) but would be good to have two viewing terraces one on South Terminal Office Block Roof and then one from North Terminal roof. Both locations would give great views. Would be minimal cost to BAA they just can't be :mad:

Paul Wilson
29th Nov 2005, 12:26
How about looking at the business case for a viewing area, BAA seem to be primarily a shopping mall owner with a few planes around now anyway, so I would have they would love to rent a bit of space somewhere on their airports to a company providing facilities. Thats all they do with shops anyway, rent out space.

If a business came to them with a plan to rent a bit of ground/terminal etc. that they could not rent out at the moment, and addressed issues such as security, I'm sure they would jump at it. BAA don't really want to run shops, so they lease out the space, they don't really want to run restaurents so they lease the space for them to another company, why should their thinking on facilities for spotters be any different?

If airlines can get away with piping the comms feed to each seat on the aircraft , this new business might be able to get an exemption to allow piped feeds from ATC/Ground/Tower to headphone sockets on the viewing are.

Just a thought

Skipness One Echo
30th Nov 2005, 12:34
What exactly is in the upstairs extension on the main pier at the south terminal. There are no windows so it's all a bit odd. It's the same at the domestic pier at Glasgow.........

261A
30th Nov 2005, 12:52
If you mean the main pier at South terminal as in pier 2 the longest one that comes straight out then the downstairs part os the older bit which is departures and the top bt is the new bit for arrivals.