PDA

View Full Version : Adding RAM

Chitty's Leader
23rd Nov 2005, 20:00
Hi everyone.

I'm looking at adding some more RAM to my desktop - currently 256MB, thinking of adding 512MB or 1GB.

Now, I'm a complete novice at this sort of thing, but understand it is pretty easy to do. I had the back off the computer today, and have deduced I have DDR RAM with 184-pin sockets.

Now, my question. Looking at the various products available, I notice all RAM has a variety of codes. On mine, it says PC2100, while the 1GB module I'm looking at from Dabs.com has PC 3200. Do I need to match the 'PC' number to the newly bought RAM, or can I chuck any DDR, 184-pin module in?????!

Thanks for any help!

maxell
23rd Nov 2005, 20:31
I would check what RAM your motherboard can support if its only got PC2100 it may not be able to support anything above that.
Also windows variants below XP may not like or be able to find RAM above 512mb

Max

NotTheOrganGrinder
23rd Nov 2005, 20:41
Go to

http://www.crucial.com/uk/

and walk through the memory selector. This should tell you which type of memory to use. The specs are not crucial specific, so you can use what it says to buy from anywhere you fancy.

Spinflight
24th Nov 2005, 10:19
Usually adding RAM is a doddle but there are a few things to watch out for.

Make sure that the memory you install is recognised by the BIOS before booting into an OS, I had huge problems once when I booted into my OS's to run diagnostics on a memory stick which wasn't being reognised by the BIOS. In short the OSs were using the memory despite the BIOS not recognising it. It sent them doolally.

If your BIOS allows different sizes of memory sticks then you can often use two different speeds of memory, but the system wil run at the speed of the slowest so better to buy the cheaper, slower sticks which match your present one. Some people reckon that having 2 matching sticks i.e. either buying another 256meg stick or two 512 meg sticks improves system performance. Can't say I've ever tried it though.

Conan the Librarian
24th Nov 2005, 14:35
Interesting point Spinflight - what you refer to is dual channel memory, which is implemented on pretty much all mobos these days. I have never understood it, but now need to.

I have two "matched" 512MB DDRAM sticks, but could use another gigabyte of memory, to perk performance up a bit. I have only three slots and of course, two are already in use. So - the big Q... With matched memory on a dual channel mobo, can I add an odd size (though same spec) stick, or must I stay with just another 512mb?

Over to you chaps!

Conan

ShyTorque
27th Nov 2005, 16:41
I think the only sure way, if you don't have a manual for the motherboard, is to try it. Some boards do need paired sets to work.

I went to one shop to buy some new RAM for an older computer. They tried to tell me that older boards can NEVER work with newer RAM. I disagreed with them (previous experience of building from scratch and upgrading told me that wasn't the case). They then told me I must buy a new motherboard and CPU as well as RAM, so I walked out.

I went to another shop I knew just down the road and they agreed to sell me RAM on sale or return (very good of them). It worked just fine.

The first shop went bust a few weeks later - I wonder why?

Spinflight
28th Nov 2005, 07:52
Well it should work Conan, though I doubt you'll see a huge performance boost with 2gig as opposed to 1 or 1.5gig.

I don't know of any good architectural reason why different sized sticks should't be accepted by the Mobos, though I do know that some Bioses don't recognise the smaller stick of a pair.

Probably best to do a google search and make sure no-one else with your make of mobo has had a problem. In general it isn't a problem as long as you buy the right sort of memory, it's just a rel pisser when it dosn't work. :ugh:

Spitoon
28th Nov 2005, 22:37
And IIRC Belarc Advisor (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) will probably tell you just about everything you'll need to know about your mobo if you don't have manuals etc.

Conan the Librarian
28th Nov 2005, 23:23
Spitoon, that is ASTOUNDING! Thanks for sharing that one - it will come in very useful indeed.

Conan