PDA

View Full Version : Confusing trick exam questions

young_and_dumb
23rd Nov 2005, 01:48
Why do they allways have to make exams so retarded?? I feel like they cause more confusion (pertaining only to the questions here mentioned) then anything else.

I'm talking about the questions where at least two of the answers are right. I'll read my material (mainly talking about air law questions) over and over, so that I can recite them verbatim. But I'll still screw up on some of the questions (practive tests only). Like why is one answer more right then the other?. I know its usually the ommision of info and words in the question or the addition that makes it tricky, again I don't know why they do that, we are pilots not english composition professors.

Are there any tips or hints that can help clear up these questions or make it more clear what they are asking??

I'm in Canada so it's Transport Canada tests, but I'm sure they are have the same type questions world wide.

powdermonkey
23rd Nov 2005, 07:23
Hi Young_Dumb

I had the same frustrations during my Mod 1. In short the exams are not perfect, the only trick apart from trying to understand what you can in the short space of time that you have to study each subject is to do practice questions over and over....then do some more. It will never be prefect, but you will get more or less comfortable with it and this will give you the opportunity to answer a good cross section of the papers. It's not a good system, I would have preffered to really know everything I was learning, but the time factor gets you in the end and it becomes about passing the damn things, so the trick is to keep at those questions....

Best of luck:ok: ... YOU WILL GET THEM....I did and I felt like the biggest simpleton the whole way through...still do!!!

Send Clowns
23rd Nov 2005, 23:15
Most law questions cannot have 2 right answers; th answer must be a verbatim copy of the law, or it is wrong. Anything else would be interpreting the law, and only a judg can interpret law, not the JAA examiners. So I was told when sitting some years back.

High Wing Drifter
24th Nov 2005, 07:23
Lookout for weather charts for a different FL range than the question. You need to interpolate the answer in those cases. Of course, the obviously correct answer is the first on list.

FWIW, many trick questions can be spotted by the number of points on offer. If the question seems easy and it is a 2 or 3 pointer, be suspicious :ok:

geordiejet
24th Nov 2005, 13:02
I hate the one about radio-altimeters, asking what you should take into account; I would have thought the distance the equipment is from the wheels, and thus the bottom (or the bit which hits the deck first). However the correct answer is that you need to allow for computing processor times, which I know for a fact are so tiny that is it negligible. My groundschool also have a note asking us to tell them if this question appears, as they want to appeal it. And unsurprisingly, I got the wrong answer :-()

There are a few I come accross, I forget now! Buts its really frustrating

A320rider
25th Nov 2005, 10:11
no no no!!!,

if the question seems easy, it is easy. that is the catch.
They have some very easy questions giving you lot of points.
You can go easily to 60%-70% without thinking to much...

Do not even think they try to trick you.If you think so, you will fail.

Some people are not english,and they pass their exam with an higher score than you. Do you think they are smarter?no, they are not.
They score better, simply because they just check the right answer, without thinking if the CAA try to trick them or not.

about quizz with 2 right answers?, the first answer is the right one.
I pass all my exams without any problems...I just enjoyed and I was relax at the exams.

read the question slowly(2x-3x), and read ALL answers(2x), and tick the box and go to the next question...is that hard?

when you are finished with your paper, just resist the temptation to correct...and you should score 75% at least.

is that so hard?

good luck

:ok:

High Wing Drifter
25th Nov 2005, 11:54
if the question seems easy, it is easy. that is the catch.
They have some very easy questions giving you lot of points.
You can go easily to 60%-70% without thinking to much...
70% is as good a 0% and there are plenty of difficult and tricky questions out there for the remaining 30%
when you are finished with your paper, just resist the temptation to correct...and you should score 75% at least.

An HPL question from memory:

Q. How long should be spent diagnosing a problem?

a) It is better to make a quick decision than no decision.

b) If there is not a risk to safety, as long as it takes.

c) If there is a risk to safety as quickly as possible.

d) As long as the amount of time available.

:ok: