PDA

View Full Version : Earning a commission

Durka_Durka
22nd Nov 2005, 21:20
Hey everyone

I am about to attend my AFCO interview in a couple of days and believe i have most of the information in place and have been going over all my current affairs etc but i am a bit stumped on the commission side of things.

Basically im not 100% sure what the commission itself is, i am aware of the time period and pension etc but the question bound to pop up is 'are you sure you know what earning a commission takes?' and the problem is that i dont.

Has anyone got any info to help me out, im sorry if this question gets asked all the time by us wannabes but i have looked on a lot of posts to no avail.

Thanks very much

DD

effortless
22nd Nov 2005, 21:29
One possible answer could be-

"No sir, since I have never gone for a comission before but I am convinced as to what I will give. Everything that it is in my power to give sir."

Durka_Durka
22nd Nov 2005, 21:41
Effortless,

Thank you, i was a bit stumped to be honest, as far as i can see knowing the terms of the commission and knowing i will give it everything i have to earn it seems to be the answer, but i just had a nagging feeling that i was missing an obvious answer.

The way some questions are worded seems to leave a lot of ambiguity an i really want to make the best impression i can.

Thanks again

DD

Always_broken_in_wilts
23rd Nov 2005, 07:56
Earning a commission??? have we had a recent change to the entry criteria, is a "Desmond" in under water basket weaving no longer sufficient, earning........not seen that yet in my 31 years:rolleyes:

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

Clockwork Mouse
23rd Nov 2005, 08:33
Try looking up "leadership".

If you succeed in pursuading the Board that you have what it takes to hold a commission, you will then be taught , trained, developed and tested in all the relevant skills, knowledge and qualities. You will be assessed throughout this time as to whether you have what it takes to be an effective leader. You are unlikely to succeed in bluffing your way past the assessors if you don't, though it has unfortunately been known.

If at the end you are commissioned, you will then start to earn it.

Bluntend
23rd Nov 2005, 08:37
If at the end you are commissioned, you will then start to earn it.

Very true - you will learn more about what it is and what it takes to hold a commission in the first 6 months of your first tour than you could ever be expected to learn at Cranwell.

J.A.F.O.
23rd Nov 2005, 12:31
They offered me a commission but I chose to go on the payroll instead.

Clockwork Mouse
23rd Nov 2005, 14:36
Of course they did!

Bluntend
23rd Nov 2005, 14:56
I think this may have already been posted on here but the WO on my team is keen of the expression that "to commission is to bring into service, to warrant is to guarantee capability".

Clockwork Mouse
23rd Nov 2005, 15:02
Outstanding! Pat him on the head and tell him to keep taking the pills.

WASALOADIE
23rd Nov 2005, 15:05
Simple, you sit down and watch all the non-commissioned run around for you.

How many officers does it take to change a light bulb?

Just 1, he holds the bulb and waits for the world to revolve around him!

Only joking, A true commission is earned after years of experience and learning others.

plans123
23rd Nov 2005, 16:49
Wasalodie, In an Ops room, I'll think you'll find its the Non-Commisioned sitting down and the JO's running around after them!!:}

JTIDS
23rd Nov 2005, 16:50
Very hard to say what a commision actually is but on the scroll it says...

WE, reposing especial Trust and Confidence in your Loyalty, Courage and good Conduct, do by these Presents Constitute and Appoint you to be an Officer in Our Royal Air Force from the First Day of xxxxxx. You are therefore carefully and diligently to discharge your Duty as such in the Rank of Pilot Officer or in such other Rank as We may from time to time hereafter be pleased to promote or appoint you to and you are in such manner and on such occasions as may be prescribed by Us to exercise and well discipline in their duties such Officers, Airmen and Airwomen as may be placed under your orders from time to time and use your best endeavours to keep them in good Order and Discipline. And We do hereby Command them to Obey you as their superior Officer and you to Observe and follow such Orders and Directions as from time to time you shall receive from Us, or any superior Officer, according to the Rules and Discipline of War, in pursuance of the Trust hereby reposed in you.

Hope this helps...

J.A.F.O.
23rd Nov 2005, 22:54
Clockwork Mouse

I'LL TYPE SLOWLY SO YOU CAN UNDERSTAND.

IT WAS A JOKE.

Bless him.

Sunfish
23rd Nov 2005, 22:55
If you are Commissioned, you are an officer and, theoretically, a gentleman in the old english meaning of the word. You are supposed to know how to eat with a knife and fork and you become eligible to join the in and out.

pr00ne
23rd Nov 2005, 23:02
Sunfish,

A "Gentleman in the old English meaning of the word" 'PURCHASED' his commission dear boy and never 'earnt' anything from his first day on this planet till his last.

Clockwork Mouse
24th Nov 2005, 07:20
JAFO

Of course it was!

Twonston Pickle
24th Nov 2005, 08:38
Thought that Nu Labour might want to amend the commissioning scroll:

"WE, reposing especial Trust and Confidence in your Loyalty, Courage and good Conduct, do by these Presents Constitute and Appoint you to be an Officer in Our Royal Air Force from the First Day of xxxxxx. You are therefore carefully and diligently to discharge your Duty as such in the Rank of Pilot Officer or in such other Rank as We may from time to time hereafter be pleased to promote or appoint you to and you are in such manner and on such occasions as may be prescribed by the US to exercise and well discipline in their duties such Officers, Airmen and Airwomen as may be placed under your orders from time to time and use your best endeavours to keep them in good Order and Discipline. And We do hereby Command them to Obey you as their superior Officer and you to Observe and follow such Orders and Directions as from time to time you shall receive from the US, or any superior Officer, according to the Rules and Discipline of War, in pursuance of the Trust hereby reposed in you."

JTIDS
24th Nov 2005, 15:10
Hasn't the In and Out club moved to a new location where in/out no longer applies?

teeteringhead
24th Nov 2005, 15:18
Hasn't the In and Out Club moved? ... yes, but it still calls itself The In & Out (http://www.navalandmilitaryclub.co.uk/introduction.asp)

JTIDS
24th Nov 2005, 19:13
My apologies, i stand corrected :O

buoy15
24th Nov 2005, 21:21
Durka, Bonny lad.

One earns a wage, as most labourers do, for their efforts.

One is awarded a commission, assessed on one's merits.

Some of these merits include, grammatical writing, knowledge of future employment, and personal confidence.

First impression is a lasting impression!

When you walk into the interview room, bear in mind:

"What they see, is what they get"

All the best

B15