PDA

View Full Version : Pilot log books

hugh flung_dung
21st Nov 2005, 15:12
For the last couple of years I've been using the large format "AFE Professional Pilot Log Book" but I've suddenly reached the end of it.
I was going to buy the CAA CAP 407 logbook but saw a note that it doesn't allow ME and SE to be logged separately - is this true?
What logbooks do people recommend?

HFD

Dude~
21st Nov 2005, 18:02
I'm having trouble finding a new one with sensible colums too. As an instructor, is it necessary to have a logbook which allows you to separately record instruction flight time and student name?

Genghis the Engineer
21st Nov 2005, 18:44
For what it's worth, I'm one of those people with a slightly oddball set of flying experience, and a strong desire not to have multiple logbooks for various types of flying.

My solution is an old "Airtour Commercial Pilots Logbook" (virtually identical to CAP407) and simply make up stickers on my PC which I stick as required to change the column headings.

Surprisingly perhaps, it doesn't bulk out the logbook enormously either, the book is about 2/3 full and still quite happy despite however many pages of stickers on column headings.

CAA, FAA, etc. have all seen my modified logbook at various times and nobody's ever batted an eyelid at the modification.

Alternatively, although I've never bought one myself these (http://www.leatherlogbook.com/) look rather nice.

G

Freebird17
21st Nov 2005, 19:11
Pilot Warehouse publishes a good one - can't find a reference number but it says "Pilot's Log Book" and "Complies with JAR-FCL Requirements" on the front. Around 13cm x 21.3cm with a navy cover. In addition to the usual A/C Type, Reg, Date, etc. has columns for:-

Single Pilot Time SE or ME
Multi Pilot Time
Single Engine
Multi Engine
2 spare columns
Take Offs Day
Take Offs Night
Landings Day
Landings Night
Operational Condition Time Night
Operational Condition Time IFR
PIC
Co-Pilot
Dual
Instructor
Remarks

scubawasp
22nd Nov 2005, 09:16
AFE professional logbook works for me

hugh flung_dung
22nd Nov 2005, 12:06
The main things I dislike about the AFE log book are:
- co-pilot columns (no use to me)
- small "remarks" column
- "arrival time" (why do we need departure, duration AND arrival times?)

In an ideal world I would make the Date and Pilot columns smaller, delete the Arrival time and Co-pilot columns, and expand the Remarks column. Does this match anything that's out there?

(Dude: student and exercise details normally get written into the Remarks column)

HFD

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Nov 2005, 12:33
An alternative, which is perfectly legal and I keep threatening that I might do once I've filled this up, is the following:-

(1) Design your own on a PC
(2) Go along to a copy shop and have a hundred copies or so done on a really good quality acid-free paper.
(3) Go to a book binder and get them all bound in hardback / leather / whatever.

G

hugh flung_dung
22nd Nov 2005, 13:40
:ok:
Now there's an idea! A log book specially designed and printed by and for the PPRUNE community. Complete with appropriate logo.
But could we ever agree on the content?

HFD

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Nov 2005, 16:12
Actually with a bit of cleverness, we could design it, upload to a PoD publisher, and people can order them online, with any profits going automatically to the Pprune fund! (something like this (http://www.lulu.com/help/node/view/1763), although that particular company's format options would probably force you to a top-edge spine, which might not find universal favour).

G

Gertrude the Wombat
22nd Nov 2005, 16:30
But could we ever agree on the content? You wouldn't need to. If it's print-on-demand each punter designs their own personal custom version.

Dude~
22nd Nov 2005, 16:55
Freebird17, any chance you could take a picture of a blank page of your logbook and post it here? I found the pilot warehouse website, but the picture of the logbook is rubbish and gives no real idea of the columns and layout.

Cheers

Dude

scubawasp
24th Nov 2005, 09:13
Does anyone use electronic log books? if so which ones and are they really any good?

Genghis the Engineer
25th Nov 2005, 12:21
If we're going to try and do this (I'm game, I'll fill mine up one of these days), I'd suggest two types.

(1) Private / light aircraft pilots - allowing breakdown into MEP/SEP/microlight/glider with limited space for night/IR, and perhaps space for recording passenger name(s), tailwheel hours, instructional hours, etc.

(2) Commercial / heavy aircraft pilots & FEs - showing PiC/dual/FE, piston/turboprop/jet, with separate columns for night/instrument totals and so-on.

Designed by committee on PPrune we might well end up with some much more user-friendly logbooks than have been seen to date.

Offering a starting point (this is designed to suit me) here's the label that gets stuck onto my CAP407 equivalent logbook. The top bit goes over the column headings top-right, the bottom bit goes over the summary box bottom-left. Without a doubt this will need modification, but it's a starting point:-

http://www.planetjitsu.com/modules/gallery/albums/Genghises-stuff/Image1.jpg

G

hugh flung_dung
25th Nov 2005, 17:34
I knew it would be difficult to agree.

:confused: If someone can tell me how to paste an image or a bit of MS word I'll add my thoughts.

HFD

Genghis the Engineer
25th Nov 2005, 17:44
Well the way I did it was...

(1) Display on screen here
(2) Press the "Prt Scr" button
(3) Paste the result into Paintshop
(4) Crop it to what I want
(5) Save it as a .jpg file
(6) Upload to a handy website
(7) Note the full url of the image
(8) Show it in my post as [img ]full_url.jpg[/img ]

G

hugh flung_dung
9th Jan 2006, 16:21
Sorry about the sudden death of enthusiasm, life got too busy.
:rant
Why don't the people that sell logbooks include a picture of the log pages rather than a pic of the outside?
:erant

HFD

ORBITAL
9th Jan 2006, 18:53
I Use A Pooleys Jar-fcl Personal Flying Log Book.
Its Quite Large And Well Laid Out And Has A Instructor Column Also A Nice Dark Blue Colour

pilotbear
12th Jan 2006, 11:30
I use the Skylog pro electronic log book. You can fill in all the info and it does all the reports that you could think of. It is approved for JAR.
:ok:
It also has the facility to fill in old cumulative totals in all the necessary categories.

strafer
12th Jan 2006, 15:16
I have an excel based version of the above with totalising columns and the like, which was sent to me by another Ppruner ages ago.

You're welcome to a copy if you want.

FormationFlyer
16th Jan 2006, 23:27
Having tried a number of electronic log books (incl skylog)...I now use Jeppesen FliteLog - and ive got so many columns its 6 a4 pages wide (landscape!) to print out my logbook!!! Damn CAA!! Wont to know time for everything these days!

WRT paper - I used to use a Jeppesen Prof - although design for the states it had a decent number of columns - but their new JAR ones are rubbish...so I recommend - Pooleys Professional. Excelletn logbook with plenty of columns and a decent size remarks column (and I write a lot!!!)

For me now the electronic is the master - every now & again (every 2 weeks) I bring the paper one up to date - if the CAA want a log book I send them the paper one - and it has any appropriate and required signatures in it - but when filling out CAA forms I use the electronic logbook to work out the various figures... (diff ratings/examer/instructor stuff needs to be broken down in numerous ways...)

Thats my tuppence anyway! Enjoy!:ok:

FormationFlyer
16th Jan 2006, 23:29
One comment about all electronic log books - As an instructor its damn hard to sign up your biennial flight, and I cant place my differences training stickers anywhere unless you have a separate sheet to collect them on!!!

So I always advocate running the two - at least you always have a backup should the other fail/be stolen/lost/burnt/lost by the CAA/lost by the post office..... :suspect:

hugh flung_dung
17th Jan 2006, 08:32
FF: any chance you could post (or point at) a scan of a blank page of the Pooley's pro logbook?

HFD

Max T5
18th Jan 2006, 08:25
Jeppesen book is the best

toddm
19th Jan 2006, 21:10
Hi there,

I am about to start my PPL which will hopefully lead to the additional ratings to go commercial. I have bought the following log book but would appreciate some advice on whether it is suitable for PPL level. My idea was to buy a logbook that would be suitable for me for PPL through to ATPL. Is this a good/bad idea? Is this logbook overkill? Does it really matter ;) I didn't realise it was quite so big! Should have probably read the dimensions but i thought log books were all fairly similiar and a lot smaller!
Jeppesen Professional Pilot JAR-FCL Log Book

http://www.flightstore.co.uk/jeppesen_professional_pilot_jar_fcl_log_book.pilot.supplies/use.id.5.item_id.1004.dept.176.dept_l2.179.dept_l3.0/

Thanks for your help,

David.

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Jan 2006, 13:58
The Jeppesen books are rather massive, but certainly there's no reason you can't use that for private flying - you just may well have lost your medical at the age of 90 before you've filled more than a quarter of it up.

In general, professional logbooks are much bigger. Comparing the two on my desk, my Airtour professional book (pretty much the same as CAP 407) is twice the page size and half again as thick as the increasingly scruffy Pooleys PPL logbook book which actually goes with me and gets filled in at the airfield before being copied up (just the way I work).

At PPL flying rates, I'd guesstimate that a professional logbook will probably fill at about 2000hrs, and a PPL logbook at about 500.

G