PDA

View Full Version : Travel insurance for PPL holders

tashi
20th Nov 2005, 20:17
Has anyone come across any travel agents that offer travel insurance for private pilot's? I need insurance for flying in Canada and the USA and so far i've found only one company.

I've phoned several companies where it looked promising, but as soon as I mention the words "flying as pilot" the conversation is over.

And I just watched "John Q" on TV last night so I don't wanna go to the USA without medical insurance cover!

I'm sure there must be others out there, can anyone know of any?

Cheers

FlyingForFun
20th Nov 2005, 20:36
It's been asked plenty of times before, and there are few companies who do it. It's been a couple of years since I last took out this kind of insurance, and my brain has gone a little hazy, but the word "Traffords" comes to mind I think.....

Have a look in the back of the usual mags, and also do a search here in Private Flying, but also in Wannabes (because lots of Wannabes go to the US to do training or hour-building and buy insurance).

FFF
--------------

Gertrude the Wombat
20th Nov 2005, 20:46
Just had a letter from Traffords, saying (in effect) "why didn't you buy your holidy insurance from me this year?".

Well, the simple answer is that this year, unlike when I have bought insurance from Traffords, I didn't do any flying.

But in fact he should be glad I didn't, as we actually made a claim this year (under the "catastrophe" section which covers volcanos, earthquakes and ... Portuguese forest fires which come to within a few feet of your holiday cottage).