PDA

View Full Version : Canuck Sabres

jumpseater
18th Nov 2005, 23:18
Despite trawling through my references I'm stuck. Can anyone tell me if the Canadair Mk5 F-86 Sabres were the same as the RAF MK4's/USAF F86-F's as far as airframe goes. In particular did the RCAF MK5's have leading edge slats or not? Its for a modelling project hence the 'I need to get out more' type of question.
Ta awfully in advance....
js

ORAC
19th Nov 2005, 04:11
Sabre Mk 5
The first production Canadair Sabre to use the Canadian-designed Orenda engine was the CL-13A Mk 5 version, which was powered by the 6355 lb.s.t. Orenda 10. It was fitted with the "6-3" wing and had a pair of tiny wing fences at the 70% span position, which made it the aerodynamic equivalent of the USAF F-86F-30. This "6-3" wing had also been fitted to some late Mk.4s. The first Sabre Mk 5 (RCAF serial no. 23001) made its maiden flight on July 30, 1953....However, the deletion of the leading edge slats had raised the stalling speed and had compromised the low-speed stability. In addition, the increased engine power cut into the range, reducing it more than 20 percent over that of the F-86F.......

Sabre Mk 6
.....The first flight of the Mk 6 (23371) took place on October 19, 1954. The early examples of the Mk 6 had the same extended "6-3" wing with fences of the Mk 5, but later examples reintroduced The wing leading slats while retaining portions of the Mk V wing configuration. Many of the Mk 5 aircraft already in service were retrofitted with the slats.

Sabre Wings - a note for modellers (http://f-86.tripod.com/wings.html)

jumpseater
19th Nov 2005, 20:47
Thanks Orac, its a Mk5 game on then!