PDA

View Full Version : Considering ATC career

roundthebend
17th Nov 2005, 13:45
Hi

My number 1 ambition is to be a pilot, but at 27 I know this isn't going to be so likely. I have always been interested in aviation in general, and therefore ATC seems like a great option which may or may not lead into a pilot career - but it will certainly be a good career on its own.

I wondered if any ATCOs would agree with that view?

Also, can anybody let me know what the salary is for a trainee ATCO?

many thanks

Rich

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
17th Nov 2005, 14:19
NO... Flying is totally different to ATC. Why is it unlikely that you should become a pilot at 27? I worked with ATC staff who went on to become pilots at greater ages than 27 and several are now senior captains. I don't think anyone should look on ATC as some sort of backup if they don't get into flying. Hoewever, whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck.

roundthebend
17th Nov 2005, 15:08
Thanks.

It may come across that ATC is a "backup" plan and in some ways it is. My first love would be to actually fly aircraft. I have every confidence that I can do it and make a successful career of it, but there are financial considerations to get into that career which would make it extremely difficult.

ATC is something that I have had an interest in for some time. I think I am generally interested in aviation. I applied to the RAF for pilot and navigator and ATC cadetships - I think one of the factors that let me down was the fact that I wasn't committed to one in particular.

So, ATC is something that I would really love to do. At the same time, I couldn't see the ambition to fly ever going away. Perhaps ATC would satisfy my thirst for commercial aviation and the financial rewards may be sufficient to fund flying as a hobby.

I hate the fact that financial issues exist, but I'm a family man so when I'm considering my future prospects I have to take the financial impact seriously. I have read that training is about 6 months, I would like to know what salary is paid during that time. I would also like to know what salary is possible after that time - I believe there is a short time of training in-role before becoming and ATCO.

In otherwords, I need to know if this is a viable option to me.

Kind Regards

Rich

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
17th Nov 2005, 16:22
OK, well best of luck and you sure seem to have the sort of background which would assist an application to NATS.

There are many ATCOs who hold flying licences - a good number have CPLs or ATPLs and fly commercial aircraft and even more have PPLs and have their own aircraft. A significant number of the pilots in one particular UK flying company are ATCOs!! So, don't despair. If you really fancy ATC have a go.. then use the money you earn to finance flying..

Spamcan defender
17th Nov 2005, 19:11
Hi, just thought i'd add my tuppenceworth.......

Like you, I was always hankering to be a jet jockey and had got as far as getting a loan all sorted out to fund my fzn ATPL. Loan signing was to be 13/9/01. Needless to say that I kinda said 'I'll get back to you' to Mr bank manager. Now, in hindsight I sometimes regret not sticking with it through the dark times; who knows, I might even have made it!! :ooh:
HOWEVER, these days I am a trainee ATCO in the final stages before validation and have to say that I am glad fate dealt its hand and pushed me in the direction of ATC. Really wouldnt change what I'm doing for all the tea in China :D . Its a fantastic career chioce.
As to the flying, I intend to use the nice wages NATS pay me to do my CPL/IR, possibly get an instructors rating so I can do the two things which I enjoy the most. I no longer look to fly aircraft for a living but still aim to get airborne as much as I can.

As to student wages, I suppose it all depends on which company you intrend working with. NATS wages have all changed at the college since I was there. You may well find it on the NATS website!!

Anyway, I really cannot recommend this career highly enough. Hopefully I will be controlling for many years to come. Go for it, you wont be disappointed

Spamcan

roundthebend
17th Nov 2005, 19:22
That's great! After that first reply from HEATHROW_DIRECTOR I thought I had stepped on a few toes.....I should explain myself more clearly in future.

My age certainly isn't putting me off flying. I think I have matured considerably so my mind is ready and hungry for learning. The problem with flying is that there is a great deal of expense with very slim job prospects at the end. I love a challenge, but my wife and family will probably divorce from me if I screw up!

ATC is something that really interests me. The aviation side of things is, of course, very appealing. However, I have a very technical mind so I love using technology and learning systems and protocols. I also like the appeal of doing something a little bit different to the norm.

I'm in the process of applying for ATCO training......so I will let people know how I get on.

Tweety
27th Nov 2005, 21:58
HOpe it all works out well for you. Go with your gut feeling it is usually right